Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there any way to look suave and debonair while chasing a hat down the street?

Pduck

One of the Regulars
I walked out of a building today and a gust of wind took my hat off. I spun around to find it, but it was nowhere to be seen. The wind had picked it up like a kite and blown it about 20' in the air. It was really sailing! I was afraid it was going to land on a roof somewhere. At least it was going over the tops of the cars in the street. When I finally caught up to it, another gust would blow it away from me, keeping it just out of my reach. Mother Nature was indeed taunting me. Of course, I felt like a fool. I kept asking myself, "What would Cary Grant do"?

Oh well. :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Nope.
'The blown-off hat syndrome.'
shr0882l.jpg

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
They had the same problem....but they also had access to the solution!

Pduck said:
I walked out of a building today and a gust of wind took my hat off.....I kept asking myself, "What would Cary Grant do"?

A few days ago I jumped into a thread regarding what I've always called "hat cords" but which seem to be referred to around here as "wind trolleys." Many hats in the past--and a few today--have a length of cord with a small button attached to the free end. When you unwind it from the crown of the hat, you can put the button through your lapel buttonhole and, should the winds pick up, be spared that agonizing run down the street.

Unfortunately, so far, they don't seem to be available now as an after-purchase add-on. They were then....:(

Here's the thread, for what it's worth...which I fear is, practically speaking...not a lot:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=13257

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Lol sir, may I say at least all you have to deal with is looking foolish. Last time I lost my hat due to wind I was wearing a skirt as well. :eek: :rolleyes: lol

Pduck

One of the Regulars
Caity Lynn said:
Lol sir, may I say at least all you have to deal with is looking foolish. Last time I lost my hat due to wind I was wearing a skirt as well. :eek: :rolleyes: lol

I'd look a lot more foolish than you if I were chasing a hat while wearing a skirt!!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Verna: What're you chewin' over?
Tom Reagan: Dream I had once. I was walkin' in the woods, I don't know why. Wind came up and blew me hat off.
Verna: And you chased it, right? You ran and ran, finally caught up to it and you picked it up. But it wasn't a hat anymore and it changed into something else, something wonderful.
Tom Reagan: Nah, it stayed a hat and no, I didn't chase it. Nothing more foolish than a man chasin' his hat.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Staples[/URL] have 60 black clips for $6.79 and 18 pastel fashion colors for $2.99[/URL] and I daresay, 3' of heavy black thread or twine sufficient to not separate in hurricane-force winds probably costs about a dime.

One secret when gusts of wind keep puffing a hat, paper or whatever down the street - get past the hat and block it. When it blows into your ankles, reach down and grab it. Otherwise, as you say, in trying to catch up to it, Mother Nature keeps moving the goal line another foot or two as you almost have the hat in your grasp.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Pduck said:
I walked out of a building today and a gust of wind took my hat off. I spun around to find it, but it was nowhere to be seen. The wind had picked it up like a kite and blown it about 20' in the air. It was really sailing! I was afraid it was going to land on a roof somewhere. At least it was going over the tops of the cars in the street. When I finally caught up to it, another gust would blow it away from me, keeping it just out of my reach. Mother Nature was indeed taunting me. Of course, I felt like a fool. I kept asking myself, "What would Cary Grant do"?

Oh well. :)

Strange,

Yesterday I decided to wear my VS Sivermist hat while taking jr. to the kindergarten. And at the street crossing the hat was blown off from my head and it begun to roll..... I staid with my son while stairing at the hat that was quickly hopping under the wheels of a car:eek: luckily it was not run over but it rolled further on the other side. We were duly crossing the road and once we arrived on the other sidewalk I run after my hat.
Since there was a stormy wind through last mornig and I never thought of a wind trolley I simply took it off and carried like that. This is why I wear my wool knit cap on windy days.

csheehan

New in Town
A friend once quoted a line from a Dickens novel, I can't remember which one, to the effect that you must look like you are enjoying the experience as much as the onlookers.

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Wind trolley

An ounce of prevention... I don't buy hats without wind trolleys anymore, and I've started having them added to hats I already owned before adopting the rule.

Last time the wind took my hat I was wearing the Como and had just been too lazy and impatient to button on the wind trolley. As I crossed the street, the wind blew it off behind me. Without even looking, by blind luck and instinct I reached behind me and instantly caught it by the brim and slapped it back down on my head. A shoeshine guy on the street saw it, and his mouth was in a big O. "Man, that was somethin'!" he said. Lucky shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy