Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a Thespian in you?

Caledonia

Practically Family
So many of you are actually actors! I didn't know that. :) Ok, so I'm adding the one, the only..........

Bond, Jamesssh Bond. And issh there a Misssh Moneypenny out there?

I want his toys!
lol

Haversack

One Too Many
Well, no matter how much I would aspire to do David Niven or Ronald Coleman, I could probably pull off a C. Aubrey Smith or Nigel Bruce. In a cynical cast of mind, perhaps Sydney Greenstreet. But I would have to gain about 130 pounds.

Haversack.
"Long Live Ruritania!"

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Caledonia said:
Ocht, a bit of bouffant hair and a knee tight skirt, you'd have it down! :D

Given what's (not) under the hat, I seriously doubt we'll be able to manage a bouffant:

29304334_ad62e2e2d0.jpg

But I don't look half bad in a kilt, so shall we compromise on that?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
As a professional broadcast for many years, my thespian attitude comes out on the air.

My favorite kinds of programs are those I've done live, with no safety net. I've done talk shows, DJ stuff, news, and hosted many national satellite teleconferences. Through it all, for me, the most fun is knowing that I'm making things run by my own wits and good planning.

And judging by Doc's photo above, he may be a kindred spirit. Hey, Doc - just behind me in my office, I have a fully functional, very clean, RCA 77DX mike. It makes me sound like a million bucks. The top one in this photo is an exact duplicate of mine, including the stand.

PS: if you scan way down that page, you'll find vintage photos of such notables as Hoagy Carmichael, Der Bingle, Lanky Frankie, FDR and others using RCA 77-series mikes. There's also a nice shot of a notable graduate of my alma mater (Washington State U.), Edward R. Murrow - a decent broadcaster in his own right.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Pilgrim said:
And judging by Doc's photo above, he may be akindred spirit. Hey, Doc - just behind me in my office, I have a fully functional, very clean, RCA 77DX mike. It makes me sound like a million bucks. The top one in this photo is an exact duplicate of mine, including the stand.

Oh you lucky hound! The tone on those mics is amazing - modern gear just doesn't have the warmth.

Pilgrim said:
PS: if you scan way down that page, you'll find vintage photos of such notables as Hoagy Carmichael, Der Bingle, Lanky Frankie, FDR and others using RCA 77-series mikes. There's also a nice shot of a notable graduate of my alma mater (Washington State U.), Edward R. Murrow - a decent broadcaster in his own right.

And just sitting there quietly is my quote for the day. One that I think should be nailed to the door of every studio in the world, both TV and Radio:

“Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach only from one end of the bar to the other.” —Ed Murrow

I think I'm going to print that out and stick it somewhere above my desk. Those things can occasionally make it far too easy to start taking ourselves far too seriously.

Steve

Practically Family
I've always thought it would be fun to impersonate Red Skelton. And with a black Zorro mask I might be able to pull off Tyrone Power.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
What a fun read. Hey, when someone starts the brick-and-mortar Fedora Lounge club franchise, be sure the stages in each one are big enough for not just a band but a whole show :) Myself, never tried it, but think it'd be Great to do W.C. Fields! lol (Like I could EVER stuff enough pillows under my shirt...)

Rosie said:
I'd LOVE to play... Ms. Ella of course. :D I already run around the house singing her songs and trying to get the same inflections in my voice. For juke joint type fun, Big Mama Thornton, I think it would be fun to get kind of "gruff" like she is, very different from my persona.

That is officially Too Cool, Rosie... you would not even WANT to know what a good vocal impression I can do of some of the same-era rhythm & blues singers like Charles Brown, Peppermint Harris & Amos Milburn. And who doesn't love singing along with the Louis & Ella duets album:
We may never, never, never, never meet again, on that bumpy road to love...
"MMMM, SWING IT, ELLA...."

See the resemblance? okay, so maybe it would be a radio show

938.jpg
just_me.jpg

Maybe I should do like Duke Ellington's lead singer of the early 40s did and stick with my Bing Crosby impersonation, sans the infamous bad attitude. "Flamingo, when the sun meets the sea...." Yeeah, that's it :D

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not only, but also...

At the rate I'm going, my mates tell me I could play 'Fatty Herman' (Herman Goering). Sway back and pot belly - but what a smashing uniform! I'll find a pic so you can just imagine! (reluctantly) dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Off topic request.....

:eek:fftopic: ...so I can make it an On Topic post!! :eek:fftopic:

Does anybody have a .jpg of that fairly famous, unflattering photo of Reichmarshall Herman Goering (side view, full length) giving the Hitlergruss? I've searched Google Image Search from fore to aft and haven't seen it. It will illustrate my thespian aspirations perfectly. -dixon cannon

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda