Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it too early for a White Dinner Jacket?

GBR

One of the Regulars
White dinner jacket fine thereabouts but stick with normal shoes for evening wear - the others look costume.

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
I tried the white jacket, black trousers and black&white brogues at a wedding once and to be honest when i saw the photos I just looked like a penguin! So now i only wear the black&white brogues with all black tuxedo and that seems to work fine. If I'm wearing my white tuxedo jacket and black lined trousers I wear only black shoes now either oxfords or brogues with black dress socks.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Well, not to sidetrack this thread, but one of the innumerable things I have learned from the Lounge is that Spectators, or Co-respondants, as they're called in Britain, are sartotially equivalent to white shoes, and should only be worn with suits that you'd wear white shoes with, such as white bucks. So that would mean light linen or seersucker, for example. Startled the heck out of me when I first read it, but now it makes perfect sense to me.

Edward

Bartender
I rarely wear anything other than two tones throughout the Summer months, but anything more formal than a lounge suit requires plain black shoes (patent for evening).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It was very popular in the Thirties, though specifically the cummerbund. A matching tie (although no doubt it was done by some at the time) would be inappropriate for black tie, though.

White SB (Single breasted) Tuxedo (not DB - or you'll be thrown out of the mess, you blaggard) with cumberbund is fine. Dark maroon (think British Airborne maroon) is fine, and with a matching Fez looks very fetching (out in the tropical reaches of the Empire).
#
Govt. Health Warning..!! DO NOT match a coloured bow tie with the cumberbund - or you'll look like a cheap-rate electronic keyboard player at the Cabaret dance of an Irish wedding in Dungannon (I know..!! I was there!!).

A carnation or small rose bud (deep red) always looks great against the off white of the Dinner Jacket.

Footwear = 'black' patent leather, or well Kiwi'd and bulled Oxfords'.

Otherwise, ' George' won't let you into my Club - okay? :)

dnjan

One Too Many
Govt. Health Warning..!! DO NOT match a coloured bow tie with the cumberbund - or you'll look like a cheap-rate electronic keyboard player at the Cabaret dance of an Irish wedding in Dungannon (I know..!! I was there!!).
you have such a way with words!:eusa_clap

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Spectators, or Co-respondants, as they're called in Britain, are sartotially equivalent to white shoes, and should only be worn with suits that you'd wear white shoes with, such as white bucks. So that would mean light linen or seersucker, for example.
But...but....what would be so wrong about wearing these specs with grey flannel in winter?

aaac3.jpg
collezione-marks-and-spencer-shoes-suede-two-tone-brogue-shoes.jpg

And on a certain Boardwalk you might see......

capture-d-cran-20...22.42.39-254fc95.png

.....worn with a camelhair overcoat.......

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Well, not to sidetrack this thread, but one of the innumerable things I have learned from the Lounge is that Spectators, or Co-respondants, as they're called in Britain, are sartotially equivalent to white shoes, and should only be worn with suits that you'd wear white shoes with, such as white bucks. So that would mean light linen or seersucker, for example. Startled the heck out of me when I first read it, but now it makes perfect sense to me.

Also not meaning to go off topic, but I have to disagree. I think spectators can be worn with a lounge suit of any colour (even more conservative dark colours) in summer. They are only inappropriate for semi-formal or formal dress (black lounge/black tie or morning dress/white tie) where black patent leather shoes must be worn or very well shined oxfords for those who cannot afford patent leather shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider