Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a light weight felt OK for summer?

HDRnR

A-List Customer
For me when it gets over 75 degrees I wear straw. I don't like the heat to begin with and straw just has a nice cooling effect on my cranium.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
akaBruno said:
Cowboys and archeologists always wear felt in sweltering heat.
I don't know about archaeologists but cowboys have been known to wear straw hats.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I like my straws but got an Akruba (sp) Territory because of large brim and large vent grommets. I'll have to wait and see how well it works in hot weather. For a lot of yard work I wear a surplus pith helmet that has the suspension system to hold everything but the sweatband away from your head.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I have only one light felt, a pearl grey 50s Disney marked "Du Pont water repellent" with only a thin "doily" lining in the crown. Is anything similar made today (other than custom of course?) Who is taking the 70g bodies?

Lawman

One of the Regulars
What did they do back in the day? In the old photographs I have seen, and in old movies, folks seem to be wearing felt year round. For example, if you look through the crowd at old basebally games in the height of summer, they look all felt to me.

Mark

Havana

One of the Regulars
I wear an Akubra Cattleman year round. You better believe it gets warm and humid down in South Carolina in the summers. I even wear one as a work hat while working outside in 95 plus heat. I find that the small vent holes really do help quite a bit. The hat also helps keep the sweat out of your eyes.
I've even worn my Cattleman in the ungodly heat of North Africa. It was a real blessing there. I know cowboys here in SC who switch to straw in the Spring but they always end up complaining about them when the straw hats get bent or crushed. Personally, I reserve my staws for dress occassions in the warm months.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Any hat is FAR better then NO hat in the heat; I can wear my Akubra year round and have no fears of not being able to lie in bed at night due to a sunburned ear or neck!

Cheers
Craig

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been wearing Akubra hats in summer and winter for six years now with no problem. Truth be told I really cant tell a difference between the weight of the felt when its on my head.
Johnny

mingoslim

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
I don't know about archaeologists but cowboys have been known to wear straw hats.

I like felt in the summer for rainy days and evenings . . . But in the heat of the afternoon, I always prefer straw.

Cowboys, I can not speak to . . . but as an archaeologist, I wore a cheap, but stiff straw with a cottony sweat on digs in Jordan, (you know . . . one of those summer hats you buy at K-Mart) and it looked pretty good, kept the sun off my face, and was cool . . . I have one pick of me in said hat in the office, so I will see if I can get it scanned and posted . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ