Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh my word...that's Irvin heaven you're in my son...

What a corking piece of sheepskin you have on your back there!! Damn fine piece and looks in cracking order too (not that I can see the detailing).

(when you can, get the wee digi out and get a few close up pics please of zips, hood, labels (if any), zip stopper, fleece...etc, etc. I KNOW, it's all effort but the boys here will love and salute you for it, so don't deny yourself the fine tributes coming your way when they get a load of that Irvin!)

I like the fact that you have thought outside the box in your reenacting too. Not too many RN FAA from WWII, so good on you! And should make you much more interesting to folks at the shows who want to know more about their role/service in WWII.

I was just handling a Coastal Command Irvin (just like yours) yesterday, with lovely Lightening Zips, yellowed hood..etc. They go for a comparative song, compared to the more traditional Irvins (sadly, some folk buy them and then butcher the collar by cutting the hood off and turning it into an IrvinStein. Bad!!).

Thanks for coming through on that for us, and WELCOME TO OUR LITTLE TFL-IWC Club.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Have you taken the Irvin leap of faith yet..?

Marv said:
Hi chaps,
Was just wondering which of the Irvin repros available would you consider the most authentic and why........photos would be good if poss.:)

Well Marv, you done anything about it yet? If you need some more thinking time, then think abit more aloud here and we can help twist your arm towards the right direction to take. Go on, you know you want to, and winter is just around the corner...tempting eh?

Marv

A-List Customer
Irvin

Well Paddy, not as yet still got the old Aviation Irvin in storage but with recently purchasing a ELC A2 I need to start saving again for my next jacket (suppose I could flog the Aviation for some extra cash maybe).
I definately like the look of both the ELC and Aero Irvin (seems a bit shiny though) so I am leaning more towards the ELC 42 pattern, however I have also got my eye on the Aero Bronco so it will end up being one or the other I think......looks like I have finally caught the jacket bug now. :)

grant

Familiar Face
Cobden,
Amazing Irvin you got for yourself. Looks like it's in practically new condition.
It's difficult being an Irvin fan here in the states as they are so few and far between except on UK ebay.

Congratulations and enjoy the Irvin this winter,

Grant

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Ebay bargain 'BSA' Irvin!

MyIrvin002.jpg

MyIrvin005.jpg

MyIrvin004.jpg

MyIrvin011.jpg

MyIrvin012.jpg

MyIrvin010.jpg

My very beat up Irvin bought off ebay in March '06, well what do you expect for £16?!
Classic scenario of being vaguely listed, so didn't get many people looking at it. I think I was just doing a search on 'old flying jacket'. The seller said it came in the boot of an old Aston Martin he'd bought!
Not so much of a bargain when you add the £200 or so that Aero Leather have quoted to get it wearable again, but at least I've got a foot on the Irvin ladder! I've always liked them, but never had a good enough reason to get one until a couple of years ago when I bought a beat up old '50's VW Kombi with dubious heating. I wanted to use it all year round, regardless of the weather, at last the excuse I needed! Only one hurdle, no money:eusa_doh: (Doing up said Kombi has something to do with that, it's as rough as the Irvin :( )
Didn't stop me browsing ebay, and I must have been casually watching them for over a year before this one said "Buy Me!". It was obvious from the photo's it needed a shed load of work, lots of bad repairs, rips, replacement collar from something like an old flying suit... But for the money I was prepared to take the chance... maybe I could even patch it up myself?
Once I got it I realised I may have bitten off more than I could chew, but I was still over the moon with the jacket! Looking past all the obvious faults I could see the potential. It'll never pass muster posing in kit next to a Lanc or Hurri, but I wanted a cool looking Irvin that wouldn't look out of place when driving my Kombi around, I think this'll fit the bill nicely. Fit wise it is a little short, but fits everywhere else. My BSA M20 riding wife looks better in it than me though, so I think I may have to share it...

I contacted Gary Eastman and Aero Leather for advice. Gary said they were to busy to do restos, but were happy to supply a pelt for £45, and make up a collar for £75. I'm handy with a needle and thread so doing it myself is an option. Got email from Amanda at Aero, they wouldn't supply parts, but gave a rough quote of £200 to replace the shoulder panel, maybe an arm panel, new arm zips, new collar, possibley restitching the seams... I think this is reasonable as well, and I know they'd do a better job than me! Decisions, decisions....I don't want it over restored, I like the fact it's pretty beat up, and with the '50's grafitti it'll always be a biker jacket...

I'll keep you posted. Be interested to hear other peoples opinions on the jacket. Patina? Potential? Pup? lol

Sorry for the long post, if you've got this far, well done :eusa_clap

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Got it for a song Mike!! Well done and welcome to the Irvin Owners Club!!

REALLY like it Mike, bags of character, great patina to the leather and I see still has the original Lightning front Zip.

Not sure what's happened to the collar and might be worth getting that replaced (at some time, no rush!) with an authentic one (Aero may have a salvaged good one off a knackered Irvin, ask them). But all-in-all I actually think it's in pretty good nick! and for £16 ($30 for our US cousins), it's a gift.
If you have dogs, they'll love it as a basket too!! (you lot will think I've lost the plot, but my dogs love nothing better than cuddling into my old Irvins!! hey, they are squadron mascots..after all).

Love the TEDDY BEAR woolly inner!! I have a thread about my one, and the girls went mad to stroke the old Teddy Bear...embarrassing really, well...not too much!!).

Nice BSA Biker's link to it as well (don't touch that up, please!! leave as original painting, as it just adds to it, you can smell the grease, Bryll Cream and oil and beer and cigs seeping out of that paint!! And that's all the way from the RAF Debriefing room in WW2 to the greasey joe's Cafes of north London with all the Bikers outside!!).

My dear fellow, that's no longer just a jacket, it's a piece of living history on your back, you are merely the latest in a long line of custodians!!

If you don't want to fork out on panel replacements, Will might be able to reinforce the tears from behind as a compromise (but £200 for a full overhall isn't a bad deal!! and get a new hanging chain put in too). Looks great on you and I have a personal preference for the short body, just has that 30s/40s vintage feel to it.

Well done!! Once we've had a few reads of this, I'll move it where it belongs in the Sheepskin thread, as the boys and gals will love this one!!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I don't know what size you are but if you are in the 36 to 40 range you could probably find a pretty good jacket on ebay for around £200 and some time spent on careful searching.

I'd leave that one pretty much as it is. It looks pretty damn cool in the pix. Like Paddy says its a piece of history. The length is fine too, that's the style.

You could patch the tears easily enough yourself. Get some old sheepskin or some sheepskin offcuts from a leather worker and some toluene or neoprene based rubber or leather glue. Evo Stick Impact is excellent. Cut the fur inside round the tear, shave it down with a razor if necessary, cut the sheepskin patch to fit and glue it in. Leave overnight and there you are. If you aligned the edges of the tear carefully it will look like creasing in the leather. It really is that easy.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
I totally agree, there is oodles of history tied up in this jacket, wartime and post war, you summed it up much better than I could Paddy. It's been 'resting' for a few years, but I think it deserves to be worn again! Don't worry, the BSA A10 on the back is definately staying! (I don't think I could get rid of it anyway, even if I wanted too?)

nightandthecity, cheers for the patch up tips. I guess you'd have about an inch of leather either side of the tear? Or could you get away with less? I'd have nothing to loose by doing it that way so sounds like a plan... It's just that main rip on the shoulder that makes it unwearable, the one on the sleeve isn't so bad.

As for the collar, it is pretty nasty. It's got a green cotten lined back and is manky. I like the proportions of it though... I would like a proper Irvin collar, but was worried a new one would stick out like a sore thumb on a jacket with so much wear. I guess it could be my contribution to keeping it going? Worth asking Aero to remember me if they get any basket cases in though...

The sleeve zips are plastic :eek: I guess they work, but as soon as I find decent replacements they really are history! The main zip isn't original, but is a good old lightning.

Thanks for the kind words, nice to know there are others out there who share the same appreciation of these bits of history. I'll post some pictures of it in use later on in the year, especially if Susie wears it on the Beesa, that would be fantastic :cool:

Close Shave

New in Town
Aero for sure!

Hi All

I would say Aero Leather Clothing for sure; I have both Eastman and Aero (and have had Aviation Leathercraft in the past) jackets and certainly as far as A2 jackets go, Aero are miles ahead in quality terms.

Where does that New Zealand made jacket in the pictures come from? I am looking for a good supplier down here - but no luck so far!!

My Aero A2 is in a container being shipped over here - haven't had it for 2 years as I have been "on the road". Looking forward to it arriving in September!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SHEEPSKIN/SHEARLING thread chaps :) thankyou

I love A2's as much as the other man, but..sadly to say, we cannot cram all jackets into this one thread, so that's why it's as the TITLE suggests...SHEEPSKINS. (don't worry, I have to curtail my enthusiasm too for other jacket types)

(But hunt around the JACKET room as many of you do and use the SEARCH engine here to find out about 'other' jacket types).

Thankyou gents for keeping with the title of the thread and please keep those cracking photos coming of your beloved Irvins or whatever, as you just cannot get enough of them! (and Autumn/Winter is just around the corner for those ol' sheepskins to be resurrected again!!).

Close Shave

New in Town
Real McCoys

So how do these compare with Aero/ELC?

There's certainly no shortage of raw material here, that's for sure..!!

However, apart from the photo at the start of this thread I have never seen a RMC version.

Pip pip

Septimus

New in Town
aero or elc redskin B 3 ?

Hi everybody i can't make up my mind:should i buy an aero or an elc redskin B3,which one is the best?I already own a jacket from this two companies (an irvin elc and an aero bronco a2)and i've been pleased by both of them...

Close Shave

New in Town
Aero!

My vote is for Aero, personally. I have owned jackets from both and found Aero more realistic.

I don't think there is much love lost between the two companies though!

Marv

A-List Customer
ELC Irvin 42 pattern vintage finish

Anybody own an ELC Irvin 42 pattern in the current vintage finish as advertised on the Eastman website, I was wondering what your opinions were of the finish as opposed to before they introduced it (plus any idea how long ELC have been doing the 42 pattern in this finish).
The reason I ask is that I may purchase one as I prefer the 42 pattern to the BoB pattern, however the BoB pattern seems to have the newer looking finish but with the extra cost to go with it.
Any info and pics would be greatly appreciated.....:)

Quiet Man

New in Town
Irvin crazy

Have absolutely loved these jackets for so long. After picking up a poor copy in Kabul of all places, this year I decided to start looking for something better. I patiently monitored ebay for half a year and eventually found this beauty:

Irvinoriginal6.jpg

Fits like a glove and the condition is unbelievable for a working garment over 65 years old. I paid 250 quid, which is good value considering the condition.

The jacket is complete and totally original and has come up well after generous amounts of Connolly leather food. Looks like a mid-war garment, beautifully made. I found out a bit about the previous owner:Squadron Leader Whittard, he served in Cyprus, Libya and Sudan, so perhaps had little use for it, hence the excellent condition.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/Shamus_05/Irvinoriginal3.jpg

Realising I cannot wear the jacket everywhere I went for copy and picked up this Aero 1942 pattern for 200 squids, also on ebay from a Danish member. Wonderful feel, but not a patch on the original. Lining looks pretty dark but perhaps it will lighten up with age. So for the price of a good new copy I have bagged two excellent Irvins, so I couldn't be happier.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/Shamus_05/Irvinoriginal4.jpg

A word on sizing. The original reads 'Size 4 36-38 breast' but is almost the same size as the Aero, that is designed to fit a 44' chest.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/Shamus_05/Irvinoriginal4.jpg

Quiet Man

New in Town
Thanks, a combination of patience and luck. Whilst under the influence of ale I bought a third Irvin from e-bay. That was a mistake, patched and badly worn and used as a biker's jacket: smelt like a rotten sheep. Not sure what to do with it...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Welcome to the elite Irvin owners club on the Lounge!

That is some hum-dinger of a baby you have there. But in Turkey? is it likely to get much wear time? As I cannot imagine it is any cooler than the likes of Libya where the original Sqn Ldr was serving. Or maybe I've got it wrong the Turkish climate!
Anyway, that's superfluous the the fact that you have bagged yourself some cracking jackets there, especially that first original one! But then when it comes to Irvins you are preaching to the converted with me. And that 1942/43 model is a beaut by the looks of things!! Hope the guy did a good deal for you on it!!

But as you rightly pointed out, 'good things come to those who wait...'

And finally, welcome to the Lounge, good to have you on board!

(PS; When you have a moment spare, could I trouble you to just size down that first photo please by about 50%...thanks ever so much!)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The great desire for an Irvin is pretty hard to quell. What a great find - thanks for giving the rest of us hope.

And welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot