Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a Thespian in you?

Caledonia

Practically Family
I don't think this one's been done yet. If it has, oops!

I was reading a powder room thread about fear of the feminine, then the not sissy actors thread, and I thought about style, and personality, and then Cate Blanchett popped into my head playing Katherine Hepburn. So, crowbarring it in, here's the topic.

If you think about your style, and maybe your personality too, and then the fun of it, who from way back would you agree to play in a cinema or theatre role, actor, singer, politician, campaigner, ordinary guy or gal, whomsoever takes your fancy. You may not look like them, sound like them, and would need 4 hours in make up to the get the effect right, but you'd like to have a shot. Miraculous new acting and impersonation skills will be gifted needless to say.

Eg: I could do Katherine Hepburn, Lauren Bacall, and I think I'd do a fair Abraham Lincoln and possibly push to a Cary Grant, but I'd be laughable as Marilyn Munro or any of the Marx Brothers. :D

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I think I can pull off Rita Hayworth and Audrey Hepburn pretty easily. Marilyn Monroe would be fun, it would stretch it too far for me to do something like an 'I love Lucy' character

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I was in the theatre when I was much younger, did two seasons of summer stock. Was compared, in looks (in those days) to Jane Fonda and Doris Day, would like to have had some of the roles Fonda had, and/or Calamity Jane, the musical, which DD was in.

My stage acting style when I was older was compared to Colleen DeWhurst.

When I've had at least two beers, I like to do impressions of actresses portraying roles they couldn't possibly do in real life: i.e., Mae West doing Lady MacBeth, or Doris Day doing Medea. I have also done a fair Kate Hepburn imitation as Mrs. Venable while attempting to do a Tennessee Williams female character doing a weather report on TV.

karol

decodoll

Practically Family
Audrey Hepburn. The author of AudreyStyle (she was one of the judges) told me I would have won a look-a-like contest, had a stood up to enter (chickened out at the last moment :eek: ) My hair was dyed dark then. I'd also love to be made up like Ginger Rogers and Paulette Goddard. :) I say made up because the thought of acting terrifies me!

jasmynskyes

Familiar Face
This is a fun topic, um...I'd love to try Claudette Colbert, Jane Russell or Ginger Rogers (for the dancing). I would also be willing to give Bette Davis a shot.

Caledonia

Practically Family
jasmynskyes said:
This is a fun topic, um...I'd love to try Claudette Colbert, Jane Russell or Ginger Rogers (for the dancing). I would also be willing to give Bette Davis a shot.

Didn't think about Jane Russell. Stick her on my list too! :) And Cole Porter would be fun. Can I try Errol Flynn for his swashbuckling-ness too - I'm sure I'd look good with a moustache. I'm definitely out of the Audrey line, but Colleency - Mae West, now that I would love to try. :D

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
K.D. Lightner said:
When I've had at least two beers, I like to do impressions of actresses portraying roles they couldn't possibly do in real life: i.e., Mae West doing Lady MacBeth, or Doris Day doing Medea. I have also done a fair Kate Hepburn imitation as Mrs. Venable while attempting to do a Tennessee Williams female character doing a weather report on TV.

That reminds me of the night I sat down with a jazz banjo player and a folk violinist, and we vamped Noel Coward singing a punk version of 'Mad Dogs and Englishmen'.

Yes we had been drinking, now you come to mention it...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I used to act in community theatre back in my younger days, and have also done some radio acting -- and I can absolutely nail Katharine Hepburn's voice. I always wanted to act in a production of "Stage Door," just so I could play her role....

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Who you callin' a thespian???...

Out of work again the actor entertains his wife
With the same old stories of his ordinary life
Maybe he exaggerates the trouble and the strife
Well, I don't know
-McCartney; London Town

I once saw a Lennon impersonator and thought, "I could do that!". Except that I don't play guitar or sing!!... I've sure got that Scouse bit down though!

I'd love to portray HRH sometime or do some gangster role. The reality is I always get told I could impersonate David Brenner or Dana Carvey, but I sound like Dick Cavett! What kind of role would that be????

I promise; I ain't quittin' my day job! -dixon cannon

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
LizzieMaine said:
and I can absolutely nail Katharine Hepburn's voice.

Me too! :)

Remember the PSA she did? "Direct Deposit. Wherever you do your banking..."

I think I could play Gary Cooper. In another few weeks, I'd take a shot at Clark Gable. I already do him for friends.*

*I mean impersonate him, Hemingway Jones.

Novella

Practically Family
It would take an *awful* lot of makeup and camera angles :p , but I think I could do Rosalind Russell. My goofy side could take on Joan Blondell. My more serious side would perhaps go for Bette Davis despite the fact I'm not a huge fan of her (what fun to give Errol Flynn a slap, even though I adore him in movies). I don't know how well I could tackle Veronica Lake or Ginger Rogers, but I'd like to try.

Rosie

One Too Many
I'd LOVE to play... Ms. Ella of course. :D I already run around the house singing her songs and trying to get the same inflections in my voice. For juke joint type fun, Big Mama Thornton, I think it would be fun to get kind of "gruff" like she is, very different from my persona. And for a real blast, I'd love to play Faye Dunaway playing Joan Crawford. "Cris-teen-aaaaaa, bring me the axxxxe!!"lol Actually, I'd do a one woman Mommie Dearest, that would be fun.

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
As your agent and creative consultant, I get 15 percent,...no wait! Make that 20! ;)

Might as well go for the full Col. Tom Parker - 50%!

I've always had a bit of Jack Benny in me. I have been 39 for four years and am now younger than my brother and sister.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner