Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
(photos) label, collar, zip.

CLICK PICS to enlarge;)

IrvingDGL011.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the new pics Paddy. Interesting and sad story about Hood. This is the first D.G.L. label I have seen. There have been educated guesses earlier in the Irvin thread about what this abbreviation stands for. My guess is D.Lewis, a London based maker of motorcycle and avaition clothing in the pre-War years. There was also an S.Lewis who supplied similar gear. It could also be short for D Gamage Ltd of London, another maker/seller of motorcycle clothing.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Display.

Thanks Andrew. It will hopefully form part of a display for an RAF SQN reunion at the former Officers' Mess at RAF Middleton-St-George.

aswatland

PADDY said:
Thanks Andrew. It will hopefully form part of a display for an RAF SQN reunion at the former Officers' Mess at RAF Middleton-St-George.

This sounds an excellent idea. It should arouse some interesting discussion or comments from the vets! Perhaps they will shed some light on D.G.L? So does this mean you will not be wearing the jacket and trousers to walk the dog?;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wrong dog Andrew.

Schnauzers just don't 'cut' the mustard with the Irvin image!!;) Really needs to be a daft Springer or a black lab.

Forgot to say. Two weeks ago came across in the local Oxfam shop an NOS wartime RAF Officer's serge blue battledress (the little short waisted jackets for those who don't know the title). £30. Yes, I thought if I waited a few days it would go down in price (as these things do) and no-one would want to pay £30 for it where I live. WRONG!! it went..duh! Lesson learnt.

aswatland

PADDY said:
Schnauzers just don't 'cut' the mustard with the Irvin image!!;) Really needs to be a daft Springer or a black lab.

Forgot to say. Two weeks ago came across in the local Oxfam shop an NOS wartime RAF Officer's serge blue battledress (the little short waisted jackets for those who don't know the title). £30. Yes, I thought if I waited a few days it would go down in price (as these things do) and no-one would want to pay £30 for it where I live. WRONG!! it went..duh! Lesson learnt.

£30 for a wartime RAF war service blouse is dirt cheap. Many that sold are the 1949 pattern and passed off as wartime. Decent sized moth nip-free wartime issued ones go for £180-£250.

So are you going to get a more appropriate dog?;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Judgement error on 'not buying' immediately.

aswatland said:
£30 for a wartime RAF war service blouse is dirt cheap. Many that sold are the 1949 pattern and passed off as wartime. Decent sized moth nip-free wartime issued ones go for £180-£250.

Yes, it was a wartime model [huh] Please don't make me cry on this, AND..it was a great fit (not a munchkin size). What can I say, other than I made a HUGE judgement error on this one :eek:

And bringing it back to IRVIN LAND, it would have been a nice addition this winter layering it with the Irvin or DGL or ELC.;)

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
ah, dont let it get you down Paddy, I'm sure we've all had experiences with the one that got away. This might cheer you up a bit, some pics of the mid-war Irvin I picked up a few months ago. Its most likely a size 4. Its in good shape, but its obviously seen the years with its worn cuffs and stitched repairs. Its nowhere near pristine by any stretch of the word. However its a solid jacket with superb, soft sheepskin. The label is long gone, but I'm guessing its an IAC jacket. Ive seen two other Irvins with the large, square labels stitched through the leather and a mid-back panel seam, and both those were IAC jackets, though of course it is just a guess. It has Eastman RiRi Lightnings on it right now, I do have some proper double trunnion DOT arm zips and a main Lightning but I'm hesitant at the moment to use them. Im just waiting for some nice cold weather now.

P8270014.jpg

P8270016.jpg

P8270017.jpg

P8270018.jpg

P8270020.jpg

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
aswatland said:
Yes possibly the work of IAC. Nice wearable jacket. Is that a strip of leather on the left inside of the fleece?

Yes it is. I have no idea when it was put on, but its not a repair, as theres no tear in the leather at that spot. It was most likely a preventitive measure as the sheepskin is fairly thin in that area, they must have felt it needed re-inforcing. I dont really mind it.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Congrats with a very nice Irvin, Hawk Eye.
And the small leatherstrip makes it even more personal, I think.
Who knows - somewhere, sometimes somebody just did that. To make the jacket better. That's called history.;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That is one seriously gorgeous piece of history you've got!!

You must be chuffed and proud as punch with that baby!! Anyone else chomping at the bit for cooler Irvin weather to come ...? yes, scary I know, but it seems like only yesterday that we were at this point of the year[huh] Roll on some snow and winter chill!!!

Hawkeye, any chance of pics (Just when you can - as I know folk are busy) of the jacket being worn, as these things just take on a whole personality of their own when being worn!!

Once again, a great jacket and just adds to the marvellous resource of photos that this thread offers anyone interested in this iconic sheepskin!:eusa_clap

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nice jacket Dinerman.

Did you get it?

I know some people who like the 'sueded' look that some Irvins get with heavy wear. It does give a nice contrast of the light suede against the darker leather tapes.
Personally, I prefer my sheepskin not to have just 'so much' wear to it - but it's all very much of personal preference. Also, some individuals just 'adore' the later war multi-panels whilst others have a penchant for the two or four panels.
You find some with contrasting fleeced colours, or fleece length..etc, so the different combinations make the whole thing so much more interesting. ;)

Windsock

A-List Customer
My Collection

I just finished re-photographing my four Irvins and it makes a good visual resource. Here they are in chronological order.

Pre-War 2 panel with DOT zips, probably IAC, size 6. RAAF Service dress.

RIMG0053.jpg

RIMG0067.jpg

Pre-War 2 panel with double trunion pebble zips, probably by IAC, size 5. Named to a Flt Lt W.E. Stewart- Jones.
RAAF Service dress.
RIMG0040.jpg

RIMG0048.jpg

1941 dated Wareings Suits size 5. DOT zips. The collar is more square at the tips than most other patterns.
RAAF battle dress and Comfort fund aircrew sweater.
RIMG0075.jpg

RIMG0084.jpg

Same jacket with 1941 pattern RAF Mae West- no bladder.
RIMG0094.jpg

1944 dated unknown maker RCAF Airgunners jacket with interesting artwork. Lightning zips, main slider replacement DOT style from a sidcot suit. Size 6.
RIMG0112.jpg

RIMG0133.jpg

RIMG0126.jpg

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Those are beautiful shots. What camera do you use, and how is the light set up? I would love to photograph my jackets like that but I can never get the lighting right, as a result the jackets never look like they do in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy