Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there something you really want to wear but are chicken?

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
I have a sweet 1950's era hat with flowers around the crown that I really, really wanted to wear for Easter but chickened out. I know I would have received a lot of comments and attention at our very casual, country church and I just wasn't up for explaining myself all morning. It is such a cute hat, though.

I also have a fur stole that I am chicken to wear...it is vintage, but I worry that I will offend people who are against wearing fur.

Foofoogal

Banned
For some reason I cannot wear any type of animal print. Like PrettySquareGal's coat or any. I have no idea why. The funny thing is one of my best friends has animal prints almost as her theme. If I am going to buy her a gift I always will buy her something like leopard or some animal print.
I think it has something to do with in the past only bad girls wore them. lol

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_S8omJXZ4ltk/R2vZDRDWv_I/AAAAAAAACtA/oTo_Tz_TY4o/s320/Leopard+Boots.jpeg

here you go PSG. These will work well with your coat. ;)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Foofoogal said:
I think it has something to do with in the past only bad girls wore them. lol

I agree so very bad...

PICCATWOMANBERRYWHIPFORBLOG.jpg

jn-catwoman.jpg

I am so scared.....:eek:

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I get really nervous wearing playsuits, partly because the weather is so unreliable ( lol ) but mostly because it's really unusual to see someone in one over here, and I am never sure about my legs. But now rompers/playsuits are all the rage in the fashion magazines, I expect more will be wearing them this summer and I won't be so self conscious.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Great idea for a thread

Sort of the other side of the coin from "What would you never wear?"
For me it starts with the top hat. I now have two. I wore one to play Mayor Schinn in Music Man a couple of years ago, but I still have yet to wear it in "real life". I also have a nice black wool cape, from Casco Bay Woolens, that I got myself for my 60th birthday. I wore it a couple of times, but still feel very reticent.
My problem is compounded by my move to the Bronx. Not that there's anything wrong with the Bronx, but I do feel a little funny riding the subway home late at night through the South Bronx in anything "unusual". I've never experienced anything whatsoever that should make me feel that way, but it's still very much "Da Hood" up there.
I wore my pith helmet to Governor's Island last year and that pretty much punctured any nervousness I had about it. I think if you wear something once, and realize that it wasn't so bad, then that can break the ice, so to speak, for subsequent attempts. The same thing happened with my boater. I had felt conspicuous, but now feel relatively OK in it.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
You know how some folks are drawn to the so-ugly-he's-cute dog syndrome? That was me with a 1960 old-stock, tags still on, never worn trench coat. I eyed it for nearly a year and one day, it felt right and came home with me - fits like it was made for me. The vintage is far newer than the late 30's/early 40's eras I like, but there's just something about it. The coat is red and white checkered, like a picnic table - when I wear it, heads turn, strangers comment and Italians come out of the woodwork with pizza and chianti, mistaking me for an open table at local ristorante. If I'm feeling the least bit insecure, I can't wear it.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I have a beautiful Knox Boater that I purchased off of Ebay last summer and have yet to wear it out in public- I keep telling myself that I CAN pull this look off, yet I don't want to appear to be "costumed" when I do wear it out...

The Shirt

Practically Family
I have a single leopard item - a 60s swing coat. I barely will put it on now because it feels costumey most days. So I think I understand PSG. At 37 I think I am too old for it. But when I have a good hair day, my skin is clear and I am feeling like "screw the world", I will put it on. I try to remind myself how hot I think Mrs. Robinson is and channel that.

I bought a wedding/prom 50s dress that I have yet to wear. It's tremendous and fluffy. But where the heck to don it - I am at a loss.

dsp_promdresses12-07_008.jpg

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
The Shirt said:
I bought a wedding/prom 50s dress that I have yet to wear. It's tremendous and fluffy. But where the heck to don it - I am at a loss.

dsp_promdresses12-07_008.jpg

You HAVE to get invited to the prom! Maybe as a chaperone, but still! :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
PrettySquareGal said:
So who's going to be the first one to wear what they want and report back to us with pics of them wearing it in public? :)
That cuts straight through to the point. Let's see if we can turn this into the equivalent of the Douglas contest.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Turbans! That's great. I've been thinking that when I ride in the '59 convertible I've got to do something with my hair otherwise it ends up in a giant tangle. Perhaps a turban is the right answer. I might just take this dare! Even if it is only to the local Dairy Queen.

The Shirt

Practically Family
You HAVE to get invited to the prom! Maybe as a chaperone, but still!
I have no children, thus no prom in - don't you think it would be sad to see an older gal swaying near the bleachers all dolled up in a poofy dress. Like a scene from Never Been Kissed.... I would have killed for a prom dress like this back in the day.

Foofoogal

Banned
Wish we all lived near each other. We could have one giant blowout party where we would wear all these things we want to.
You would see me coming a mile away. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda