Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ISO 7 1/8 LO Homburg

hambone71

Practically Family
Good morning, Loungers!

I am in search of a nice homburg in 7 1/8, preferably long oval, but I can make regular oval work. I do not currently own one but I would like one specifically for a wedding in November. And I probably need one for other dressier occasions as well. For this dressy occasion, I’m looking at shades of grey or brown.

My preference would be a wider brim with moderate swooping. I’m not really looking for shorter brimmed homburgs, although I would not totally write them off.

This one is on fleabay and looks great to me and priced right. Just not my size. It’s an example of the proportions I’m after.

Thank you for your time!
IMG_5066.jpeg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
You know, I have a very nice 50s Dobbs homburg. I believe it's a 7 1/8 Dobbs 20. It is dark brown with a dark brown bow - very conservative - but if you are ever in Huntsville and care to give it a try, you are more than welcome to borrow it for the wedding. Or at least see if you like yourself in a homburg before purchasing one.

If you really like it, maybe we can make a deal but it's no bother at all if you want to borrow it.

The brim is 2.5 inches and the felt is pretty amazing. It's in storage but I will try to get some photos tomorrow and check the size if you are interested.

hambone71

Practically Family
You know, I have a very nice 50s Dobbs homburg. I believe it's a 7 1/8 Dobbs 20. It is dark brown with a dark brown bow - very conservative - but if you are ever in Huntsville and care to give it a try, you are more than welcome to borrow it for the wedding. Or at least see if you like yourself in a homburg before purchasing one.

If you really like it, maybe we can make a deal but it's no bother at all if you want to borrow it.

The brim is 2.5 inches and the felt is pretty amazing. It's in storage but I will try to get some photos tomorrow and check the size if you are interested.
Absolutely, my friend! If it’s not too much trouble to dig it out and send me some pics, I’d most most appreciative. Please do so only at your convenience. I’m in no hurry whatsoever. Sooner or later I’ll be back up that way and can give it a try.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Absolutely, my friend! If it’s not too much trouble to dig it out and send me some pics, I’d most most appreciative. Please do so only at your convenience. I’m in no hurry whatsoever. Sooner or later I’ll be back up that way and can give it a try.
I'm actually digging into storage hats tomorrow so it's perfect timing! Glad to post some photos and also hope the hat is a 7 1/8. I can't remember and that was purchased right at the time when i sized down.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Bad news Phil, the Dobbs homburg fits me perfectly and my head size is 22.15 inches. If you’re a size 7 1/8, then it will be too small for you.

All three of my homburgs are that size, so they will be a bit tight, but if you want to put one on your head just to see if you like how you look, then let me know if you’ll be around the Huntsville area.

I am excited to see what you do find, and sorry I couldn’t be any more help.

Your daughter getting married - boy that sounds exciting (and maybe just a little stressful on a couple of registers?).

hambone71

Practically Family
Bad news Phil, the Dobbs homburg fits me perfectly and my head size is 22.15 inches. If you’re a size 7 1/8, then it will be too small for you.

All three of my homburgs are that size, so they will be a bit tight, but if you want to put one on your head just to see if you like how you look, then let me know if you’ll be around the Huntsville area.

I am excited to see what you do find, and sorry I couldn’t be any more help.

Your daughter getting married - boy that sounds exciting (and maybe just a little stressful on a couple of registers?).
Hey, no problem! I appreciate the effort and gesture more than you know.

It's actually my niece who's getting married. Her twin brother is the one who married the Huntsville girl and moved up there.

Congrats again on that Homburg score yesterday! I look forward to seeing the hat in action!

hambone71

Practically Family
Be sure to watch Stefan @steur posts as he regularly shows off some wonderful brown hats.
Stefan posted one late last night in Homburg Nation that really catches my eye.

You know you have too many hats when you remember you forgot about one!!!

I do have a brown homburg I need to move to a new home if it fits your needs. It is a homburg but, with the heavy western styling, I've always thought of it as a Lords hat. It is a Milano brand I picked up from Daniele or Stefan a few years back.

View attachment 532872 View attachment 532873 View attachment 532874 View attachment 532875 View attachment 532876

Oh my! Now we're talkin'! That one catches my eye too. How wide is that brim with the curl? Initially, I was looking at hommies with a slightly wider brim but that one looks great. I'm a big fan of that front to back swooping of the brim. I bet it would pair well with a navy suit and brown shoes!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
This brim is on the short side but the curl and swoop make it look larger. Technically this is not a D'Orsay curl but it has similar characteristics with a shorter lip on the front and rear and a wider and heavier curl on the sides.

The binding and ribbon are brown and the felt has something of a rust red color.

20230716_181352.jpg 20230716_181408.jpg 20230716_181432.jpg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Hey, no problem! I appreciate the effort and gesture more than you know.

It's actually my niece who's getting married. Her twin brother is the one who married the Huntsville girl and moved up there.

Congrats again on that Homburg score yesterday! I look forward to seeing the hat in action!
Oh, a niece getting married means a lot less stress on you!

Is she marrying into a Twickenham family as well?

Tracking says the Stetson is out for delivery!

hambone71

Practically Family
Oh, a niece getting married means a lot less stress on you!

Is she marrying into a Twickenham family as well?

Tracking says the Stetson is out for delivery!
Sounds like you will be in Homburg Heaven today. Looking forward to pics.

My niece lives in Trussville, bordering the B’Ham city limits. Her fiancé is from North Carolina. They met while at Birmingham Southern. The wedding is in Tuscaloosa in November. My guess is they’ll remain in the B’Ham area. She just graduated from Cumberland School of Law and will most likely find work in that area.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Sounds like you will be in Homburg Heaven today. Looking forward to pics.

My niece lives in Trussville, bordering the B’Ham city limits. Her fiancé is from North Carolina. They met while at Birmingham Southern. The wedding is in Tuscaloosa in November. My guess is they’ll remain in the B’Ham area. She just graduated from Cumberland School of Law and will most likely find work in that area.
I’m watching the TV show “Suits” right now, so I believe every young lawyer is leading the most exciting life imaginable.

They don’t deliver my mail until 5ish, so it’s a waiting game….

hambone71

Practically Family
Actually, despite what the seller says, it is tagged a 7 1/4 and I’ve never found a vintage Stetson that was smaller than the tagged size so probably not worth the risk. But a nice looking hat.
All the same, I have that exact one in my watch list but haven't pulled the trigger because its a size up. There's one for me out there and I have a couple of options here on the lounge. Thanks for your help and keep me in mind if you spot one. Much appreciated, David!

hambone71

Practically Family
I’m watching the TV show “Suits” right now, so I believe every young lawyer is leading the most exciting life imaginable.

They don’t deliver my mail until 5ish, so it’s a waiting game….
So, did you get that Hommie in the mail? I’m excited to see it! The seller had it listed for a few weeks. Eventually, he dropped it by 50 bucks to the price you got it.

I’ve never watched Suits but here’s what I can tell you. My oldest brother is a judge. He works all day, comes home and changes clothes, we all meet at my dad’s, eat supper, and then watch a couple episodes of Gunsmoke. A lot of great hats in Gunsmoke!

My middle brother has two daughters who are lawyers; the one who just graduated, and her older sister who finished at Cumberland a couple years ago. The older one has a set of twin girls who just turned 1 on the 4th of July, so she’s not even working right now. But her husband is a lawyer too. They’re all homebodies lol.

The younger of the two sisters has a twin brother and he’s the one living in Twickenham. He’s not a lawyer but lives a much more adventurous life than any of us.

I’m sure their lives are nothing like the tv show. But I will have to check out Suits. Sounds pretty good.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
So, did you get that Hommie in the mail? I’m excited to see it! The seller had it listed for a few weeks. Eventually, he dropped it by 50 bucks to the price you got it.

I’ve never watched Suits but here’s what I can tell you. My oldest brother is a judge. He works all day, comes home and changes clothes, we all meet at my dad’s, eat supper, and then watch a couple episodes of Gunsmoke. A lot of great hats in Gunsmoke!

My middle brother has two daughters who are lawyers; the one who just graduated, and her older sister who finished at Cumberland a couple years ago. The older one has a set of twin girls who just turned 1 on the 4th of July, so she’s not even working right now. But her husband is a lawyer too. They’re all homebodies lol.

The younger of the two sisters has a twin brother and he’s the one living in Twickenham. He’s not a lawyer but lives a much more adventurous life than any of us.

I’m sure their lives are nothing like the tv show. But I will have to check out Suits. Sounds pretty good.
I did receive it last night and had hoped to take some nice photos today; however, I am at the mercy of my health right now and it demanded that I take things easy most of the day.

I did intend to go out during sunset and get some photos with it but then the storm hit (don’t know if you caught any of it?). As soon as I am able, I’ll post some photos that hopefully do this hat justice.

But for a preview, I have to say that it is probably the most perfect hat I have ever had in my hands. If you can find a “Royal Stetson Deluxe” homburg in your size, I recommend it.

It’s so perfect, I’m not even going to wear it.

“Suits” is good if you like legal dramas.

Your family sounds very intelligent - but most important is that you like each other, which it sounds like you do.

Last edited:

hambone71

Practically Family
I did receive it last night and had hoped to take some nice photos today; however, I am at the mercy of my health right now and it demanded that I take things easy most of the day.

I did intend to go out during sunset and get some photos with it but then the storm hit (don’t know if you caught any of it?). As soon as I am able, I’ll post some photos that hopefully do this hat justice.

But for a preview, I have to say that it is probably the most perfect hat I have ever had in my hands. If you can find a “Royal Stetson Deluxe” homburg in your size, I recommend it.

It’s so perfect, I’m not even going to wear it.

“Suits” is good if you like legal dramas.

Your family sounds very intelligent - but most important is that you like each other, which it sounds like you do.
We're getting the storm right now as I'm typing.

Prayers for your health, my friend. Take care of yourself, rest, and let God work! And yes, we are a close family.

I'll enjoy those photos when you feel better and post them up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner