Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is youth around the corner?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
http://health.yahoo.com/news/167313

Well who really does want to live forever? I miss those old sci-fi movies with the jaded population waiting for the great exterminator to arrive (Zardoz). Hmmm. Perhaps not longer life though the look of youth for longer is a passion of many.

I found my first gray hair a few weeks back. Cool beans I thought. And that's still how I feel. So why is it that in society today, men are looked at and thought of as more distinguished while women are looked at as old? Anywho I don't think that way judging by my dating habits.

So how do you feel about aging? It's all good and well as long as the wisdom comes with the package, though The look... anyone else here for the older look?

I'll try to post a pic of my gray hair when I can find the macro setting on my camera.

VivianRegan

One of the Regulars
30 going on 24...

I just turned 30 last month.

I tried not to let it weird me out as the day approached, but it did, a bit. Kept thinking about Logan's Run, waiting for my palm to start blinking.

I have a mortgage, a paid-off car and am in grad school, but I don't feel like an adult.

Living forever? No way. Dullsville. People can fight aging all they want with their over-the-top diets, surgeries and the like, but it's silly to me, because no one has ever lived forever, not even Dracula.

I somehow feel classier at 30, too.

Getting older ain't so bad. Gray hairs are distinguished! I bet most fellas on this site wouldn't mind some salt-and-pepper a la Cary Grant. And as a gal, I can't say I mind seeing that on the fellas!

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it weren't for the slower metabolism and the joint pain, it would be great. I get taken more seriously at 45 than at 35, and I've mellowed appreciably. I can sit in traffic and not blow several gaskets.

The grey is coming in at the temples quite nicely. :)

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
I wouldn't mind looking young and living forever; just as long as I can change my mind about the "forever" somewhere down the line. Feeling young would be more important than having smooth skin though. I'd rather not have crippling arthritis, incontinence etc.

I don't think looking young would keep you from gaining the wisdom, except maybe that which comes directly from experiencing old age first-hand.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Age is a mental thing...

...it's something that goes on in your mind.
In my line of work (advertising) there is a tendency to look at youth, as if nobody over the age of 40 is capabel of getting any new, fresh idears.
(I am the living proof of the opposit.)
I have met 25 year olds who were more conform and grown into habbits, than people at 40+ or 50+ for that matter.
And women? They are getting more and more appealing the older they get.
(Yes - grey hair is great!!!!)
They mature like good wine. They know things! I mean, what can you talk to some 22 year old bimbo about?
It's absolutely great getting older. And having a wife 10 years younger:)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I was young once, and I wasn't good at it. Never partied, never carried on, never whooped it up.

Got my first grey hairs when I was sixteen. Now I'm 43, and have sciatica and hot flashes and need bifocals. But you know what?

I wouldn't be sixteen, in this day and age, for anything in the world.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

Being older is a great thing. Being a teen was difficult.

The biggest downside isn't that a fellow is sprouting some gray hair, or can't run right out onto the soccer field without a second thought, or must begin to hire someone to fix the roof. The worst thing for a man is to reach that age where he is suddenly invisible to 25 year old women.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

My twenties were more enjoyable than my teenage years. My thirties were much better than my twenties. My forties have been far more fulfilling than my thirties.....so far. Getting older has been good to me. I agree with Tony though on metabolism, though.....that and I wish my hairline would stay put.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It depends on how a person grows old. Some people try to stay forever young by affecting the dress and speech of much younger people, getting plastic surgery, and dying their hair, the men will trade in their car and wife for newer models. I call this fighting age tooth and nail.

Others completely succomb to old age. They're sedentary, they harangue their kids to come see them, and talk about their aches and pains and operations. They aren't so weak that they don't forcefully assert themselves when slighted, though. I call this getting old.

Then there are those gems who make themselves useful, counsel their younger friends, look forward to each day, seek new experiences, and keep abreast of what's new (even if they don't embrace it). They rarely speak of health problems to anyone but doctors. I call this maturing.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
I dye my hair, I have the sort of coloring that makes me look tired and worn out with gray hair :eek: and I would rather not look worn out on my job, it'll give my patients a bad impression :p
Other than that, I don't mind my age, and one thing that I find with my age is that I can get away with a lot more than when I was young. Age and experience has given me enough of a leeway for others to accept that what I do is from my knowing the better, rather than due to impudence and lack of respect, which younger people would be put down for. :rolleyes:

As for the article, it got me wondering, hmmm, are estrogen/progesterone the culprit, or the lack of androgen/testosterone?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'll be forty next year. I am not overtly aware of my age though. I am in a good place in my life, with many friends and many creative outlets.

I remember when I thought that the signs of age were unattractive, back when I was a foolish teenager. Now I look at the lines coming in at the corners of my eyes with the same appreciation as I would of the glaze marks on antique porcelain or the sheen on fine old leather. I rather like my gray too. I was born platinum blonde, then my hair mellowed to a deep chestnut in my teen years and now it is lightening again. It is all part of a cycle.

Also, I find nothing more beautiful than a woman with a little experience embellishing her countenance! How's that for a euphemism! ;)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's not the aging it's the medical problems associated with it. Unfortunately I know nobody in my age group that doesn't suffer some sort of medical problems that limits our ability to function normally.

I think this is kinda like the old Billy Crystal on SNL doing Fernando Lamas "You look marvelous!" Doesn't matter how crappy you feel as long as you look good.;)

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Getting old isn’t the issue. Being “Soylent Green” is. I have a friend that refers to people that don’t matter as “Soylent Green”. His point is that these people would better serve society as Soylent Green than in their current state. And unlike in the movie, being a candidate for Soylent Green has nothing to do with your age.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rundquist said:
Getting old isn’t the issue. Being “Soylent Green” is. I have a friend that refers to people that don’t matter as “Soylent Green”. His point is that these people would better serve society as Soylent Green than in their current state. And unlike in the movie, being a candidate for Soylent Green has nothing to do with your age.
:eek:fftopic: It's been years since I've seen it, but didn't they just randomly use bulldozers to scoop people up to make "Soylent Green?" Wasn't it "Logan's Run" where all people were killed over 30?

And "Soylent Green" had Edward G. Robinson. What a strange way to say good bye to the screen!

Naama

Practically Family
MK said:
My twenties were more enjoyable than my teenage years. My thirties were much better than my twenties. My forties have been far more fulfilling than my thirties.....so far. Getting older has been good to me. I agree with Tony though on metabolism, though.....that and I wish my hairline would stay put.

My twenties are better then my teenage years as well. Or let's say, my twenties are somehow like my teenage years should/could have been....
But that fact actually makes me feel pretty old at times [huh]

I have to admit, I'm really, really afraid of getting old! I'm afraid of wrinkles, bad health and looking.... you know.... not my "best" anymore.....

Naama

Rosie

One Too Many
I found my first gray hair at 25. Now at very close to 29, I have about 6 that I can see, who knows what lurks in the back of my head where my eyes can't reach? :p

At my age, I feel more comfortable with myself, more confident. Much better than my early twenties and teenage years. I'm not really afraid of getting old, I feel that I've gotten prettier with age, but that may just be in my mind and anyway, people in my family tend to look very young still into their 60s and 70s. My mom just began getting a wrinkle or two but, she is in her 60s and was literally deathly ill a few years back so I suppose that has taken its toll on her. Anyway, personally, I feel a women reaches her peak of beauty when she has lived life, had some children, has some gray and dare I say, I love the look of crows feet and slight wrinkles on a woman's face, it shows that she has lived. And, I've always been attracted to older men. Gray hair in a beard or hair is very distinguished.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
:eek:fftopic: It's been years since I've seen it, but didn't they just randomly use bulldozers to scoop people up to make "Soylent Green?" Wasn't it "Logan's Run" where all people were killed over 30?

And "Soylent Green" had Edward G. Robinson. What a strange way to say good bye to the screen!

It's been a while since I saw it but I think the Bulldozers were just riot police for an overcrowded world. Old people would be made into the product, some voluntarily so.

Also, Logan's Run is apparently being remade and will be released next year. IMDB says the new age in the film is not 30, but 21. I think that says something about society in general's perception of age, no?

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
As long as I am living, as long as I am living. I'm stubborn as it is but I like to be fair, I'd imagine myself being much older and still having the same determination to get things done, whether my back in aching or not. The look? I'm still myself, whether I look it or not. My personality won't change, and that's good enough for me. :) As long as I feel I've achieved something through the years, age is not anything I should be concerned about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy