Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian brands hats

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Steve. I've been having a go at it with some 1500 grit sandpaper and that does improve it. Quite a nice little hat indeed.
Panizzas are fine hats and much underrated. Hope you can do some of your Steur magic Stefan and rescue another hat.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Found this one on Ebay Germany and ended up winning it before @Steinbockhase. Panizza hats can be a hit and miss affair and some of their later hats can show issues in sizing and finishing. Not this one; this is definitely a hit and a bullseye too.
Panizza Zeffiro in grey (called Marte on the label). Not as lightweight as I expected from a hat named after a wind (zephyr) with its 116 grams, but the shape and styling is really special. Bound brim at 6,5cm and crown 11cm at the center dent. The hand is superb and it dry-creases like nobody's business.
I'm going to need two posts for the pictures.

panizza zeff_01.jpg
panizza zeff_02.jpg
panizza zeff_03.jpg
panizza zeff_04.jpg
panizza zeff_05.jpg
panizza zeff_06.jpg
panizza zeff_07.jpg

Part II
It even has Dr ST punched into the sweatband. I'm not a Dr by a long shot, but if this sweat imprints it on my forehead, people may start to believe it.

"Protetto dalle tarme con mitin" means protected against moths with Mitin.
No shortage of labels inside this hat.
panizza zeff_08.jpg
panizza zeff_09.jpg
panizza zeff_10.jpg
panizza zeff_11.jpg
panizza zeff_12.jpg
panizza zeff_13.jpg
panizza zeff_14.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I had promised not to add new hats my collection, but a curiosity led me to acquire this Panizza, in the same time Steve showed a Mayser "Superbe" that is similar in color and shape
29by2o.jpg

Panizza Sportsman size 59
fx461l.jpg

The color is "Cognac" as per internal label
Sportsman etichetta carta.jpg
The felt has a peachy finish and is very soft
16ii4yc.jpg

I really love this color of which I have another Panizza and the curiosity to see its twin live was great
2uo2ogl.jpg

I have another "Sportsman" model that speaks the same language as this one, short brim and velvety felt surface. The other is in black velvet with cord and very short brim
Sportsman Sportsman.jpg
I believe it was one of Panizza's last marketing moves to adapt to the changed fashion style.
You can see it from the shape of this hat, which is a cross between a homburg and a coachman's hat
if2w5x.jpg

The quality is great in construction and materials
Sportsman Panizza interno.jpg
So here it is the Panizza Sportsman, a very hybrid hat in a fantastic color and finish

I had promised not to add new hats my collection, but a curiosity led me to acquire this Panizza, in the same time Steve showed a Mayser "Superbe" that is similar in color and shape
29by2o.jpg

Panizza Sportsman size 59
fx461l.jpg

The color is "Cognac" as per internal label
View attachment 162873
The felt has a peachy finish and is very soft
16ii4yc.jpg

I really love this color of which I have another Panizza and the curiosity to see its twin live was great
2uo2ogl.jpg

I have another "Sportsman" model that speaks the same language as this one, short brim and velvety felt surface. The other is in black velvet with cord and very short brim
View attachment 162874
I believe it was one of Panizza's last marketing moves to adapt to the changed fashion style.
You can see it from the shape of this hat, which is a cross between a homburg and a coachman's hat
if2w5x.jpg

The quality is great in construction and materials
View attachment 162875
So here it is the Panizza Sportsman, a very hybrid hat in a fantastic color and finish
It happens to us all, Daniele, despite our best intentions. Lovely colour and good looking felt.

Gazman G.

New in Town
Bought this recently it's a 60s Stetson Turin. Apparently made in Italy.

Attachments

• IMG_20190402_121310.jpg
    IMG_20190402_121310.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 455
  • IMG_20190402_121641.jpg
    IMG_20190402_121641.jpg
    939.7 KB · Views: 569
  • Screenshot_2019-04-02-12-00-47.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-02-12-00-47.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Bought this recently it's a 60s Stetson Turin. Apparently made in Italy.
As carouselvic stated, your hat was made in Australia. It is clearly written under Stetson.
In Italy Panizza made Knox and Dobbs in the seventies, but not the Stetson.
The Stetson "Turin" has a shape which resembles some Italian models of the seventy: Panizza above all s-l200(9).jpg s-l500.jpg

Didn't know what to expect with this one, but it turned out to be a Cervo. Fedora in black, size 57 with the overwelt brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Fairly stiff felt with at probably part woolcontent. Styling is very nice though. Too large for me unfortunately.

cervo nero_01.jpg
cervo nero_02.jpg
cervo nero_03.jpg
cervo nero_04.jpg
cervo nero_06.jpg
cervo nero_07.jpg
cervo nero_08.jpg
cervo nero_09.jpg
cervo nero_10.jpg
cervo nero_11.jpg

Panizza Foulard in steel grey (acciaio). Size 58 with the raw edge brim at 6,5 cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Still needs some steaming and has been at the receiving end of the pecking order by the looks of it (with some minor mothing spots here and there), but still the quality shines through.
panizza-foulard_01-jpg.164699
panizza-foulard_02-jpg.164700
panizza-foulard_03-jpg.164701
panizza-foulard_04-jpg.164702
panizza-foulard_06-jpg.164703
panizza-foulard_07-jpg.164704
panizza-foulard_09-jpg.164705
panizza-foulard_12-jpg.164707
panizza-foulard_13-jpg.164708
panizza-foulard_08-jpg.164709

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Black Homburg: Rival - Gerardo Riva & C. - Monza - never heard of it
MARCA DEPOSITATA on the liner - MARQUE DEPOSÉ (French!) on the sweatband
1950's (?) - sold in Aachen (Germany) by H. Wisgens - possibly a mix of fur and wool felt

36574418nu.jpg
Recently, between the end of December 2018 and January 2019, an exhibition dedicated to the town's headwear was held in Monza, probably the largest production center of hats in Italy, especially in wool, until the sixties. I have a catalog of the exhibition from which I have drawn a single information on the Rival hat factory: which existed in 1820 for the dating of a low top silk hat. In the list of the Monza hats producers it was counted in 1911 among the last places as workers. I have not found anything else, except that it is still active.
I like the Monza hats because, most of the time, they are really well finished and the wool felt is superb.

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Grazie, Daniele, per la tua ricerca!
Too bad there is so little information about RIVAL.

So it's really pure wool felt?
But you're right: the felt is really excellent.
That's why I thought it could be a mixture.

Do you also have an idea for the time of production?

Black Homburg: Rival - Gerardo Riva & C. - Monza - never heard of it
MARCA DEPOSITATA on the liner - MARQUE DEPOSÉ (French!) on the sweatband
1950's (?) - sold in Aachen (Germany) by H. Wisgens - possibly a mix of fur and wool felt

36574418nu.jpg

36574421gg.jpg

36574422ud.jpg

36574423or.jpg

36574448az.jpg

36574450no.jpg

36574452wv.jpg

36574455ks.jpg

36574459yd.jpg
Very nice find, Matt. Always good to see a new, or at least rarely seen, brand here. And they could do awesome things with wool felt.

Recently, between the end of December 2018 and January 2019, an exhibition dedicated to the town's headwear was held in Monza, probably the largest production center of hats in Italy, especially in wool, until the sixties. I have a catalog of the exhibition from which I have drawn a single information on the Rival hat factory: which existed in 1820 for the dating of a low top silk hat. In the list of the Monza hats producers it was counted in 1911 among the last places as workers. I have not found anything else, except that it is still active.
I like the Monza hats because, most of the time, they are really well finished and the wool felt is superb.
The components / construction remind me of Società Anonima Cappellificio Monzese. I couldn't find Gerado Riva & C. Monza in Kelly's Directory Of Merchants, Manufacturers And Shippers, 1963 & 1964, Volume 2, Europe.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/italian-brands-hats.60339/page-2#post-1776596

I did find a Pellizzoni and Riva in Kelly's Directory Of Merchants, Manufacturers And Shippers, 1925, Italian Hat Manufacturers.

11959632195_876126374e.jpg

https://germanaustrianhats.invision...-and-shippers-1925-italian-hat-manufacturers/

I guess it's possible Gerado Riva & C. Monza lasted into the 1950s or just not listed in the Kelly's Directory Of Merchants, Manufacturers And Shippers 1963/1964. Also could have been made by Società Anonima Cappellificio Monzese under Gerado Riva & C. Monza trademark.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
The components / construction remind me of Società Anonima Cappellificio Monzese. I couldn't find Gerado Riva & C. Monza in Kelly's Directory Of Merchants, Manufacturers And Shippers, 1963 & 1964, Volume 2, Europe.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/italian-brands-hats.60339/page-2#post-1776596

I did find a Pellizzoni and Riva in Kelly's Directory Of Merchants, Manufacturers And Shippers, 1925, Italian Hat Manufacturers.

11959632195_876126374e.jpg

https://germanaustrianhats.invision...-and-shippers-1925-italian-hat-manufacturers/

I guess it's possible Gerado Riva & C. Monza lasted into the 1950s or just not listed in the Kelly's Directory Of Merchants, Manufacturers And Shippers 1963/1964. Also could have been made by Società Anonima Cappellificio Monzese under Gerado Riva & C. Monza trademark.
Steve, it's very likely you are right, Often in the hats made in Monza it is difficult to recognize the manufacturer. The components used are very similar, as are the shapes and trademarks used (a myriad), so it is difficult to go back to who actually built the hat, the quality remains constant in those, few, that I had in my hands, whether they are of wool or fur

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner