Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"It Pays To Buy at Brooks Brothers"

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ShoreRoadLady said:
I didn't get that either. [huh]

If they're implying stuff is free, well, I've got those $400 oxfords on my list!

It's just rampant misuse of quotation marks as emphasis. I hate that. Seems it was more popular back then but it certainly is still around today.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
It pays to "Buy" eh? What are they implying? Do they actually want us to steal? Those quotation marks are leading me to believe they don't want us to buy at all!

Is it possible some people leased? Or took out a store loan? I know many people didn't buy their furniture, but rented it from a furniture man... and if you were late on your payments, the furniture man would make a visit to your house and you'd come home to find all your stuff on the floor!

Maybe there was some similar set up that people paid in installments through the store, so buy means to actually own rather than purchase?!
It's a stretch, I know :p

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Advertising copy is notoriously full of poor grammar and English. I just read one sample marketing letter that read "literally stealing from us!" Sigh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails