Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a faux pas?

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
Next week I have to attend my company's global sales meeting in Boston. There is a formal awards ceremony one evening. A coworker and I were discussing what we planned to wear and I said I intend to wear the dress I wore to the company Christmas party. Her response: "I was thinking about committing that faux pas, but I haven't decided yet."

It's a seasonally-appropriate/event-appropriate dress. Ninety percent of the people who were at the Christmas party will NOT be at the meeting/awards ceremony. The only people who might even remember what I wore to the company Christmas party are in my department and have already made whatever judgments about me they're going to make.

Am I crazy for wanting to wear a perfectly good dress more than once? I like new dresses as much as the next gal, but it seems ridiculous to me to go out and buy something new when I already have something I like that I could wear. Is this really a faux pas?

Thanks for helping me sort this out.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
Absolutely not. You are entitled to wear what you're happy with and do not need to buy something new. I think your coworker's comment was rude and she should apply that "rule" only to herself if she believes it is indeed a rule.
If you had event after event, then you would need to expand your wardrobe.
Have fun, in any case.

Drappa

One Too Many
Good grief, no! How many men would go out and buy a new suit for every work event? It is completely acceptable to wear it again, and I feel sad for your coworker if she feels pressured to buy a new outfit for every event she goes to.
If you worked in fashion I could see people making catty remarks, but I doubt most would notice or care.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
The only obvious "faux pas" is her snarky comment to you!! You can certainly wear the same dress you wore to the holiday party (unless it has Santas and reindeer on it, then you may want to rethink that choice :D ) - accessories, the way you wear your hair... all of that can make it a "different" dress.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
No. Even if it was the same dress you wore with 100% of the same people, it's none of their business. Heck, you could own *one* dress and wear it to every formal event (if it is proper for the occasion) and you still would not be in the wrong.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I agree with all the comments posted so far. It's up to you which frock you choose to dress for the ocassion. Your co-worker obviously needs a saucer of milk...

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
What in the world did she mean? Has she never heard of the "little black dress"?

"A little black dress is an evening or cocktail dress, cut simply and often quite short. Fashion historians ascribe the origins of the little black dress to the 1920s designs of Coco Chanel, intended to be long-lasting, versatile, affordable,"

If Coco Chanel's dresses could be long lasting, versatile and affordable so can yours ;)

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Yes. True quality can be worn over and over (different accessories?). Those who wear something different to every occasion either borrow it ( see red carpet gowns) or buy cheap, basically disposable fashion.

Wear your dress with pride!

lareine

A-List Customer
Agree with everyone else -- not a faux pas at all.

I wore the same sparkly full length skirt to two separate Christmas functions and then two years later to my own wedding. Reduce, reuse, and recycle!!

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Next week I have to attend my company's global sales meeting in Boston. There is a formal awards ceremony one evening. A coworker and I were discussing what we planned to wear and I said I intend to wear the dress I wore to the company Christmas party. Her response: "I was thinking about committing that faux pas, but I haven't decided yet."

It's a seasonally-appropriate/event-appropriate dress. Ninety percent of the people who were at the Christmas party will NOT be at the meeting/awards ceremony. The only people who might even remember what I wore to the company Christmas party are in my department and have already made whatever judgments about me they're going to make.

Am I crazy for wanting to wear a perfectly good dress more than once? I like new dresses as much as the next gal, but it seems ridiculous to me to go out and buy something new when I already have something I like that I could wear. Is this really a faux pas?

Thanks for helping me sort this out.

I never wear a dress, but then again I'm a guy. I don't see anything wrong with wearing the same dress. Perhaps your friend doesn't know what a faux pas is.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In times like these, making a big deal about needing a new dress for every occasion is irresponsible, wasteful, and gauche.

I'd change that to: Making a a big deal about needing a new dress for every occasion is irresponsible, wasteful, and gauche.

I can still remember sitting next to a woman who complained she had 3 weddings to attend that summer, and had to buy three $100 dresses. I told her that I was wearing a dress from the thrift store that I bought on $1 bag day. The look of repulsion on her face made my week, it was like I had revealed to her that I hadn't bathed in 3 weeks and lived in a dumpster.

If somebody wants a new dress for every occasion it's fine and wonderful for them. But no one should demand or expect someone to buy a new dress for each occasion, unless they want to pony up the money and buy you the new dress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner