Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there something you really want to wear but are chicken?

Brooksie

One Too Many
jayem said:
No, but I did find a wonderful website of women who sew... and wear out in public (mostly to teas and conventions and other group outings) these lovely gowns. I'll revise the post and post the link in a second when I can find it.

http://bauhausfrau.livejournal.com/

I did, on one hand, wear a skimpier version last Halloween of a dead Marie Antoinette.

marie2.jpg

marie1.jpg

I love it!

B

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
anon` said:
-Tall boots with breeks (or jodhpurs, for that matter). If any of these are tried, this is the most likely candidate, I think.
Please do report back on the reaction when you do. This outfit sends all kinds of messages when worn by a man, many of them negative, and you have little control over what message people get: horsey? pretentious? prissy? kinky? authoritarian? fascist? fantasist?

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't mind trying pince-nez glasses; I'd look interesting in them, if a bit fuddy-duddy.

As for jodhpurs, I'd try it with a polo shirt, neck scarf, beret, and monocle. Perfect that German accent (complete with rolling R's), and pretty soon people will be approaching you, wanting to be an extra in your latest movie.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I do modeling every now and then, so I am able to get away with wearing a multitude of oddities in public when there is a photographer following me around.;)

Brooksie

Cigarband

A-List Customer
COWARDS!

You are all a bunch of sissies, and crybabies. You have no courage, no daring, no joie de vivre! I present to you photographic testament to a bravery which passeth all understanding. I saw this heroic martyr to fashion and had to document his elan and panache. He laughs at your petty fears, and strides boldly along ignoring the small minded people of "Taste". Look upon him, and be ashamed!:eek:

PICT0071.jpg

PICT0073.jpg

PICT0072.jpg

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I can't bring myself to wear red lippy or knee socks (not together!) in public. I just....am to afraid. Lippy unless you've got the whole ensemble always makes me feel A: like a mule, I hate my mouth B: loose. Lady of the night -ish.
and knee socks, well, that involves wearing something above my knees...yea...

Chas

One Too Many
A shroud. Otherwise, no.

I mean, I want to have one when I get torched or buried because otherwise it's a waste of a perfectly good suit.

But then again, I'm chicken of dying, but not of being dead. It's how that concerns me.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Mr_Misanthropy said:
In black or gray probably...

Tripcapbrown.jpg

I really like the look of it, but I'd have a hard time coming up with outfits to wear with it. This is going to end up an interesting thread!

Also, I agree with LordBest on the Plus Fours. However, one day when I order my dream Bookster tweed suit, I will get matching plus fours with it.

You could easily add a white, high collar, or no collar shirt, with some sort of black pants, and wear it to any sci-fi convention or a steampunk convention.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
AtomicEraTom said:
I'd like to have a nudie suit, but I think they're even too Hee-Haw for me!

1960_hankThompson.jpg

0005_nudie_suits.jpg

A Nudie suit would look good anywhere! I would certainly wear it onstage and do some sort of magic that I could incorporate a story of the suit into.

Edward

Bartender
Fletch said:
Please do report back on the reaction when you do. This outfit sends all kinds of messages when worn by a man, many of them negative, and you have little control over what message people get: horsey? pretentious? prissy? kinky? authoritarian? fascist? fantasist?

In full horsey get up and in the country, over here it'd not garner any comment. In town, I'd wager, it'd be somewhat different. You'd probably be considered to be eccentric, in fancy dress, or possibly some sort of fetishist. Oddly enough, I don't imagine you'd pull the 'Hitler' / 'Nazi' comments unless you were wearing black, or at least a greyish shade, despite the wide range of hues worn by the Wehrmacht during the Hitler period, and the fact that he himslf favoured brown hues, in all photos I've seen anyhow.

GeniusInTheLamp said:
I wouldn't mind trying pince-nez glasses; I'd look interesting in them, if a bit fuddy-duddy.

Ray Ban brought out a pince-nez model of sunglasses about ten years ago - Laurence Fishburne sported a pair in The Matrix. They certainly didn't look fuddy duddy, though they did have rather a hip hop appearance.

Tiller

Practically Family
djhatman said:
Not so much something to wear but I would love to add a cane or swager stick to my outfits. I just would be to self aware and not able to pull it off.:(

I agree with this one, at my age if you carry around a cane you basically get called a pimp. Which is the reason I haven't been able to buy one (besides a Shillelagh I have).

Baby Jane

New in Town
I have yet to pluck up enough courage to wear a mini veiled top hat or a fascinator although I have a bunch hanging on the all around my waterfall vanity.

klind65

One of the Regulars
Be true to your convictions...

Hello. To directly answer the question, yes, I would like to wear the neck furs from the 20's with the head and tail and feet attached. I know where to get them and probably will one day wear them.... the only thing which causes me to hesitate is the possiblility of being accosted by anti-fur enthusiasts! I live in NYC and have no problems of that sort since very many ladies wear furs in the winter. But I think people may be more vociferous when the heads and feet are attached! Any advice? Do any of you ladies wear these ? If so, how do you deflect hecklers? I have one riposte at the ready in case the need arises: I smile and simply say, " Judge not, that ye be not judged" (Christ). Its not rude, it simply gets my point accross.
But I'd also like to address the members who have non-fur items they are afraid to wear. In addition to my skirt suits, I wear white gloves and hats everyday - to work, to shop, to socialize - whatever. I have had only the kindest, most enthusiastic responses from people: male, female, old, young, different races - all types. Some are curious and want to know why I am dressed so well. This always saddens me because it momentarily takes me out of my "own world" and reminds me that I do indeed live in this unfortuante period in which one needs a "reason" to dress well, but not one to dress like a bum! However, I always smile and explain that one doesn't in fact need a reason, and that self-respect and respect for others dictate that one present oneself respectably in public. This always goes over well; I have never ever had a problem. Of course, I am in a large city, still, human nature being what it is, everyone responds positively to beauty. If you look good, people may be curious but I doubt you'll encounter any unkind responses. So, please - be true to your convictions and wear your best. As more people do this, we could actually return the world to its former sartorial glory - everyone in suits and dresses and hats , gloves etc.... Why not? See yourself as a "teacher" of sorts reminding those in a "sheeplike" somnolence - that PRESENTATION MATTERS. Kind wishes, klind65:) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24