Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward

Bartender
Andrew, that jacket looks in fantastic condition. nice too to have the history behind it. I don't recall seeing one before with such a mix of shades in the pile - was that fairly common among the later-war, multi-piece jackets? I can see why it would be. I like it.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Geez Edward, what's happening with your Avatar?!!

I'm happy to take credit for compiling the history on the Owner of Andrew's Irvin, just something I like doing. We were lucky in this case as usually you need to order up records, it takes time and there's a cost involved which luckily in this case didn't apply.

With regards the colour vatiation, funnily enough i just took possession of an RCAF Irvin this month which has the same colouring. i'll post a few more pics soon.

DSC_00042-Copy.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Looks like a good one! I know they seem to be the lower value options on the collectors' market, but when it comes to the original Irvins, I actually find the later war options much more interesting in their design.... I suppose what draws me in is the ingenuity of producing the jackets with limited materials available and with as little wastage as possible. There was a really nice looking late-war pattern Irvin in Eastman's Reissue Depot recently, for an absolute steal (GBP250, iirc). I'd have jumped on it had itg only been big enough!

The avatar.... heh.... that was a club night called "Seven Deadly Sins" the other weekend..... decided to leave off the make-up for once and go in my true demonic form. lol

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have owned several Irvins with the contrasting fleece like the two above. They do look attractive. Interestingly enough both have a link to Canada. Jenkins trained in Canada and Andrew's Irvin belonged to a guy in the RCAF. Could they have been made out there under licence from the AM? I wonder...BTW I am very grateful to Andrew for supplying me with additional details about Jenkins service career.

rogaleo

New in Town
another reference...

I just couldn't stop myself from posting another reference pics. This time we have here polish pilots from the famous 303 squadron and the way they were wearing their irvins.

Dasz_Hen_Lap.jpg
Hen_Ken_Pis.jpg
Lok_Fer_Kent.jpg
after_sortie.jpg

aswatland

The Canadian-born Flight Lieutenant Johnny Kent is the centre pilot in the second pic and again shown in the last two pics. These pics were presumably taken between 2nd August 1940 when he was Flight Commander with 303, which did contain Polish pilots and 25 October when he went to 92 Squadron at Biggin Hill. The Irvins are being worn in the conventional way.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Very nice indeed although...

the lack of hands will undoubtably increase the difficulty of some activities.:)

Please post some pics of the label too Paddy...

Hmm, size 5 would be fine for me.

Windsock

A-List Customer
rogaleo said:

Thanks for these, I was looking for some shots of the Mae West being worn over an Irvin and service dress. I'm now displaying an Irvin at home in a similar way. These appear to be 1932 pattern too so it helps with pre-dating it before 1941 when that pattern was introduced.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hands? who needs Em..?

When you're flying by the seat of your pants ;)

Windsock said:
the lack of hands will undoubtably increase the difficulty of some activities.:)

Please post some pics of the label too Paddy...

Hmm, size 5 would be fine for me.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
(Photos) Panties that REAL men wear..!

DGL sheepskin pants (the second half of the sheepskin suit). War Dept. warning on the label states: "These pants can only be worn by REAL MEN!!" ;)

(I KNOW - I know...so 'what's' Paddy doing in them then, I hear the cry!!!:p Just a teddybear wannabee).

IrvingDGL008.jpg

IrvingDGL009.jpg

aswatland

So Paddy you finally took delivery of Alan's Irvin jacket and trousers. Both in amazing condition. I would like to see a pic of the labels. All you need to do now is grow a little so the trousers fit you!

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
You know, on second thought Paddy i think it looks a tad too large for you. However, I will gladly solve the problem for you and take the jacket off of your hands:D

Edward

Bartender
Nice suit, Paddy!

aswatland said:
I have owned several Irvins with the contrasting fleece like the two above. They do look attractive. Interestingly enough both have a link to Canada. Jenkins trained in Canada and Andrew's Irvin belonged to a guy in the RCAF. Could they have been made out there under licence from the AM? I wonder...BTW I am very grateful to Andrew for supplying me with additional details about Jenkins service career.

It would certainly make sense if the two-tone look was a 'trademark' of a particular supplier - much like the squared off pockets, or the rust coloured knits on certain A2s. The fact that these examples all seem to have originated with the RCAF would tend to suggest a single supplier too....

Edward

Bartender
Ah, Spitfire..... an Irvin suit in California? I take it you're trying to coax Paddy into inducing fatal heatstroke so you can make off with that fine Irvin suit? :p

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Personal Background on the sheepskin...

Some research has shown that F/O Hood was shot down over Holland while serving with 100 Squadron and was executed there by the Gestapo. The local people erected a statue memorial at the spot and a ceremony is held every year. More research to be done as you can imagine.

Edward

Bartender
PADDY said:
Some research has shown that F/O Hood was shot down over Holland while serving with 100 Squadron and was executed there by the Gestapo. The local people erected a statue memorial at the spot and a ceremony is held every year. More research to be done as you can imagine.

An interesting - if sad - story. What time of year is the ceremony? Might make an interesting trip, to take the Irvin suit over...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy