Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is time running out for the wristwatch? BBC Wonders...

theinterchange

One Too Many
Rightly or Wrongly - when I meet people there are a few things I immediately notice about them. One is footwear, the other is their wrist-watch. I dare say other's do the same.

I'm right there with you. I'm not anal about how someone should or shouldn't be dressed, but I am curious about the little things that they choose to display on their person. It's interesting.

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
Absolutely,no quartz!And that brings us to another of my pet hates:SatNavs!If you can't read a map you shouldn't be allowed out,unless under supervision!

I find it disgusting when people use them in their OWN town... if you don't know your way around your hometown... you don't deserve to be on the road!

Now, if I saw someone trying to navigate with the aide of a MapQuest map, I'd say they NEED a GPS... I rarely find their directions accurate. The first time I discovered this, I had went 10 or so miles down a narrow country road and turned around at the first place I could... I was supposed to turn left, but they told me right.

Randy

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I really enjoy wearing and using a wristwatch. I find that I am quite particular about what watch I will choose for myself, probably because I think the watch one wears says alot about the person, and thereby it has to 'suit' them- not just be fashionable. I dislike being without one, having to dig out a cell phone ain't the same! Don't get me started on that one... Worse yet, its now with all the technology out there, that when I am on the rare occasion watch-less and I ask someone else what time it is by holding out my wrist to them - most often the person does not 'get' what my motion indicates! I've had many favourite watches over years, and am always 'on the hunt' (like a good Anthropologist should be?:)) for a nice modern watch done in vintage style-hard to find!! My last one got lost at the YMCA somewhere and I have been hard pressed to getting it replaced with something else suitable. Found a lovely vintage gold double faced WWII nurse's watch on the evilBay, but when received it was very petite and delicate, and it seems better suited for my teenage dd Sarah. Still I wear it often, rather than having the gold mesh straps altered to make it smaller in the wrist size for her. I've cracked one of the crystals, but was given the name of watch repair in SF that can make me another- its on my 'to do' list! I found Sarah a vintage silver 30s one with sapphires from the same seller and I do wear it, even though I do not prefer the black leather band with my coloring. Hers is a bit bigger and not as fragile as my vintage one.

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Personally as a relative "youngster" (at 25) I'm a certified watch nut.
My preferred watch is an Omega Speedmaster that was my college graduation gift to myself, though it's been out for service since July (went back to Omega and they seem to be taking their time). My first proper mechanical watch was a Steinhausen, and more recently I added a Quartz Hamilton, which although it's quartz, I still find pretty attractive (and good to have when the Omega is out for service!)
alli008.gif

As a mechanical engineer, mechanical watches simply fascinate me, though the maintenance bills are a bit ridiculous.

I imagine perhaps a drop in the type of watches that are intended solely for telling time... the $10 digital doohickeys at Wal-Mart, but I think there will always be a market for the higher-end stuff, because the utilitarian act of "telling time" is a very small fraction of the reason you buy one. When $100 or less will buy you an "atomically" accurate watch, why would anyone spend $10,000 on a Rolex? Whatever those reasons are, I expect they will survive beyond cell phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24