Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a hat Similar to a Stetson Downs with a taller Band? Please Help

David Reyes

New in Town
Hey Fellas,
New here and not sure if this question has an answer already on here but I love the look of "Classic" or "Old School" hats, Fedoras mostly. I have a couple myself including a Stetson Mercury in graphite. Recently I wished to purchase another Fedora as I get many compliments (at least one every time I wear it) when wearing my Stetson Mercury. I have my eyes on a Stetson Downs in Caribou for a few reasons. A) it has a wider Brim then the Mercury's 2" and B) it has a C shaped crown. My only issue is the 1 3/8" grosgrain ribbon hatband seems a little on the short side for me. Is there a similar C shaped Crown hat in Caribou (that handsome light grey color) With a brim larger then 2" that has a taller hatband? I would like to maintain the quality and am even willing to go up in quality if need me. I do not want to go down in quality however. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

David Reyes

New in Town
Thanks jlee562,
I also have a Pinnacle with the center dent (In Black though) and that is what I don't like about it. Would it be easier to have the center dent changed into a C-Shaped crown somewhere as the hatband height is about my preferred size in height or search for another hat? Thanks for the advice

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
I just measured the band on a Downs and it comes to about an inch. The Whippet has a band of about 1 1/2 inch so that may work for you.
Jeff

David Reyes

New in Town
Thank you everyone!

I took a look at the Akubra hats Fed and although nice, look to also be center dents but thank you.

RJR I might try the steam thing thanks for the suggestion.

Jedwbpm I've been eyeing the whippet for a while actually. The edge of the brim gives me pause but I may just like it as well too.

Again guys thanks for the advice and suggestions, much appreciated.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Thank you everyone!

I took a look at the Akubra hats Fed and although nice, look to also be center dents but thank you.

RJR I might try the steam thing thanks for the suggestion.

Jedwbpm I've been eyeing the whippet for a while actually. The edge of the brim gives me pause but I may just like it as well too.

Again guys thanks for the advice and suggestions, much appreciated.
The Akubra Fed comes with an open, unshaped crown, and you shape it yourself with a little steam or distilled water spray. It's not difficult to do -- I've done both of mine. So you could have a C-crown bash with the wider brim and wider ribbon you want. Search around here: at least one of our members has posted an instructional video.

MJL

One of the Regulars
I picked up a Stetson Downs this summer at the St Joseph Stetson Outlet sale. I think the Downs is a surprisingly well made hat and reminds me very much of the Temple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo