Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mikepara said:
..you'll get is :

Luftwaffe vs RAF. Flying Clothing of the Air War 1939-45 by Mick J. Prodger.

A really good Schiffer book. Anyone familier with Schiffer know they produce the goods. This as the title suggests isn't just RAF or flying jackets but it is good. This one has a white cover, there's a sister book with blue cover detailing other flying equipment, entitled:

Luftwaffe vs RAF. Flying Equipment of the Air War 1939-45 by Mick J. Prodger.

Prodger's book is very useful for RAF equipment and uniforms, but the two sections on Irvins are helpful but not detailed enough. I would like to know more about the AM contracts, the various manufacturers and to see photos of the verious styles of Irvin jacket from 1932 to the end of the War.

aswatland

Spitfire said:
Beautifull jackets. I have actually never seen one like the last one.

I have previously owned two similar multipanelled Irvins. They date from the years 1944-5. I rather like the patterns created by the leather seam tapes.

aswatland

Spitfire said:
Real gents never talk money - but can you come up with a hint:)

The collection is not for sale. I have paid between £180 and £620 for each of the various jackets. You can still pick up Irvin bargains these days if you are lucky!:)

aswatland

Spitfire said:
Did not think it was for sale.
I guesse it is easier finding Irvins living in England - easier than on the internet, I mean :)

Actually I bought all of them on Ebay. Two from the UK, one from Canada, and one from the USA.

aswatland

Avoid pockets on Irvins. They spoil the line of the jacket and just don't look right. There is nothing worse that when a pocket is fitted to a wartime original!:rage:

Marv

A-List Customer
I have to agree, no pockets.....as Paddy mentioned go for the cheaper end of the market if you require pockets as the ELC and Aero Irvins are much more expensive and it would be a real shame to add pockets to these and an after thought as it would the true to life line of the jacket, just my opinion though.
A good second hand Avaiation Leathercraft Irvin would be ideal as most of these you find have the pockets and at around half the price of the ELC and Aero jacket's not too damaging on the pocket either.

aswatland

Paden said:
I saw a WWII Irvine WITH pockets, made by the soldiers.
But sorry, no pictures.

There were absolutely no factory made WW11 Irvins with pockets. I have seen a few originals with pockets added by RAF ground crew or added post war when the Irvin was worn as a motor bike jacket. People often mistake other jackets with pockets for Irvins, such as the D1 USAAF mechanic's jacket!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Irvin pockets

It's easy to get around the lack of pockets in the jacket, at least in Winter. They are in the trousers!. Remember that it was a flying suit. A gentleman never wears a suit jacket without the matching trousers. I'm wearing my 'Irvin' suit (actually by DGL) for my pre-dawn walks at the moment. Toasty!

aswatland

Alan Eardley said:
It's easy to get around the lack of pockets in the jacket, at least in Winter. They are in the trousers!. Remember that it was a flying suit. A gentleman never wears a suit jacket without the matching trousers. I'm wearing my 'Irvin' suit (actually by DGL) for my pre-dawn walks at the moment. Toasty!

I agree with Alan about the use of the Irvin trouser pockets. The Irvin jacket was often worn over the RAF service jacket and of course the pockets of this jacket and matching trousers were also plentiful and available-so there was no need for pockets on the Irvin jacket itself.:)

These pictures show how easy it was to access their trouser pockets!

Irvin-04--1941s1.jpg

Irvin-03--1941s1.jpg

aswatland

IRVIN JACKETS AND TROUSERS CONTRACTS

I am in the process of compiling a list of Irvin jacket/trouser contracts. I have found much useful information from those jackets which have passed through my hands with labels. I would be grateful for any information from forum members who have Irvin jackets or trousers. The information I need is the contract number on the spec label, the date, size(s) and the name of manufacturer (if present). I intend to share all the information collected on this forum. Many thanks, Andrew.

aswatland

Wconly said:
Check this link....should be a starting point for you. W>

www.flying-jacket.com/irvin.asp

Thanks. I know about ALC and the fact they bought the rights to the Irvin name. It's a shame they don't produce accurate repros of the Irvin jacket!

I have roughly 15 contract numbers, but there appears to be no central record so the main source must be labels from surviving jackets.

aswatland

I have just added this very nice RAF Coastal Command Irvin to my collection. It cost less than half the price of a ELC Irvin. The main zip is a replacement and I will replace it with a DOT or a Lightning in due course. The sleeve zips are DoT, with the AM and Crown. I would date the jacket to late 1940 and the sheepskin is exceptionally fine. The hood was covered with black polish and I have managed to get most of it off! It was possibly made by D.G.L? Any views much appreciated.

coastal1.jpg

coastal2.jpg

coastal3.jpg

coastal4.jpg

coastal5.jpg

coastal6.jpg

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Great collection thanks for sharing. Bet those keep you warm!!! Those would be too warm here in Northern California. I can only wear my B-6 on chilly mornings like this (about 34 degree F here now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot