Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is my Schott Horsehide too big?

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
What do you think? It's about six weeks old. No hope to return it now. I don't wear it while riding my motorcycle very often since I have a nice armored Vanson for that. This Schott 641HH is mainly for casual wear. I didn't realize it looked so loose until recently. Not sure if I should sell it and start over.

jac1.jpg

jac2.jpg

Looks too big through the chest...sleeves and body length would also be too short for me on or off my bike. I've ridden since the '60s ...and all I know is how I like them to fit me.
HD

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
I think it's a touch big, another 15 lbs on you and it would fit perfect. If you aren't going to wear the jacket on the bike it's fine IMO and will look better when it breaks in. But if you don't like the fit you never will. The sleeves on your jacket are too short too.

I like my MC jacket quite trim and have it break in around me (the T-Shirt is abnormally long, it's just a lounging around T), the jacket comes right to my hip. To me, this fit for an MC jacket is perfect, but again it varies person to person. The most important is being comfortable in the jacket on the bike, don't worry about what the fit police say.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
If you are happy wearing it only as a casual jacket, and not on a motorcycle, keep it. If not, sell it. Doesn't look bad from the front, but it has a lot of extra material in the back. Also too short for my tastes, and it would be way too short while reaching for the bars. I couldn't comfortably wear it while riding because of the sleeves and body length. Been riding since the 50s.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
I am going to sell my new Schott Horsehide

UPDATE:

The jacket sold like a hot cake in two days. It's gone baby gone. Thanks for your help in deciding that it was too big. I was sad to see it go, but the guy who walked out of the bar wearing it was VERY happy. He could barely contain himself. I could have squeezed another $50-75 bucks out of the sale, but that's okay. I was happy to see a satisfied buyer. I didn't take a bath on the sale, so that's okay.

My advice to those interested in this jacket:
1. If you are over 5"10 it probably won't fit you.
2. It is on the short side, but not as short as a Vanson cafe jacket or an Ace.
3. Vanson does not offer horsehide any more. Horsehide is rare in the States and really stands out these days. I got some flat-out stares while wearing my jacket. Never happened before. That jacket was MONEY. Even a bum yelled at me on the street, "Nice jacket, man!" Weird, but cool, I guess.
4. I think the jacket is well made and would protect a shorter man if he fell. If you buy it, have a leatherer put a zipper for pants. That would solve the short back on it for riding.
5. If the jacket had fit me, I never would have sold it. I was totally happy with the quality, thickness, and design other than the fact that it did not fit me. I find the Schott Horsehide to be perhaps the finest leather motorcycle jacket that Schott makes--provided you fit their profile: a slightly short man with a barrel chest and fairly wide shoulders, or a medium build man who wears a sweat shirt underneath while riding.

For my replacement "nostalgia" ride jacket, I have decided against Lost World because the leather seems too "painted" and generally thicker than I need. I want a leather jacket that will break in and patina ASAP (that is, respectable in perhaps three years or so of fairly heavy wear). From what I can gather, Lost Worlds makes great jackets that hold their pristine look longer and weather like a rock. I don't want that. I want a jacket that shows its knocks and weathers in, showing the knocks it takes. I also think that Lost Worlds look two dimensional compared with the Aeros that have a deep, three dimensional horsehide that is more what I am looking for: kinda like looking into a dark agate, instead of the side of a shiny black wall. I know none of the well made horsehide jackets break in very fast, but I am sold on the Aeros. I'm buying a Cafe jacket from Aero. I like their horsehide a lot, and the attention to detail is stunning. Now that I sold my Schott, I can afford the Aero. I will get a jacket that is between the standard thick horsehide and the thinner hide. It will not be my main riding jacket. It will be a cool weather jacket for fun riding in my neighborhood. I will wear it walking around more. My Vanson Lightning will be for serious rides. It's all weather with plenty of ventilation, but can be closed up to repel water, but not heavy rain. Fine by me. I don't feel comfortable two-wheelin' in downpours anyhow, and if I get caught in one, oh well. I'll hang'er up ta dry at home.

p.s. The man who bought my jacket had the same general body type and build as Dr. Velociraptor

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24