Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a scarf wearable?

scomce

New in Town
At a local Goodwill, there was a bin full of beautful scarves. Could these be used as a neckerchief, pocket square or in some other fashion?

thx

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
What are you looking for Johnny, a scarf or ascot/cravat?
I bought two silk "paisley" cravats from Tiehouse the other week. One in yellow and one burgundy.(You can see them on the merged ascot thread)

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spitfire: I am looking for a scarf, Something to go with my linen sports jacket in summertime. Adds a nice little touch. I have been looking on e-aby but they don't seem to come up to often.
Johnny

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Yes, and..........

2-p6.jpg

...........NO!
00160m.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
To revive an older thread, can a white silk scarf (plain coloured, not shiny) be worn with anything other than black tie or white tie? I was thinking of a plain navy suit with a grey fedora and a dark greay overcoat, so not casual by any means but not up to the standards of formalwear.

Edward

Bartender
avedwards said:
To revive an older thread, can a white silk scarf (plain coloured, not shiny) be worn with anything other than black tie or white tie? I was thinking of a plain navy suit with a grey fedora and a dark greay overcoat, so not casual by any means but not up to the standards of formalwear.

I don't see why not. My current daily-wear scarf is a white silk model, double thickness, square edge, no fringing. Looks just fine for daily wear, and perfect for preventing chafing on the neck, as can happen with a heavy wool overcoat when worn without a scarf. £9.99, Silvermans in East London:

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Product...cription/SILK+SCARF/ItemId/13257/Default.aspx

Much heavier than my scarves for evening wear, really worth it. I bought two, actually.

willyk57

New in Town
New Silk Scarf

I just picked up a 36" x 36" silk Oscar Dela Renta scarf at a discount store for a fraction of the original price retail. It has a green and brown striped pattern, kinda cowboy banana like. I am planing to ware it with some of my darker suits and over coats as well as my with Carhart work jackets. I will be warring it a lot like the gentlemen in the black and white photo posted by Tomasso on 17.13.07.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
In Wyoming they're often called wild rags. You can find them here:

www.cattlekate.com/

Scarves, bandanas, or neckerchiefs in silk for both every day and dress-up wear are traditional cowboy apparel. Silk is a natural insulator, and a 36x36 wild rag has a multitude of uses. Mostly worn folded diagonally, the "bib" part in front with the narrow ends crossed in back and tied over the bib in front.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I wear scarves a lot, with all kinds of outifts. Mostly 'silk' evening scarves or 'silky' patterned ones I've picked up at charity shops (thrift stores) or car boot sales (swap meets) for a pound or so. I feel that they really set-off an outfit, even if it's wearing one tucked inside a denim shirt under a leather jacket, it just adds a little class! At one time, having picked up around a dozen white 'silk' scarves in a year or two, I gave most of them away to friends in Memphis when we went over to get married – it's funny seeing every other perce wearing a white silk scarf in the pics!

My favourite two:

* White 'nylon' fringed, with a tag that (in typically skinflint British fashion of the 1950s) says "Treat as silk"!

* White silk with black/white fringe and an embroidered 'L' in an oval surround with a lightning bolt – British, probably early 1960s... think you can see me wearing it as part of my Halloween outfit:

11863_319870035470_725635470_9439158_2700283_n.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara