Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the powder room dying on it's feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flicka

One Too Many
I forget sometimes that some people use the "View New Posts" feature as a way of scanning everything that comes up -- I don't use that myself, because probably 75 percent of those posts are things that I know won't interest me, discussion of men's hats or whatever. Nobody has time to read every single post on the forum, and nobody should feel obligated to have an opinion on every topic that comes up.

As far as the slant in the OB goes, it's purely a function of who posts there. Some people lean one way, some people lean another. If your own side isn't represented, represent it. The moderation in that room isn't in any way ideologically controlled, and if you've got something to say, you're the only one who can say it. It's likely that some people won't agree with you -- but then, someone won't agree with you if you express that same opinion on the street, either. Such is life. The alternative is just to post in threads on topics you appreciate and leave the rest to the people who want to talk about them. If you let yourself be run off a forum because it's "too conservative" or "too liberal" or too many people there wear their hair funny or insist that brown shoes should never be worn in the city, aren't you just giving them what they want?

I agree, but then I'm one of those people who can't keep her mouth shut for fear or money. If someone disagrees with me, I tend to think that they should be uncomfortable, not me, because I'm obviously right, and they should be grateful I'm there to inform them. :D

Not everyone is like that, though, and if there are environments where you don't have to sort of swim against the current quite as much, you may prefer to hang out there instead.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Many people have been posting on the FL since its inception about their disdain towards wearing denim. I love my blue jeans and don't let that bother me.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Many people have been posting on the FL since its inception about their disdain towards wearing denim. I love my blue jeans and don't let that bother me.

Same -- even horrid skinny jeans (which I have on right NOW!) Just as we don't let that stuff bother us, some people do. Another case of "to each his own." I wish it weren't, but it is :(

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I haven't been about as much recently as I have been going through a very difficult time personally. It's still on-going, so I can't say how often I will check in in the next few months - maybe a lot, maybe not at all.

I don't let other people's opinions on here bother me too much. I just read it and bypass if I don't like it and can't say anything constructive to the conversation. [huh]

P.S: Amy Jeanne, I recently bought some skinny jeans, and I like 'em.

Louise Anne

Suspended
If a personal says "oh look at her don't they look dreadful" ...... or whatever the changes are it's becuse they cannot wear them and look dreadful in the it the .:evil: ( the green devil) coming out in them.
Miss Sis hope every thngs get sorted out, as you a great person.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of the things that makes the PR easier to moderate than some other areas of the Lounge is that nobody here ever says "Jeez, you know, that outfit makes you look like hell on toast. What were you thinking?" There are forums online where that kind of aggressive criticism is common, but the PR gals seem to be much too good natured for that sort of thing -- and those who do have an aggressive or catty streak about such things soon find themselves on the outside looking in. Even if an outfit has issues, our members tend to be very positive about the way in which they point them out. "Maybe you should try thus and so," rather than "You actually went out in public like that?"

As for skinny jeans, I just think of them as support hose for kids.

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I agree, but then I'm one of those people who can't keep her mouth shut for fear or money. If someone disagrees with me, I tend to think that they should be uncomfortable, not me, because I'm obviously right, and they should be grateful I'm there to inform them. :D

Are you my long-lost sister? ;)

A couple years ago I asked one of my friends to describe me, and she said "You're an opinionated *****. But you're a lovable and consistent opinionated *****." Which is pretty much right.

-----

Seriously though, I'm not a total vintage gal. Even when I go out dressed to the nines in what I consider my vintage (hat, gloves, etc.) I still am far away from being considered fully vintage by a few of the people here who are total vintage enthusiasts. I love my clothes (no matter the era), I like my modern washing machine, and I eat off of depressionware. It is what best fits my life. I don't get a sense of there being "vintage enough" judgement crowd on the PR, but sometimes there is an undertone of there being one set of values in vintage times (mainly in the observation bar). Politics and social viewpoints aside, people weren't all cookie cutter molds back then anymore than we are. I also don't see everything in the past as being rosy, just like today's world isn't rosy.

I haven't been as busy on the powder room as I would like, mainly because I'm writing a draft of my dissertation and I've got Life Stuff going on (Life Stuff with official capital letters). Somehow it seems like participating (like showing off pictures of what I've made, etc.) seems to take a lot of more work than shooting off my mouth in the observation bar. Really, it shouldn't be that way, but somehow it seems that way. We need more discussions in the PR so I can ruffle more feathers. ;)

Ok, maybe now I'll post a picture of one of the dresses I made.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think it's unfortunate that many seem to associate "participation" with "pictures," a perspective that tends to leave out those who don't have a whole lot of stuff to show off, or those who just don't feel inclined to take a lot of pictures. *Discussion* of pictures, to me, is just as important as showing the pictures themselves -- and so is discussion without pictures.

Some of the best discussions we've ever had in the PR -- I'm thinking of things like the Birth Control thread -- had few or no illustrations at all. That was also an example of an excellent discussion of a controversial topic where people expressed different points of view without giving the backs of their hands to people who disagreed. More threads like that would really fulfill the PR's potential as a place where the various aspects of women's lives in the Era weren't just appreciated but also analyzed.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think it's unfortunate that many seem to associate "participation" with "pictures," a perspective that tends to leave out those who don't have a whole lot of stuff to show off, or those who just don't feel inclined to take a lot of pictures. *Discussion* of pictures, to me, is just as important as showing the pictures themselves -- and so is discussion without pictures.

Exactly. I sometimes look at the pictures in the threads and think about saying something (complimentary), but I feel like if I don't have pictures of my own to share, then I'm not really "participating" and I back off. Like I've drooled over the new thread of "show us your decor" but I don't have any pictures to share because my house is dusty and mess and it's staying that way until the end of the month. So I will always go back and check that thread, but it's essentially like I am a lurker there.

My gosh, am I actually shy??? ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Exactly. I sometimes look at the pictures in the threads and think about saying something (complimentary), but I feel like if I don't have pictures of my own to share, then I'm not really "participating" and I back off. Like I've drooled over the new thread of "show us your decor" but I don't have any pictures to share because my house is dusty and mess and it's staying that way until the end of the month. So I will always go back and check that thread, but it's essentially like I am a lurker there.

My gosh, am I actually shy??? ;)

Dusty? Messy? So what. You live in a house, not a hospital (always my rationalization for not bothering to make the bed.)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dusty? Messy? So what. You live in a house, not a hospital (always my rationalization for not bothering to make the bed.)

More like random construction debris. :) Seriously. And construction dust. We're re-doing our kitchen, partially moving, and it's not worth cleaning until the dust settles. End of this month I'll clean. Since you can see the dust from across the room, I'll pass on taking pictures. :D

Flicka

One Too Many

Some of the best discussions we've ever had in the PR -- I'm thinking of things like the Birth Control thread -- had few or no illustrations at all. That was also an example of an excellent discussion of a controversial topic where people expressed different points of view without giving the backs of their hands to people who disagreed. More threads like that would really fulfill the PR's potential as a place where the various aspects of women's lives in the Era weren't just appreciated but also analyzed.

Yes, that's what I like--analytical threads about important topics. Not just hosiery and hairstyles (which are of course of immense importance ;) ) but other things too. But then, I'm drawn to "vintage" fashion more as a result of my opinions about things like food, furniture, lifestyle, books, attitudes etc. rather than being curious about those things because of my interest in "vintage" fashion. So I worry a lot about the modern consumerism (not to mention the car-centrism of modern society) than if someone has skinny jeans (which I love, btw) or a mohawk (which I also love, btw). It's the inside, rather than the outside that defines my interest.

Said the amateur historian and went back to reading an article about the Alsace-Lorrainian and Danish minorities in Imperial Germany. And yes, that's what I do for fun! :D

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
The cleanliness in the photos of my home decor stayed that way for approximately 3.6 hours -- or until my husband came home...lol

I love both picture and discussion threads. I can't pick which one I prefer because they balance each other out and each fulfull a need!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner