Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is chivalry dead?

Virginia Creeper

One of the Regulars
Indeed. :nod:
I'm a firm believer in having one thing that does one thing - but does it well.
I use my phone for it's original purpose - as a way to communicate.
When I want to take pictures - I take out my camera. Not fooling with "Oh, I'm just holding my phone up high, I'm so not photographing you" - folks can see I'm snapping pictures (what else can a Canon do?!) :D

I do use my phone to take pictures. I don't see it as serving a substantially different function than my crummy little point and shoot used to when I carried that around. It's perfectly fine for quick snaps of the kids, or to record things I want to revisit and shoot properly later.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do use my phone to take pictures. I don't see it as serving a substantially different function than my crummy little point and shoot used to when I carried that around. It's perfectly fine for quick snaps of the kids, or to record things I want to revisit and shoot properly later.
And there's nothing wrong with that.
What IS wrong is when strangers take my picture without even thinking about asking my permission to do so. THAT is a BIG problem; and I feel (dare I say the word) - used. [huh]

newsman

One of the Regulars
What IS wrong is when strangers take my picture without even thinking about asking my permission to do so. THAT is a BIG problem; and I feel (dare I say the word) - used. [huh]

One has to be careful about that sort of thing. Most people find themselves running to or from something at some point in their life. They may take true offense in a photograph and take action on it.

I once saw this happen to an unsuspecting Japanese tourist who snapped a French Foreign Legionnaire's photograph without thinking. That Sgt. not only broke the man's camera into hundreds of parts but scared the tourist to mental health therapy.

They...are an interesting species.

One has to be careful about that sort of thing. Most people find themselves running to or from something at some point in their life. They may take true offense in a photograph and take action on it.

I once saw this happen to an unsuspecting Japanese tourist who snapped a French Foreign Legionnaire's photograph without thinking. That Sgt. not only broke the man's camera into hundreds of parts but scared the tourist to mental health therapy.

They...are an interesting species.

However, if you're devious enough, by mastering the simple art of instinctive shooting you could practically walk up to someone and take their picture without them even knowing. Another technique is to take a scenic shot with your subject in the picture and then blow it up on the computer. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
However, if you're devious enough, by mastering the simple art of instinctive shooting you could practically walk up to someone and take their picture without them even knowing. Another technique is to take a scenic shot with your subject in the picture and then blow it up on the computer. :p
Now that's not very chivalrous!

...I was once standing in line at a grocery store with two "youts" with sagging pants and plenty of attitude.

Once I explained to them the origins of wearing pants like that and the offering they were making was directly from prison society they inched their pants up.
Although the practice of men wearing their pants this way did begin in prisons, the widespread belief that this was done to signal "availability" is incorrect. The truth is that it was simply a matter of inmates being provided with prison garb that was too large for them combined with the fact that belts are not permitted in most U.S. prisons due to the number of lifeless inmates that have been found hanging from them over the years.

That said, if the false story convinces people to stop wearing their pants that way by all means continue to tell it. :D

Stray Cat

Oh, dear... :doh:
DON'T tell me you EVER did that. :nono:

Now that's not very chivalrous!
Indeed.
As a woman (a woman dressed in a special way, that is) I'm aware that my appearance may cause some attention. But, for the love of.. It's my privacy-, taking a picture of me is simply put: invasive. :rage:

Stray Cat

Although the practice of men wearing their pants this way did begin in prisons, the widespread belief that this was done to signal "availability" is incorrect. The truth is that it was simply a matter of inmates being provided with prison garb that was too large for them combined with the fact that belts are not permitted in most U.S. prisons due to the number of lifeless inmates that have been found hanging from them over the years.
Nothing justifies an outfit that resembles a kid whose diapers need changing. lol

newsman

One of the Regulars
Fred that may be the case...and I've not spent much time in prison. I only made the deliveries. I've had a number of full-time correctional officers who informed me of the reason of canonical hankie codes and ill-fitting prison garb. But, as you know, the truth is in there some place.

Either way. They make belts for a reason.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many

Do you think the great street photographers of the '40s and '50s always asked permission before snapping a shot? I doubt it.

HeyMoe

Practically Family

That said, if the false story convinces people to stop wearing their pants that way by all means continue to tell it. :D

412162_573917628000_1940686189_o.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I don't know, this style does seem to favor the police at times! [video=youtube;ta-V-1olX-o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-V-1olX-o[/video]

newsman

One of the Regulars
I couldn't agree more, and I can't understand why anyone, male or female, would want to dress that way. It's impractical, appears to be uncomfortable, and it makes the person look like a moron.

It does have one practical aspect. It makes it much easier for the local police to collect them when they run.

You simply can't run when your pants fall down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo