Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is your pay pal hacked?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have to ask this, as I just now was attempting to make a purchase on eBay and just as soon as I logged onto pay pal, it is showing a page asking me to "update" both my bank and credit card information, as it is asking for both of those account "full" numbers. Well, they already know that information so I cannot think it is really something pay pal is asking. I look at the address information on the top of the computer which would show what web page I am on, and it looks exactly what Pay Pal would be....then no matter what I try to do within the Pay Pal website, it goes right back to that same page! LOL! The only option I can do on the site is to look at my "profile" and underneath my home address is another address that appears to be written in the Russian Alphabet. Pay Pal call center is closed this late, but what do you think? It just seems far too odd that anyone would ask to "verify" a existing bank account. You know normally when you look at the account information for you bank, it does not show all your account numbers, but it is asking me to do just that.

Any ideas?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Some strange activity has been happening in both my eBay and PayPal accounts in the last month or so. Both have been dormant for over a year and have no balances or cards attached so I haven't acted. Sounds like there's something nefarious happening to your account.

RailRoad

Familiar Face
I wouldn't make a move till I got paypal on the phone. I ask pretty much the same question on US Militaria forum last year but it was because of an email which was addressed to Dear PayPal user. I called paypal and was told if it was real it would have been addressed to me personally. Email wanted me to open a link to update my info.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I am on cell now to even post this now but on. My pay pal profile regarding personal address there is a Russian address and name a google search shows me where in Russia. Plus a facebook of this young male looks about he is maybe 20 or so years old. I am running a boot time virus scan and will change All log in passwords to everything we do online but on another computer.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You well could be! Last year, someone got into mine and charged a bunch of items. They even changed my address to a Wisconsin computer store. Change your pass words, on PayPal, ebay, and your email. I ended up owing nothing, but it temporarily lowered my credit score. They never did tell me if any one was caught.

Mr.Astor

Banned
Yesterday I had a similar problem pay pal requested an update for my account, they had a wrong credit card number on my account. I updated but now I am worried also. Will call this morning this seems to coincidental!!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Yesterday I had a similar problem pay pal requested an update for my account, they had a wrong credit card number on my account. I updated but now I am worried also. Will call this morning this seems to coincidental!!

I am about to call them myself, have been waiting to review all our bank information and speak to the bank. I am more than not, going to close down the pay pal account. I have spoken with a top IT person whom is in charge of all the IT for Campbells soup. That person tells me it is INSIDE of pay pal and NOT a computer issue on my part due to the fact the cell phone is not nor has ever been linked to our computer here at home, we never do anything on line with it, not even read emails on it. Have only been on line a few times to read and post here. This is round TWO of having some serious issues with pay pal.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

If you used pay pal and your card information was there, highly unlikely it was wrong all of a sudden out of the blue. Drats, pay pal.....security stinks., And all this may be from one of their own.

Mr.Astor

Banned
Thanks lovemyhats! I spoke with PayPal this morning I'm clear!! They said account was old and wanted to update haven't used that account for 10 years. Anyway thank you very much for the heads up. In regard to cell phone my son had a friend with very similar problem with his cell phone it was like they hijacked his number and transferred him to another operation and they asked for his banking records! You better get in touch with your bank. Again this is a very informative forum and thank you very much! Everyone should take heed to this information!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
If your attached card has expired, they'll ask for an update, or if it has been a long time since the card/account was used, they'll probably try and verify that everything is still current. If you go to the physical website, from scratch (not by clicking a link somewhere else), you should be OK. But the Russian business sounds weird. Try and get a screen cap, if you can, so once it's cleared up, you have something to refer to as proof if you need it.
Of course, anti-virus software should always be up-to-date, and it doesn't hurt to start scanning for a key logger or something.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Yes I am just now off the phone with pay pal. The said they could see where someone in Russia had indeed accessed the pay pal account and had actually attempted to say to them it was HIS account and this person had requested from Pay Pal to inform him of the banking information! Now this is NOT anything to do with my computer nor my cell phone. This "hack" was strickly from someone being able to hack pay pal itself. Pay pal has a policy to NOT allow a outside of your country address being added to your profile. They had noticed this activity already (according to the rep I spoke to) BUT they had not yet contacted me, they have both my email and phone contact information. They knew someone from Russia had accessed my account and had some control about it as that person was able to place the page of information the way it was, all on the pay pal so called secure sight! Yes Pay Pal made it so I could totally change my log in and some other measures to gain back control of the account, cannot tell you all of that here but it should keep that little Russian crook from being back into my account any time soon. They (Pay Pal) actually have this runt's name and address and telephone contact information, pay pal's "fraud" division is suppose to act upon this however, who in Russia is going to do anything to this crook at the request of any "Western" legal authority? No one, that's who.

I have to ask now, how safe is anyone's pay pal account? Do you check to see if your pay pal profile information is not having some one else place their personal information on that part of your account? As it is, if someone is going to be able to use your account, control it, that is where it is going to start.

I hope everyone on the Lounge will read this thread as I would feel sadly for any other of us here on the Lounge to suffer from this sort of a problem.

Now....back to shopping on eBay for my Husband! LOL!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
If your attached card has expired, they'll ask for an update, or if it has been a long time since the card/account was used, they'll probably try and verify that everything is still current. If you go to the physical website, from scratch (not by clicking a link somewhere else), you should be OK. But the Russian business sounds weird. Try and get a screen cap, if you can, so once it's cleared up, you have something to refer to as proof if you need it.
Of course, anti-virus software should always be up-to-date, and it doesn't hurt to start scanning for a key logger or something.

Thank you so very much and a welcome "good morning" to you kind sir.

If you think about this....if you have a cell phone and never sync it to any apps or anything you do on your computer you have no way for a "hacker" to take over your cell phone browser to do the same thing that would be taking place on your home PC. The same "web page" of information was also showing on the "smart phone" when logged into pay pal. From what Pay Pal informed me, they knew it was a direct hack into my pay pal account. I guessed that as it was the same page of information right after logging in to the pay pal account, asking me to "verify" for security reasons full bank and credit card information and I could not do anything else within the normal menu options while on pay pal other than to see my profile, I was not able to change the password, not able to see any transactions, not able to do any of those options but I was able to use the help option so I could get a code for calling with their pay pal phone number.

They knew this had happened to, by the way. They just had not yet contacted me to inform me of this issue. So I asked the pay pal representative "why" and he stated he had no idea why they knew all this and had not yet contacted me!

The entire event was a blow to our household moral. Not to make too much a deal of this factor, but, my Husband had a very large sum of money invested in a firm that was eventually closed down and he was/still is a Madoff victim. To date we have still not been refunded what was taken from him due to that. We have about been frazzled by the way the "legal system" has allowed even the law firm that was directed by the courts in regards to paying/distributing the victim's funds back. This has been an ongoing fight for years. So yes, we are really going to be very picky about anything dishonest happening to our money or anyone else that may be at risk. It flat out stinks to be ripped off.

I had to say a prayer for forgiveness to this young man in Russia who attempted to take our pay pal money. Why? I had cursed him with the fleas of a thousand camels......lol!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
All over the news today about a security breach regarding encryption and hacking on the web, "heartbleed" is what they are calling it. To me a bit more than "circumstantial evidence" that it does happen!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner