Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the powder room dying on it's feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do see some of what you're talking about, Paul. Lately I have noticed that the Powder Room & Beauty sections (frankly, where I spend 90% of my time on the Lounge) haven't been very active at all.... :D

Hi

The same thing has been happening in the hat section. When I joined in 2010, most of the posts were in the Akubra section, now there are few hat posts in anything but new hats and which hat am I wearing today. No clue why, it's in part the economy I guess, but collecting vintage hats is still a relatively cheap hobby.

later

Well on a uk forum I found a post asking for info about working with a cross dresser, it was a old thread, and no one had answered , so I did as the token CD ( maybe) and they ranted that I had dug up a old thread and should not have done, I was thinking about paying to be a member the day before.
. I left after than event.

Digging up old or ones no one had answered is one of the strengths of the F/L without any thing been said.

I currently post at a UK forum and in the past I've been in UK chat rooms and I've found that Brits are not afraid to speak their mind. Even though I haven't had any problems, it often does feel like you're walking on eggshells in there, especially as I'm very often the lone Yank.

But then again, I fortunately know enough Britspeak to blend in. ;) :)

Louise Anne

Suspended
I currently post at a UK forum and in the past I've been in UK chat rooms and I've found that Brits are not afraid to speak their mind. Even though I haven't had any problems, it often does feel like you're walking on eggshells in there, especially as I'm very often the lone Yank.

But then again, I fortunately know enough Britspeak to blend in. ;) :)

Yes that sounds like a good description of Britsh forums, they sort of feel they can say anything which often they would not say to any one in public, like using a new found fredom of speech and it does not matter if they offend any one becuse it's the internet and it's not real.

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
I notice that too, and it bugs me. It's all part of the modern-era emphasis on the Holy Individual, really -- gimme gimme gimme what I want, and never mind contributing to the well-being of the group. That kind of member, to be blunt, we can do without.

I don't know how to feel about this as I may well be that kind of member. I came to the lounge looking for resources which would help me with the period of dress I aspire to. I found that resource, used it as I needed, and so only pop back every now and again to look through certain threads; such as "what are you wearing today?". If this means I'm "that kind of member" you could do without then I may as well delete my account now.
I know I shouldn't be so easily offended and this thread wasn't started in order to cause offence but I can't help but think shouldn't people be allowed to use the Lounge as they wish whether that be fleeting resource or long term community?

Louise Anne

Suspended
I believe on a forum that the number of post you have made should not give you any more rights than say some one with 10
one forum I an one seams to have stopped recording post numbers.
If some on makes 10 post and you never here of them again then that's fair enough people do come and go,

If some one made 10,000 post and suddenly go them maybe it's worth asking why they left especially when you know they are still active with vintage else where.
are they bored with the forum?

BTW I think I made 1,000 approx in 6 years that's not a reccord and my be under average, I only go into topic which interest me at the time.

Tatum

Practically Family
A lot of new people come and want their questions answered, then when its merged to an older more established thread, they get angry.
Don't get mad or feel embarrassed that a thread was merged. My take on it is if you are interested in a topic, just asking a question about it isn't enough. These threads are great *research* material. Dig through them read a lot and get tons of lovely bits.

My evolution on this board is now at a 'look and read' type deal. If there is something I want to say, Ill say it.

I've always wondered why people get angry about that, threads get merged so that all the info on one topic is in the same place, which makes it easier to get to and access.

I've done much more lurking myself, for the reasons that FWG stated (summer) and also that I don't need so much guidance anymore. If I see a question asked that I feel I can answer or a topic that I wish to add my opinion, I do....but otherwise I've been more of a reader lately. I'm okay with that.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I talk about members who come here just to get what they want and then leave, I mean exactly that -- the sort of people who show up, announce they're working on some kind of project or other, ask a bunch of demanding questions, get upset if they don't get immediate answers, and then once they get what they came for don't bother to stick around to contribute anything of their own. We aren't machines here, you don't just stick a nickel in the slot, pull a lever, get what you want and walk away. We're people -- and when we sacrifice our own time and effort and energy to make the Lounge work, it's not a very good feeling to have people come along who only want to take what we have to offer -- that's the sort of thing a lot of us here rail against, because it's contrary to the "we're all in this together" spirt of the Era. It might be fine for the people who just want free information, but it doesn't do anything to help the Lounge continue.

Ask not what the Lounge can do for you, but what you can do for the Lounge -- if you want it to be a healthy, worthwhile place to visit. And if you aren't willing to do that, don't think you're entitled to complain when the Lounge isn't what you think it ought to be.

Last edited:

Rosie_Beau

One of the Regulars
I think it would be far more productive to stop bickering about what's wrong with the lounge and look to the positives of what's right with the lounge and how to make it a more welcoming environment to those who read these pages a lot but, for whatever reason, don't post.
I think the overall tone of the Forum is important and to change, or continue with the same, that tone can only be achieved if all individuals do this themselves which will in turn change, or continue, the tone of the society.

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
Well said LizzeMaine. Although I may not post as much as I'd like to, I always feel welcome and have been grateful for the kindness and advice given by fellow loungers. I dont have many friends that appreciate the vintage eras and lifestyle, so to be a part of this community means a great deal to me. I feel like I am with friends that appreciate and respect the vintage eras as I do. I realize I need to participate more to threads and not feel shy or put off by my lack of computer skills. What LizzeMaine said is so true! "Ask not what the lounge can do for you,but what you can do for the lounge."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Everyone here has something they can contribute. Sharing knowledge is important -- but just as important is the sharing of personal experience, sharing of ideas, sharing of observations about how the knowledge you get here worked out for you. Computer skills aren't important -- if you can *type* you can be a productive, participating member here. You don't need to have a vast wardrobe or collection of whatever to show off -- it's just as important to *discuss* pictures as it is to post them. And there's no need to be shy, either -- every single member here was new once.

Louise Anne

Suspended
I started this so maybe I am also the one to say that Lizzie post seams to sum it up and I do not think that there is too much mileage left in it now.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
I read a lot more that I post. Over the past few years I have noticed that the summer months are a little quiet at the lounge. We are probably out enjoying the weather, family and friends and doing a lot less sitting on our bums indoors. I'm not on facebook so this is the only vintage related forum I enjoy and it has been quite useful and entertaining.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One more thing I'll add here is that people are much more inclined to be helpful if we have some idea who it is that we're helping. A little bit of sincerity goes a very long way around here. You don't have to be Her Grace the Lady Victoria McVintage Riding On A Pony to be a respected member here -- you just have to be sincere in your interest and willing to share a bit of yourself. Meet us halfway, and we'll be more than happy to meet you.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I've been feeling like this a lot more lately. I'm noticing DAYS have been going by with no updates in both the Ladies' rooms :( So I'll do my best.....

Lenore

Practically Family
I feel horrid because I've because I've been gone as much as I have. It seems that life has a way of keeping you from the things that you enjoy. I shall endeavor to be more active on the forum. *puts foot down*

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Life gets a hold of people. Its no ones fault or obligation to feel you must post. Post when you want, read what you like. Or just stop in and say hi :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider