Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there something you really want to wear but are chicken?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Hmm nothing really. If I want to wear it, I'll wear it. But I'm pretty thick skinned for clothing. I used to dress in 18th clothing 24/7 in college (knee breeches, tricorn hat, etc) and take my notes with a quill and ink, and on special occasions some wigs! So after that phase, anything I do is pretty tame: morning dress, fedoras, etc.

Well maybe not 14th men's fashion with the cod pieces, tight tights and those hats that look like condoms... :p

Panache

A-List Customer
Trebuchet64_Fal said:
I have a vintage Kilt which i have worn a couple of times but lately i find i do not have the courage,or maybe its just a lack of oportunity,any how i think it looks great.

When I did a quick search I found a Scottish Society in Victoria Australia

http://www.geocities.com/scottishgaelicvic/

It might be worth checking out.

Ceilidhs, Highland Games, and Burns Night Suppers are all great opportunities to comfortably wear the kilt and not be at all out of the ordinary.

You really don't an excuse / opportunity to wear your kilt, just hold your head up high and do it! ;)

Cheers

Jamie

cynroux

Familiar Face
I'm lucky. I don't care what people think. Honestly. Life is too short. I'll wear what I want, when I want. But that's the beauty of part carny, part costume dog. :D

Reversing roles with my studio mate at an art show last year:
2584372184_94740b9a8d.jpg

Tattooing at the Baltimore Convention. Pardon the bloomers:
2258385935_02c44b043a.jpg

Sometimes, it gets a little out of hand.
3484526663_d71f03743c.jpg

But I've had years of practice to get used to the stares:
3334667098_2f99c097b5_o.jpg

My advice....if you love it, WEAR IT!

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I bought a very nice 60's vintage three-piece sharkskin suit off eBay about a year ago and still haven't found an occasion to wear it. It's sort of crimson, leaning toward the purple side, and looks previously unworn. Size 48 and fits me like it was tailored. A rare bird indeed. I may post pictures of it sometime.

cynroux

Familiar Face
Matt, take your wife out for drinks or dinner or a little music. That alone is enough reason to wear the sharkskin suit. We all need to band together to bring back the tradition of dressing sharp when we go out.

And thank you. The photo is from a series of self portraits based on the colors of the spectrum and, uhm, booze.
It's really more of a photoillustration. Lots of photo, lots more photoshop. :D

The entire series is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cynroux/sets/72157615320093116/

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've been thinking since this thread started, and I can't think of anything that I want to wear that I'm too chicken to. If I like something and want to wear it, I will, though I'll make an effort to make it work with everything else I'm wearing.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Macheath said:
Sad thing is, I *still get Inspector Gadget comments (from my pop, mostly) even when it rains.

Shangas, I'm 5'6" as well, and I wear one when it's cold/raining. I don't think it's any less appropriate on me than it is on a chap that's 6 foot tall.
I think the reason I get fewer Inspector Gadget comments in the rain is because the idiots who say them can't see me as well as they have rain in their face due to not wearing a brimmed hat. ;)

But people will make the comments whether or not you wear a trench coat. I was called Indiana Jones yesterday when I was in a an off-white sport coat and grey fedora, so they will say Inspector Gadget even if you wear no trench coat but just a suit. An equal amount of people should also make good comments though, why else is the nicest comment thread nearly as popular as this one?

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Chasseur said:
Hmm nothing really. If I want to wear it, I'll wear it. But I'm pretty thick skinned for clothing. I used to dress in 18th clothing 24/7 in college (knee breeches, tricorn hat, etc) and take my notes with a quill and ink, and on special occasions some wigs! So after that phase, anything I do is pretty tame: morning dress, fedoras, etc.
I must admit, I'm quite impressed and fascinated by this. Any pics?..

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I love my trench! I hate the summer expressly because its too hot to wear it. Once you get over the self-conscious phase, you'll never go back.

I'll wear pretty much anything I like in public, but I can't help but wonder what people think of me when I do. I've owned a Utilikilt for about three years now. I wear it a couple times a week, but as much as I love it, I always notice the stares and wonder exactly what are they thinking. I've also gone out numerous times in full Rennaissance Faire outfit after faire. Probably my favorites were six of us in full outfit at a Japanese curry place, and wandering around the grocery store.

Strangely enough, the two things I own that I would like to wear but I am just too afraid to are my sports coat, and a red pullover hoodie I got in Canada that has "Canada" across the front. Oh, and I'm just a tad nervous to wear a fedora with my Utilikilt, but I think I'll give it a try here soon, even though my wife thinks its "a bit much".

ValenciaCalling

New in Town
I love big floppy hats. Its seems the only place you can get away with them is if they are straw and you are at the beach. Maybe that's another reason why I love the beach so much!

anon`

One Too Many
Heh... fun thread. I can think of a few things of my own:

-Morning dress, just because.
-Evening dress, just because.

(Even here in Portland, both of those are pushing the envelope of weird. "Weird" here, for all its loveliness, apparently has a different meaning than "weird" anywhere else.)

-Jodhpurs.
-Tall boots with breeks (or jodhpurs, for that matter). If any of these are tried, this is the most likely candidate, I think.
-Birka tunic, trousers and Oseberg boots (caveat: I would wear this, but only in the context of living history, re-enactments or a faire of some sort).

That pretty much does it. I think I'm brave (dumb?) enough to wear just about anything else I might want to...

Brooksie

One Too Many
anon` said:
Heh... fun thread. I can think of a few things of my own:

-Morning dress, just because.
-Evening dress, just because.

(Even here in Portland, both of those are pushing the envelope of weird. "Weird" here, for all its loveliness, apparently has a different meaning than "weird" anywhere else.)

-Jodhpurs.-Tall boots with breeks (or jodhpurs, for that matter). If any of these are tried, this is the most likely candidate, I think.
-Birka tunic, trousers and Oseberg boots (caveat: I would wear this, but only in the context of living history, re-enactments or a faire of some sort).

That pretty much does it. I think I'm brave (dumb?) enough to wear just about anything else I might want to...

Hey, I used to have a pair of 1940's jodhpurs and I used to wear them all of the time in the late 80's right after the Indiana Jone's and the Last Crusade came out. I wore them with high riding style boots or sometimes with a short combat style boot. They were lots of fun and because most everybody saw the movie they were totally accepted. I wish I never got rid of them.

Brooksie

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Not really. As someone who was once a professional hometown Clown that did gigs wearing a long curled bubble gum pink wig, wore a multicolored professional caliber Clown costume with 15" shoes, and did comedy whiteface makeup, usually performing to complete strangers- after that there isn't much I'd be chicken to wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic