Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"it"

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Orson Welles

Matt already posted a picture, but Orson Welles was someone who had alot of "it". IT was once said that when Orson Welles entered a room, it felt like someone had sucked the air of it.
1938_Orson_Welles_radio.jpg

orson04a.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
lot's of people make a living by faking charisma and fooling people into thinking they have it. maybe 'charm' is a better word. 'charm' sounds more old fashioned and consequently is in much shorter supply these days. and i think it's impossible to fake charm.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
herringbonekid said:
lot's of people make a living by faking charisma and fooling people into thinking they have it. maybe 'charm' is a better word. 'charm' sounds more old fashioned and consequently is in much shorter supply these days. and i think it's impossible to fake charm.

I agree. I've always thought of charisma as something people cultivate to influence others, while charm is something that endears others to you.

Barry

Practically Family
thomas szasz

I posted about him once before...heard him speak twice. I'd say he fits in with Paisley's comments, for sure. Not because of clothes so much but because of his upcompromising adherence to his beliefs. This guy just exudes "it."

He certainly has a strong presence when he enters a room.

szasz.jpg

szaszwitkin.jpg

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
3MUGSINAMUGSHOT

Here are three 'gents' who most certainly didn't have 'it' - though at the time the photo was taken, I feel sure they were about to get it !lol lol lol

WaxieGordanHymiePincusandAlbertAron.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
herringbonekid said:

I think it's very possible to fake charm. Con artists do it all the time.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I believe 'it' can be an act since 'it' can be learned. True charisma is people who are 'other centered' not 'self centered'....A person can learn to turn on the charm at will, but if they are conceited, their vanity will eventually shine through and that is not attractive to anyone

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Funnily enough, so do actors ... Could "it" have been an act for some of these actors?

bk

I think it's very possible for some people to turn it on at will.

Turning it on for a performance was one topic of a dance class I took last year. The teachers said that dancers, when performing, need to exude energy, make some eye contact with the audience, smile, and have that gleam in their eye.

That isn't all there is to it to "it," but all that should certainly up the "it" quotient.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
While looking for guys who have 'it', I realized I needed to look no further than our own lounge. Here are a few of the guys who came to mind when thinking of 'it'
IMG_3738-vi.jpg

I'll start with who I know ;) MK is an extremely intelligent man yet makes anyone around him feel comfortable. He is very generous and an all around great guy.
Senator Jack: just look at his smile! From what I've heard of him, he naturally draws people to him and an abundance of charm

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I feel a big part of the "it" is being comfortable with who you are. Perhaps the multi-millions contributed but Howard had "it" too.
hh1.jpg

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Twitch said:
I feel a big part of the "it" is being comfortable with who you are.
agree, it's confidence...but over confidence when it turns into being just plain vain is probably the biggest turn off there is

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Did Howard have it?... perhaps... though by the time that picture above was taken I think he lost it and never got it back.

it's that comfort with self. Woody allen has that self comfort though it is his comfort with being insecure.

Sidney Poitier was brought to mind yesterday...

Another one who draws your attention even when he's just watching grass grow.
SidneyPoitier.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
I too would question if H.H. had IT. If part of the definition includes being comfortable with who you are and in your own skin, I would not think of Howard. The whole OCD thing takes IT away...
Two more fine actors who come to mind are
Benicio Del Toro
deltoro.jpg

Clive Owen
clive.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24