Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this Schott a keeper? (+ mini review)

newtojackets

Practically Family
Saw this really interesting Schott X Rag N Bone Jacket on sale recently for a great price so picked it up. And I've got to say this is unlike any other Schott I've ever seen:

IMG_1784.JPEG

There are numerous unique detail which you usually don't see on Schotts. Firstly the obvious D-pocket, higher than most other D-pockets I've seen.

IMG_1786.JPEG

The leather, although also steerhide, is very very different to Schott's usual steerhide. It has a a rough and quite shiny (almost glittery texture). I've tried to capture this in the photos but I think it is more noticeable in real life. The best way I'd describe it is light shimmering of asphalt. The finish also does not feel like usual leather, almost as if there is some lamination / coating. Anyone familiar with this leather?

IMG_1785.JPEG

Behind the neck there is a ribbed collar, taken from what you would usually see on a bomber

IMG_1790.JPEG

The back also darts, which is a cool detail. There is also an arch hidden under the colalr (similar to the Schott arch you sometimes see)

IMG_1791.JPEG

All the zipper are from universal rather than the usual Ideal

IMG_1787.JPEG IMG_1788.JPEG

The lining is also very unique with a different lining for the kidney panel (I don't if there is a functional reasoning behind this but it is a cool detail)

IMG_1789.JPEG

I think this jacket is going to be extremely divisive with some liking it's playfulness, but repro-accurate fans will not like some of the details. On the whole I love how unique it is. The reason why I am asking if this jacket is a keeper is the fit is boxier than I usually wear (I read online that it was intended to have a more loose silhouette). I'm leaning towards keeping this but would love FL's input (on everything from the details to the fit). Thank you!

IMG_1778_2.JPEG

I love it. I'm not overly fond of saying that the jacket needs to get broken in to look better on someone as this should be the case right from the get go, but this for once seems to be the case here - Although it fits you very well as it stands. Right kind of boxy that's perfectly sized, in my opinion.

Leather looks very lovely. Reminds me of the calf high-end jackets are made of. I'd happily own this jacket for sure.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket i like the look and extra details like that rivets reinforced pocket edge, and it fits you in size, i like some sheen on leather jacket your leather seems to have that too. Whats not to love? Congrats

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Saw this really interesting Schott X Rag N Bone Jacket on sale recently for a great price so picked it up. And I've got to say this is unlike any other Schott I've ever seen:

View attachment 478887

There are numerous unique detail which you usually don't see on Schotts. Firstly the obvious D-pocket, higher than most other D-pockets I've seen.

View attachment 478889

The leather, although also steerhide, is very very different to Schott's usual steerhide. It has a a rough and quite shiny (almost glittery texture). I've tried to capture this in the photos but I think it is more noticeable in real life. The best way I'd describe it is light shimmering of asphalt. The finish also does not feel like usual leather, almost as if there is some lamination / coating. Anyone familiar with this leather?

View attachment 478888

Behind the neck there is a ribbed collar, taken from what you would usually see on a bomber

View attachment 478893

The back also darts, which is a cool detail. There is also an arch hidden under the colalr (similar to the Schott arch you sometimes see)

View attachment 478894

All the zipper are from universal rather than the usual Ideal

View attachment 478890 View attachment 478891

The lining is also very unique with a different lining for the kidney panel (I don't if there is a functional reasoning behind this but it is a cool detail)

View attachment 478892

I think this jacket is going to be extremely divisive with some liking it's playfulness, but repro-accurate fans will not like some of the details. On the whole I love how unique it is. The reason why I am asking if this jacket is a keeper is the fit is boxier than I usually wear (I read online that it was intended to have a more loose silhouette). I'm leaning towards keeping this but would love FL's input (on everything from the details to the fit). Thank you!

View attachment 478886
I like it. It's a cool jacket. If you like how it fits, wear it
Where the leather is fully broken in, it's going to be amazing. Give it a few years for maximum effect.

newtojackets

Practically Family
I love it. I'm not overly fond of saying that the jacket needs to get broken in to look better on someone as this should be the case right from the get go, but this for once seems to be the case here - Although it fits you very well as it stands. Right kind of boxy that's perfectly sized, in my opinion.

Leather looks very lovely. Reminds me of the calf high-end jackets are made of. I'd happily own this jacket for sure.
Agreed that it really reminds me of calf leather!

newtojackets

Practically Family
Nice jacket i like the look and extra details like that rivets reinforced pocket edge, and it fits you in size, i like some sheen on leather jacket your leather seems to have that too. Whats not to love? Congrats
didn't even notice the reinforced edge until you mentioned it

newtojackets

Practically Family
I like it. It's a cool jacket. If you like how it fits, wear it
Where the leather is fully broken in, it's going to be amazing. Give it a few years for maximum effect.
I do like the fit. I think if I only had one jacket I would want something slimmer, but I guess the fact that I already have slim jackets means this adds something different to my collection

newtojackets

Practically Family
Looks great, I read that this is chrome-tanned cowhide. Did yours come without the belt? It should have one.
Ah I see, this is definitely different to schott's naked cowhide. I think it's closest to their 519 leather, but I think it's still different (though I have never handled that leather in person). I actually just noticed the belt missing earlier today, the seller sold it without it. I message them to see if they still have it, but if it doesn't I'm not too concerned

Damon141

Practically Family
I love it, definitely a keeper, thst red liner pops with the glossy black leather.

Schotts can be boxy but I’d say the upward angle of the camera shot is enhancing the effect.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The boxyness is almost entirely because it's not broken in yet. Because they use large panels of substantial leather, until those are broken in, they kind of hang off of you. Once they break in, they stick to you much more snuggly. You could speed up both processes by getting hot water on it and wearing it, but there's no rush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ