Is Naphtha called "WHITE SPIRITS" over here?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Mr. 'H', Jun 29, 2006.

1. jpbales

jpbales Practically Family

good warning!

thanks a bunch!

2. Story

Story I'll Lock Up

3. Corky

Corky Practically Family

4. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

Turpentine and dandelion wine I've turned the corner and I'm doing fine
    Shootin' at the birds on the telephone line pickin' 'em off with this gun of mine...

:D :D :D

5. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

Says Wikipedia:

"Naphtha (pronounced /ˈnæfθə/ or /ˈnæpθə/) normally refers to a number of different flammable liquid mixtures of hydrocarbons, i.e. a distillation product from petroleum or coal tar boiling in a certain range and containing certain hydrocarbons, a broad term encompassing any volatile, flammable liquid hydrocarbon mixture."

So it really seems that the term 'Naphta' is generic rather than specific. To confuse matters even further, there is Naphtha and Solvent Naptha - two completely different things.

Here in Germany, White Spirits is called Wasch- or Testbenzin, and that's what I use for cleaning hats, as it was even recommended to me by German hatters.

6. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

I learn something new here nearly every day!

Prior to reading this thread, the only context in which I've seen/used/heard of naphtha was during my army/air force training, as we use it as stove and lantern fuel.

It never entered my mind it could be used as a cleaner for anything other than perhaps oil stains on concrete.

7. I did a naptha bath on 2 silver belly Stetsons. The stains I was wanting to get out were not affected but the naptha got some dirt out. Not sure it was worth all the trouble it took. The felt seems to have a different tint to it now as well.

8. Windsock8e

Windsock8e A-List Customer

Thread revival - just wondering whether 8 years on, there is a view on how to clean hats in the UK, aka what is the naphtha UK equivalent please ?

9. Windsock8e

Windsock8e A-List Customer

And the answer is for the next person who revives this thread in 8 years .... Aspen4, which is additives free lawn mower fuel which you can also use for your camping set, or.... cleaning hats - it works. £18 for 5 litres in 2017 prices.

KarlCrow and nickwellings like this.