Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Help - New Irvin

Hello all, just after a little assistance here.

I am looking at buying a repro Irvin or Irvin styled jacket as I have an original which I really do not want to use on an everyday basis.

Now I know that the Eastmans and the Aeros are the closest reproductions, and I have been leaning towards a 1940 Pattern Eastman. However I have started to wonder whether this is the best option for me. I am not a reenactor so my new aquisition will be worn in an "everyday" setting. I am moving back to Norway so it'll get used quite frequently over the colder months. My original Irvin is a little on the short side and I'm wondering whether I'm better off with a slightly longer cut Irvin-style jacket from someone like Aviation Leathercraft.

Interested to hear what people think and their advice.

Just bear in mind that I'm after an Irvin or Irvin stlye jacket so please no suggestions for G-82s, H-19s, A-15s and all of that lot!

TIA,

Tim.

bfrench

Familiar Face
Irvin repro

Smithy said:
Hello all, just after a little assistance here.

I am looking at buying a repro Irvin or Irvin styled jacket as I have an original which I really do not want to use on an everyday basis.

Now I know that the Eastmans and the Aeros are the closest reproductions, and I have been leaning towards a 1940 Pattern Eastman. However I have started to wonder whether this is the best option for me. I am not a reenactor so my new aquisition will be worn in an "everyday" setting. I am moving back to Norway so it'll get used quite frequently over the colder months. My original Irvin is a little on the short side and I'm wondering whether I'm better off with a slightly longer cut Irvin-style jacket from someone like Aviation Leathercraft.

Interested to hear what people think and their advice.

Just bear in mind that I'm after an Irvin or Irvin stlye jacket so please no suggestions for G-82s, H-19s, A-15s and all of that lot!

TIA,

Tim.

Hi, Tim,

Any jacket that is too short no matter how warmly it is built will get left behind in favor of something that will cover your lower back.

Look for an Irvin type look-a-like sheepskin jacket in a longer length - it'll be worn all the time.

Another thing to consider - how snug will it fit around the waist and will it have storm cuffs?

Nothing worse than having the cold north wind blowing up the sleeves and up around the waist.

Bill French

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
ELC

I ordered my B-3 with ELC one size above as recommended by another member, just to get my back and cuffs covered. It's a bit roomy but so comfy!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Bill and NextStepGuy.

I was actually thinking of ordering a size larger if the Eastmans are the same as the traditional Irvins sizings where they seemed to be relatively "snug" fitting. I do want to be able to wear a jumper underneath the jacket.

I suppose I can always ask Eastman if they offer a "long" fitting option like Aviation Leathercraft do.

What are Eastman and Aero sizings like by the way?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Hi Tim
I own a IRVIN from A.L. in the longer version. And - yes - I know, that they are not 100% authentic - but I am very pleased with it. Especially because it is that (important) bit longer.

If you want the real (short) model, you might consider buying a par of Irvin sheepskin trousers to go with it lol

Marv

A-List Customer
I also own an AL Irvin and it is longer in the body than my ELC Irvin plus I think it's very well made also, however it's not an authentic representation of the Irvin but it's damn warm.
From what I can remember the price is similar to the ELC 42 pattern so maybe if you want to keep the authenticity then ask ELC if they can lengthen the body for you.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire and Marv, the AL doesn't look to be a bad jacket even though it's not accurate but the one thing which tends to put me off is that the fleece/fur looks to be very, very long, much longer than on an Irvin. Is this how you guys found it?

I think I need to send off an email to ELC asking if they could add some length to one of their Irvins. I'm imagining the length may need to be five or so inches longer to cover the lower back. Hopefully it's not going to ruin the look of the jacket but I'm thinking it shouldn't.

I just know I'll need that little extra bit to cover the lower back as there's nothing worse than being in -20C and feeling like you're kidneys are freezing!

Thanks to all for the advice.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Let us know what they say please, Smithy. I'm planning on an Eastman Irvin in the next couple of months and this might be something I'd consider doing as well.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Doc,

I have sent an email off to ELC and will post their reply here when I receive it. I'd say it'll definitely bump the price up a tad but that it should be do-able.

Tim.

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
ELC in Large

Eastman jackets are exactly 1" longer in the sleeves and back. Same shoulder and waist dimensions. They are doing that on all their jackets (so does wested on the Indy jacket.)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
Spitfire and Marv, the AL doesn't look to be a bad jacket even though it's not accurate but the one thing which tends to put me off is that the fleece/fur looks to be very, very long, much longer than on an Irvin. Is this how you guys found it?

I think I need to send off an email to ELC asking if they could add some length to one of their Irvins. I'm imagining the length may need to be five or so inches longer to cover the lower back. Hopefully it's not going to ruin the look of the jacket but I'm thinking it shouldn't.

I just know I'll need that little extra bit to cover the lower back as there's nothing worse than being in -20C and feeling like you're kidneys are freezing!

Thanks to all for the advice.

Smithy. I will say that the fur on my Irvin is not longer than the average Irvin. But I guesse sheeps comes out differently;) I have seen another AL Irvin with very "curley" fur. And it did look a bit longer because of that.
I will try to take som shots of my Irvin and post them later today.

Marv

A-List Customer
I have to agree, I wouldn't say the fleece is any longer in pile length than my ELC just more of it making it more bulky as this goes the same for the entire jacket.
The AL feels a lot more bulky than the ELC, I personally prefer the ELC as it feels more comfortable and less restrictive in movement.
I would say that my ELC back length sits just below the belt line on your average pair of jeans where as the AL sits just over the top of the back pockets area so I would say maybe only 3 inches length difference.
Hope that helps.........:)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
Thanks Spitfire, I'd be interested in seeing them.

Here you go Smithy...a bit on the dark side, but I was in a hurry. Hope it helps you to the right choice.:)
L1010086.jpg

And the jacket
L1010089.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's a great looking jacket you've got there Spitfire! You'll look quite the part in it :)

And thanks for the tips on the length difference Marv, that's enormously helpful. I have emailed Gary at Eastman and he has replied stating that they can increase the length albeit not too much otherwise it will ruin the look of the jacket. Your estimation of 3 inches sounds roughly what he has in mind. He's asked for my height and chest measurement which I have sent and I have asked how much extra it will be with the extra length. I'll post his reply when it comes through.

At this stage I am still veering towards the 1940 Pattern Eastman which I've liked the look of since I saw it at their website a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot