Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is "Retromania" destroying culture?

JimWagner

Practically Family
Perhaps it is my age showing. I was born in '72 and like others have said, I feel completely disengaged from current culture.

So that begs the question.....do we become less interested in such things as we age? Do we reach a point where trends, fads, and pop culture pass us by without us realizing it? Is it because we reach a maturity where these things seem less important?

I used to think I was fairly "up" on what was trendy, be it music, movies, etc. but now when I read gossip news I don't know who any of the celebrities are they're talking about. The disconnect started a couple of years ago when I moved to a different department on campus where I work; my former office, I was always surrounded by and interacted with college students in the 18-21 age range. I was more exposed to what was young and hip. Now I'm more isolated and rarely see any students at all. Then the disconnect became even more pronounced this year as we no longer watch TV. Without that constant exposure and bombardment of pop culture, I'm completely out of the loop. And what's more......I don't care. I find myself wanting to crawl further and further away from modernity and embrace yesteryear. Would that be progressing, or regressing? lol

It's called "growing up". If you were still intensely interested in the same things as a high school student then you'd have something to worry about.

Which is not to say that there aren't some interests that you carry throughout life. But even those go through a maturing process.

Well, that just sounds wonderful! I always thought "Bubbles in the Wine" and "Calcutta" would be ideal for such a situation :) My Grandpa's a big fan, too. That's where I got it from. I used to watch the Welk show with him on Saturday nights on PBS when I was little.

Doesn't look like it anymore! ;) I even had Lawrence Welk songs playing at my wedding reception. My grandpa loved it (he's a big fan) and was even singing along with my mom when they were dancing. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav