Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is "Retromania" destroying culture?

Pompidou

One Too Many
The world survived Neoclassicism, over a century of looking back centuries, and it'll survive a few years of looking back decades. I like retro hats, sunglasses and video games. Other people here like a whole lot more than that. I disagree just as much that retro is destroying our culture as a do that our culture is destroying itself. I won't start to worry about the state of our culture until groups of people aren't convinced it's going to hell. So long as half the world thinks the world sucks at any given moment, we're all good. That's just how it should be. That's just how it's always been.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Will nostalgia destroy pop culture?

Gee, I hope so.

Maybe if it does we will see more talented musicians making good music (like this).
[video=youtube;cvjGe_j6yR8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvjGe_j6yR8[/video]

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
It's a crying shame - Before that song, I didn't know she had such a beautiful voice. Nostalgia, summon thy wrecking ball!

Apparently she does guest appearances and sings jazz for various live events.
[video=youtube;aWkTjWw4a4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWkTjWw4a4A&feature=related[/video]
[video=youtube;M4D4WgwYQAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4D4WgwYQAM[/video]

She needs to come out with an album of this stuff.

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
The writer at Salon does have a point, but it's seriously exaggerated. This isn't the first era to go retro. As Pompidou pointed out, neoclassicism was REALLY retro. What we do have is the technology to easily enjoy the culture of the last 100 years. The music, art, performances, and news of the past century is accessible in a way previous generations never had.

Nostalgia has very little to do with why the culture of past decades is still around. It's around because it was good, and we like it. Complaining about the 40's-60's overwhelming artistic expression is like claiming that the music of 2007 is blighting the musical development of 2011.

I humbly submit that what the writer considers to be retro, is STILL pop culture.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Gaga also did a nice Coldplay cover in the R1 Live Lounge. Sorry, embedding is disabled, but you should be able to click on the link

[video=youtube_share;t2aE-mnNZJ4]http://youtu.be/t2aE-mnNZJ4[/video]

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
I think that the interest in "retro" or vintage culture just goes to show how bland and base popular culture has become. Things are just too casual, grunge, and sloppy. There is little expectation that anyone will strive to look, act, be at their best behavior. I think we are looking for something to sustain our souls.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I got as far as the part where he talked about the sixties as the "start of feminism" Illiterate poltroon.

He sounds like one of those whiny people who think that everything great came from their generation, previous and following generations are obviously less worthy. Since he is a Baby Boomer that thinks like this, he thinks that modern life *obviously* started in the 1960s. Before that it was *horrible,* and we should all get down on our knees and *personally thank him* and every Baby Boomer for having created feminism, civil rights, etc.

This is what happens when they stop teaching history in school.

And people like him will continue enshrining the myth of the '60s to future generations. That's why I call it "The Era That Won't Go Away." And without getting political it seems to me that a certain segment of the Baby Boomer generation themselves never really left 1968.

Last edited:

Mojito

One Too Many
Name an era that hasn't gone through a period of looking to the past for inspiration, whether it be reaching as far back as the classical era or the various waves of Egyptian revivalism since the beginning of the 19th century, or just looking back a decade or two. French Romantics of the 1830s sometimes wore vintage 18th century fabrics and costumes...when they weren't indulging in their own version of the middle ages, just as the Victorians looked back to a romanticised medieval period, some going so far as to remodel their homes and even donning medieval inspired gowns (with a very 19th century twist). The 1920s was an innovative period in fashion, arts and literature, but it looked back to many ages from Ancient Egypt onwards. Then there were periods of 1920s revival in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and recently. Art Deco was revived in the 60s and has been popular on and off ever since. Paul Poiret looked to the Directoire period for inspiration.

We have always drawn inspiration from our past, whether in subtle or obvious ways.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I think that the interest in "retro" or vintage culture just goes to show how bland and base popular culture has become. Things are just too casual, grunge, and sloppy. There is little expectation that anyone will strive to look, act, be at their best behavior. I think we are looking for something to sustain our souls.

If the changes were anything but cosmetic, I'd agree. Culture is still on the same trajectory it's always been. Same meal as ever - now with a garnish of parsley. No practical difference (who eats the parsley anyway?) but somehow, when there's a sprig of parsley on the plate, everything just seems better.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Name an era that hasn't gone through a period of looking to the past for inspiration, whether it be reaching as far back as the classical era or the various waves of Egyptian revivalism since the beginning of the 19th century, or just looking back a decade or two.

One very recent example of this was the "nostalgia wave" of the 1970s that gave us Grease and Happy Days. Compared to that, one thing can be said for the current trend: at least we aren't romantically idealizing it!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
If the changes were anything but cosmetic, I'd agree. Culture is still on the same trajectory it's always been. Same meal as ever - now with a garnish of parsley. No practical difference (who eats the parsley anyway?) but somehow, when there's a sprig of parsley on the plate, everything just seems better.
That is a very good honest way to state it. We could actually say that even looking back into history, the cycle is always the same. I think to state anything is going to be "destroyed" is a false viewpoint in relation to "retro". In fact, over time, things such as "art deco" have remained to be in high demand, and will always be that way. Think "Tiffany"...? Maybe the person who wrote that article, forgot to take their meds for the day?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner