Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it safe to purchase Japanese leather jacket (radiation exposure?)

Dionysus

New in Town
Have my eye on few Japanese maker, but worried about the potential radiation exposure could still affects the cloth they made.
Anyone in Japan who can answer this question?
Thanks

Mich486

One Too Many
908bf206c6f43b7812a30eebb64d0f66.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Fukushima_radiation_dose_map_2011-04-29.png

This is a radiation map by US/Japan Joint research (measured from air)
As you can see the radiation level is the highest on the ground zero and plummets dramatically as it travels further from the center.

1920px-Fukushima7.png

This is a schematics that shows the radiation level of Fukushima incident compared with Chernobyl.

So here is my opinion.
AVOID anything near Fukushima. (Especially seafood and crops)
BUT This does not mean that you have to AVOID everything that comes from Japan.

I read the article (from a source that I cannot remember) the incidence of various cancers of Fukushima residents sky-rocketed. (I personally don't understand A. Why are there still people living in Fukushima after the incident, B.Why there are still doctors, who know much about the danger of radiation, working in hospitals in Fukushima) This is like living in Chernobyl after the meltdown, which is obviously a stupid thing to do.

Now, Japan is a big country. Not as big as USA or Russia, but still a big one that spans vertically. The radiation map clearly shows that the further away you travel from Fukushima the safer. Take a look at Tokyo, the radiation level is sub-international limit for nuclear workers.
If you are a pregnant lady visiting Japan for a Holiday, I would suggest AVOID major cities near Fukushima (including Tokyo) just to make sure.

But a perfectly healthy individual such as yourself certainly do not have to worry about buying leather jackets made in Japan. (As long as the jackets / hides have NOT been manufactured in Fukushima)

I visit Japan every year and I wouldn't mind staying in Tokyo for a week at all. But I always ask chefs where they sourced the fishes for my sushi. So I suggest you do the same. Check where the jacket has been made. Check where their tanneries at.

Last edited:

Dionysus

New in Town
Fukushima_radiation_dose_map_2011-04-29.png

This is a radiation map by US/Japan Joint research (measured from air)
As you can see the radiation level is the highest on the ground zero and plummets dramatically as it travels further from the center.

1920px-Fukushima7.png

This is a schematics that shows the radiation level of Fukushima incident compared with Chernobyl.

So here is my opinion.
AVOID anything near Fukushima. (Especially seafood and crops)
BUT This does not mean that you have to AVOID everything that comes from Japan.

I read the article (from a source that I cannot remember) the incidence of various cancers of Fukushima residents sky-rocketed. (I personally don't understand A. Why are there still people living in Fukushima after the incident, B.Why there are still doctors, who know much about the danger of radiation, working in hospitals in Fukushima) This is like living in Chernobyl after the meltdown, which is obviously a stupid thing to do.

Now, Japan is a big country. Not as big as USA or Russia, but still a big one that spans vertically. The radiation map clearly shows that the further away you travel from Fukushima the safer. Take a look at Tokyo, the radiation level is sub-international limit for nuclear workers.
If you are a pregnant lady visiting Japan for a Holiday, I would suggest AVOID major cities near Fukushima (including Tokyo) just to make sure.

But a perfectly healthy individual such as yourself certainly do not have to worry about buying leather jackets made in Japan. (As long as the jackets / hides have NOT been manufactured in Fukushima)

I visit Japan every year and I wouldn't mind staying in Tokyo for a week at all. But I always ask chefs where they sourced the fishes for my sushi. So I suggest you do the same. Check where the jacket has been made. Check where their tanneries at.
Thanks much for your input!

zebedee

One Too Many
No, avoid completely. Anyone and everyone who has ever purchased anything from Japan has died consumed by a kind of vintage aesthetic exposure. Those outside the immediate areas of contamination have been affected - albeit mercifully mildly in comparison - by an obsession with stitch tightness and count which registers (being audible as a series of ghostly clicks, sounding like 'shin-ki-ki-ki-shin-ki') with anyone talking to these individuals. It is necessary at all times to be cognisant of the risks of Japanese-origin purchases, although these decline correspondingly by area.

Last edited:

zebedee

One Too Many
Also, the radioactivity will make many Westerners too bloated for the Japanese cuts, causing - in those most unfortunate - the white turnip effect. There is no treatment at present, but those stricken are often happily unaware of the changes at cellular level and able to move around in public without causing others obvious fear or discomfort.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Have my eye on few Japanese maker, but worried about the potential radiation exposure could still affects the cloth they made.
Anyone in Japan who can answer this question?
Thanks
If you smoke, drink alcohol, snort anything illegal, inhale car fumes, eat chlorinated chicken or do anything other than live a hermit life on a lonely atol, I wouldn't worry too much. That said, if you see a mushroom sprouting out of your head, go see a doctor.

If you smoke, drink alcohol, snort anything illegal, inhale car fumes, eat chlorinated chicken or do anything other than live a hermit life on a lonely atol, I wouldn't worry too much. That said, if you see a mushroom sprouting out of your head, go see a doctor.
or buy a steak!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
or buy a steak!
Radiated of course, to leave that after glow.

Japan has been putting in practice ready for next year's olympic games in Tokyo:
japan_2020-radiation.jpg

And the French have got themselves into a spat after claiming the Fukushima nuclear leak had an unexpected advantage for the Japanese goal keeper. That's football, the soccer type.
japan.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto