Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a standard brim size for 1911-style Campaign hats?

Levallois

Practically Family
I've seen them anywhere from 2 1/2 inch to 4 inch. What's the "standard?" Thanks!

John

NonEntity

Suspended
Funny you should ask...

because I just got back from a local hat shop where I saw one and gave it a try-on.

It was a very nice authentic Army-issue like you you see the drill sargents wear, and it, gasp, fit. But on my 7 1/8 inch head atop a tall, skinny frame, it looked ridiculous. Why? The brim. I didn't measure it, but I have a good eye and would say it was every bit of 4 inches. The brim on this particular hat appears even wider than it actually is because it's stiff and sticks straight out all around.

I'm sure the Mounties, state police departments, and Smokie The Bear himself all have certain standards, but this U.S. military-issue's brim was about 4 inches, so I suppose that's as good a standard as any.

As with all hats, I say disregard dimensions and get what looks good on you.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
DeanGlen is the expert -BUT

I measured my Stratton and my Stetson and they both measure 3" all around. I've seen some that appear to have been but down further. Dont remember any 4" brims, but that's where Dean Glen comes in, maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points