Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is it possible to catch Christianity

koopkooper

Practically Family
Had a funny experience on the weekend. Went to a friends wedding on the weekend,turned up at the church and there must have been sixty people in this massive church. When I got to the Reception there was one hundred and fifty five. I was amazed that some people would skip the wedding and and just turn up for the free booze and food???!!!! Are people afraid that if they go to church once that they might get hooked and not be able to throw that monkey off their back, is Christianity or any other religion for that matter contagious. Is this plain rudness.

Renee

Familiar Face
Sometimes couples have a wedding ceremony that only includes close friends and family, and then a larger wedding reception. It's possible that this is the case in the wedding you attended.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
koopkooper said:
Had a funny experience on the weekend. Went to a friends wedding on the weekend,turned up at the church and there must have been sixty people in this massive church. When I got to the Reception there was one hundred and fifty five. I was amazed that some people would skip the wedding and and just turn up for the free booze and food???!!!! Are people afraid that if they go to church once that they might get hooked and not be able to throw that monkey off their back, is Christianity or any other religion for that matter contagious. Is this plain rudness.

In some parts of the US, where wedding receptions are a huge deal, this is quite common. I think it's deplorable, and insulting to the people getting married.

And no, you can't "catch" Christianity (or any other religion, I suppose). You can hear its message, decide it makes sense, and believe it. But you can't catch it like a virus.

koopkooper

Practically Family
Well I asked the parents who paid for the wedding and they said everybody was invited and they were shocked some people just came for the grub and the booze.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I will often forgo the ceremony and attend only the reception, but generally only if there is a substantial time gap between the ceremony and the reception. Some of these events can turn into all day affairs. Of course if the wedding involves family or close freinds I'll bite the bullet.

And, the food and drink at weddings is not Free, since guests customarily bring a gift/check for the newlyweds. ;)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
One time I got stuck in traffic and took 3 hours to make a journey that should have taken 1. So I missed the ceremony entirely and had to go straight to the reception. But I bet that all those people didn't have such an excuse!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
We had our religious ceremony and reception at exactly the same (outdoor) place: 82 people were invited. Anyone who arrived for the reception alone would have stuck out like a sore thumb. Perhaps for this reason, all the folks who attended the reception had also attended the ceremony.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Receptions

It used to be that the wedding was the big deal, and a few close friends of the family would be invited to the reception. I suspect that this changed as the wedding racket/industry became so obscenely huge. It's all about ostentation now. I've been to some huge, expensive, and astoundingly vulgar weddings. My parents got married in their USMC uniforms, in Sept 1945. The wedding reception was at my grandparents' house and the cake was a nice normal looking spice cake that could have come from maybe 2 Betty Crocker boxes. From the pix, it looks like a lovely affair. (I wasn't there.)

Elaina

One Too Many
My husband and I got married at the restaurant I worked at because the owner let us have the back room and gave a steep discount for food.

All total...9 people (including the pastor and 2 kids and us) came. It was a small affair to say the least.

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Ugg, I remember at my own wedding (many moons ago!) where a couple who were new friends of ours missed the ceremony and arrived at the reception, and explained to us *In The Reception Line* that they had decided to go buy a car that morning, which is why they didn't make it to the ceremony. Nice and classy, eh? :eusa_doh:

But I have to point out that my marriage has far outlasted their car, lol!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
dhermann1 said:
I've been to some huge, expensive, and astoundingly vulgar weddings.
How so? I've been to weddings that were huge and expensive but I seem to have missed out on the vulgar ones. [huh]

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I once attended a church wedding in Kentucky. Some of the attendees snapped gum and wore flip flops. When we arrived at the B & B down the road for the reception after, it was in a foreboding Gothic house. Inside I could have sworn I heard giggling in the walls. :eek: The place just screamed haunted. I later found out that it was once a funeral parlor!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I think some people just want the food. Others will not step into a church that's not their denomination. I have a friend who said he skips the ceremony because it brings back bad memories of his ex-wife.lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
While I don't belong to any religion myself, I don't have any problem going to any friend's wedding -- I've been to Methodist, Congregationalist, Episcopal, Catholic, Jewish, Jehovah's Witness, and New Age weddings, and am planning to attend a Baptist wedding this summer. I don't have a problem with any of them, because *it's my friend's day,* not mine. When a friend is getting married and invites me to share in the occasion, I count it as a privilege to go, no matter where it's being held. And I haven't caught anything yet.

(However, I did have a bad encounter with some dodgy cole slaw at the New Age reception, but we won't get into that.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou