Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"It isn't a @*$%> cowboy hat"

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep! Got that myself!

In the middle of Liverpool City Centre, of all places, from a couple of punk kids. I like to think one of them went off the next day and bought a fedora, they were so impressed, starting a while new trend on Merseyside!

Crazy ain't it!!???

-dixon cannon

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It's just a fact of life; Open Road fedoras are emblematic. Think LBJ and Andy Griffith ...

Other emblematic items that are seen by many as out-of-date, odd, or at least out-of-the-ordinary: monocles, top hats, bowler hats, pipes, cigarette holders, spats, shirts with round collars, spectator shoes, pince-nez glasses ....

docholliday55

Familiar Face
Twitch--I lived in Arizona for a time in the 60's and have traveled over a large part of the western United States as well as Canada and Europe and said what I believed and felt throughout my journeys. I still do like it or not.
doc

Pilgrim

One Too Many
If I get comments, I simply tell them it's a Stetson Open Road, the hat commonly worn by US Presidents.

That usually gives them enough to think about.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got it is a Costco. I was wearing my grey champ featherweight.
And yet I got a " 'ello govna' " from some kids while wearing my open road. odd...

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
jake_fink said:
Perhaps we should create our own restrictive images (or memes - thx BK:eusa_clap ) for the more annoying popular styles of attire so we can shoot first and not have to hear the comments at all. Talking about people so that they hear without directly addressing them is extremely rude, but also sometimes a lot of fun. :D

I referred to someone who'd had irritating hat comments in the past as "this Brady Bunch dude" because of his hair and his shirt, and the laughter seems to have cured him. Totally immature, but sooooo satisfying.

With people being so cruel and all, and so ill-informed hat wise, maybe drawing first blood is the only answer. ;)

I always liked this line from "True Lies" spoken by Arnold Shwarzenneger:

"Which one are you,...Beavis or Butthead?"
lol

deanglen

DOUGLAS said:
I often get the cowboy comment. The one I get the most is"You look like your going on a safari." I suppose I wear a lot of khaki and white. My response is always the same... It's a jungle out there.

Sense of humor. Bravo!

dean

Benny Holiday

jake_fink said:
Perhaps we should create our own restrictive images (or memes - thx BK:eusa_clap ) for the more annoying popular styles of attire so we can shoot first and not have to hear the comments at all. Talking about people so that they hear without directly addressing them is extremely rude, but also sometimes a lot of fun. :D

I referred to someone who'd had irritating hat comments in the past as "this Brady Bunch dude" because of his hair and his shirt, and the laughter seems to have cured him. Totally immature, but sooooo satisfying.

With people being so cruel and all, and so ill-informed hat wise, maybe drawing first blood is the only answer. ;)

Yeah, it's funny how when you turn the tables and then comment on the big mouth's attire, they get all hurt and sensitive. Unfortunately for the local population here, I used to play snooker regularly with a bunch of fun guys and we used to snipe (playfully) at each other constantly, trying to put each other off their game. Over the years, my wit got honed to a razor's edge, so anyone who tries to make an unsolicited detrimental comment about my garb ends up on the receiving end of scalding sarcasm. Offenders quickly learn that having their sartorial shortcomings lampooned in public is an unpleasant experience and tend to keep their comments to themselves thereafter.

Fedora

Vendor
I have had the cowboy comment many times over the years. Does not bother me though. Heck, there is nothing wrong with cowboys! The truth of the matter is, if it were not for western hats, the hat industry would be dead as a door nail. The cowboys have kept hats in vogue, and that is a good thing, whether you like that style of hat or not. Plus, back when I was a kid, all of my heroes were cowboys!! :) Fedora

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Fedora said:
I have had the cowboy comment many times over the years. Does not bother me though. Heck, there is nothing wrong with cowboys! The truth of the matter is, if it were not for western hats, the hat industry would be dead as a door nail. The cowboys have kept hats in vogue, and that is a good thing, whether you like that style of hat or not. Plus, back when I was a kid, all of my heroes were cowboys!! :) Fedora

Amen brother, Amen

Aerol

A-List Customer
cowboy hat

My fedora got called a cowboy hat last night at the White Sox-Tigers game. But the caller was 2 and her parents were Tigers fans, so what can you expect.

Steve

Practically Family
I think the unenlightened public sees it in three ways:

Wide Brim / Tall Crown / Both: Cowboy

Short Brim / Low Crown: Gangster

Bound Edge: Pimp

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
DOUGLAS said:
I often get the cowboy comment. The one I get the most is"You look like your going on a safari." I suppose I wear a lot of khaki and white. My response is always the same... It's a jungle out there.
Good comeback! That's the response I need! I wear a lot of khaki, too, so I get that quite a bit, even wearing a straw fedora!

Rick and BK, are you guys Purdue alumni? I spent some time in West Lafayette when I was at Ball State, and also while working on a project there. I really liked that town.

Rick Blaine

Mojave Jack said:
Rick and BK, are you guys Purdue alumni? I spent some time in West Lafayette when I was at Ball State, and also while working on a project there. I really liked that town.

... naw, my old Da' was briefly employed at P.U. in the very early 7o's
you'r right tho', as I recall a very likable little 'burg, all in all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass