Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just brushed my hat for the first time

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
I've owned my chocolate brown Akubra Lawson for about 7 months now. Love the hat, but only occasional use, as I'm currently in Iraq for a year. I used it extensively on my 2-week R&R though. Had not accumulated a lot of wear or dirt yet.

I keep the hat under a desk, in a box. About a month ago, I had it out and it fell on the floor. Around here, EVERYTHING has dirt dust on it, so it picked up a decent bit before I saw it and picked it up. So I did some research here, couldn't come up with a particular brush, and just ordered the most available one off of Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Smartek-Hat-Brush-BR-31/dp/B000VI14AQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304015884&sr=8-1

213awIrBiYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Used the accepted practice of going counter-clockwise around the hat with the brush. And then when I flipped it over, I went clockwise, although I have not been able to confirm here that clockwise is proper for the underside of the brim.

Wow, I was surprised how well it did, and how much of a difference it made! Dust and dirt came right out, and I think it looks even better than new now. Wish I had before-and-after pics to share, but I don't think they would have properly shown the difference in cleanliness.

fmw

One Too Many
You did it right. You want to go with the grain of the hair. Counterclockwise on the top of the brim and on the crown. Clockwise on the bottom of the brim.

Qirrel

Practically Family
It does not really make any difference which way you brush your hat. Most hats are felt, which is not directional unless you make it. You will eventually create a directional nap if you brush your hat only CCW. It is easy to see if your hat has a directional nap or not, you will also spot it if you brush the pile the wrong way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails