Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian brands hats

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Daniele, Thanks! I really like the Type Face on "Selecta". The use of the word "Gran" tends to make me think it might be Italian but that could be market related. I seem to recall I had a couple of hats with the "Record" mark but probably just a time period marking. Are there any markings on the inside of the Sweatband?

The Eagle on the liner automatically made me think German. Could Daniele's hat be linked to this pre-war Harald I have, which looks quite similar.

This is a really great hat, Daniele!
If it was my size I would rip it out of your hands...

When I saw it, I immediately thought of a French manufacture - but only a gut feeling!
Then I looked again more closely at the Details I noticed the very special ribbon treatment
with the great bow, that reminded me of the French Esperazano hat.
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/french-hats-and-makers.36690/page-37#post-2818511

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Ciao Steve,
inside the sweatband there rea four numbers stamped with blue ink: 3286. Nothing else
The lining seems to be made with short of material, but also it seems degraded by time.

Ciao Steve,
the eagle was a simbol used all throughout Europe and from the manufacturer he hat seems more made here, but it is only my guess

Ciao Matthias,
the hat, like the one marked "Velour" size 58 of the same Mantova find, have the look, shape and felt typical of the twenties or thirties as well as the manufacture like most of the European hats of that period. The bow is made in a very accurate way and very few I have seen so perfect in hats of those years. Looking at it and comparing it with other Italian hats of the period it looks like a hat made in the Cervo valley, that is, by someone in the sphere of Barbisio, Cappellificio Cervo or Grosso Valtz & CIA. The Italian manufacturers were specialized in marking their hats with convenient names, due to the unbridled commercial competition.
However it remains a high quality hat, too small for most of us

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
For the series "Beautiful and impossible" this is the chapter one"
cambiaghi_20_1-2-jpg.371986

In the second wave of hats from Mantua and surroundings, not as high as the first, but very interesting, there are candidates for the category mentioned above.
cambiaghi-20-3-jpg.371987
Giuseppe Cambiaghi - Monza size 54 or 3 1/2 France scale and 6 3/4in the USA.
cambiaghi-20-interno-totale-jpg.371988

Probably built in the early years of the last century as per details and interior.
cambiaghi-20-5-jpg.371989

The felt is almost exclusively woven in wool for a final effect of heather with blue and gray tones.
cambiaghi-20-6-jpg.371990

The shape is imposing and the bow is on the back, the brims are over-stitched.
cambiaghi-20-8-jpg.371991

It arrived in good condition and, luckily for us collectors, it remained on the shelves of some shops near Mantua.

In the lining there is the mark of Giuseppe Cambiaghi that mentions the "Grand Prix" won and the newest is from 1902, so that is an indication of a possible construction.

The measurements are as follows: the brims are 7cm, the ribbon, still with the basting, is 5cm and the crown, at the lowest point, is 12cm.
cambiaghi-20-9-jpg.371997

On the one hand I am happy to have found it, on the other I regret it is so small, but alas there are others that go to reinforce the series of "Beautiful and impossible"

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Wow, what a gem Daniele!!! Mixed feelings though seeing these old beauties in that size, close but not quite...
I agree with you Panos.
"Beautiful and impossible" is an open chapter especially with the hats found in Mantua and its surroundings, plus a few others that I bought blindly. What is certain is that small sizes cause bad thoughts and at the same time preserve the desire to sell them. With this "Cambiaghi" there are six beautiful, rare hats and "useless" size 54 - 55 in my collection.
Others will come ...:rolleyes:

In the second wave of hats from Mantua and surroundings, not as high as the first, but very interesting, there are candidates for the category mentioned above.

Probably built in the early years of the last century as per details and interior.

The felt is almost exclusively woven in wool for a final effect of heather with blue and gray tones.

It arrived in good condition and, luckily for us collectors, it remained on the shelves of some shops near Mantua.

In the lining there is the mark of Giuseppe Cambiaghi that mentions the "Grand Prix" won and the newest is from 1902, so that is an indication of a possible construction.

The measurements are as follows: the brims are 7cm, the ribbon, still with the basting, is 5cm and the crown, at the lowest point, is 12cm.

On the one hand I am happy to have found it, on the other I regret it is so small, but alas there are others that go to reinforce the series of "Beautiful and impossible"
That has got to be just about the perfect felt. What a hat! Makes me want to go down to my lair and make evil plans to upsize it to fit me!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
For the series "Beautiful and impossible" this is the second chapter"
valtz-7-jpg.372709

The second wave of hats from Mantua and surroundings, contains beautiful and impossible and some curiosities
valtz-6-jpg.372710

John Valtz - Andorno - Biella size 54 or 3 1/2 France scale and 6 3/4in the USA, even if it is not indicated the internal dimension are the same of a 54 cm.
valtz-interno-totale-jpg.372711

The hat factory that built this beauty is in the same area (Valle del Cervo), about fifteen kilometers from Sagliano, home of Barbisio and Cappellificio Cervo. It had the trademark registration in 1931 as Gosso Valtz and Co. but had been operating since the end of the nineteenth century.
valtz-4-jpg.372712

This hat is signed only by one of the partners, I believe from the manufacture in the 1950s.

The paper label, too dry, is present and tells us that the quality is "Osiris" and the color "Muflone".
valtz-2-jpg.372713

The felt is superb in color and short fur finish. It is unlined

In my collection I have only one Grosso Valtz hat and it is a fantastic hat, but they are very scarce.
It arrived in new conditions.
The measurements are as follows: the raw brims are 6.5cm, the low ribbon, is 2cm and the crown, at the lowest point, is 10.5cm.
valtz-6-jpg.372717

The series of "Beautiful and impossible" goes on...

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This is the curiosity in the discovery of Mantua
cb-1-jpg.372718

I recognize my total ignorance for western or cowboy hats as they were called in Italy when I was a boy

so pardon me for my not so accurate description.
cb-2-jpg.372719

This is a product of one of the hatters, Carlo Sala, of Monza who have remained active almost to the present day.
Probably made in the Sixties or Seventies, it is a hat that has the Italian interpretation of the western hat.
cb-3-jpg.372720

Super Sala size 57 centimeters or 7 1/8 in the USA.
cb-6-jpg.372725

Felt is thick, wrinkled and sturdy, mostly made of wool. It can be molded with a good dose of steam, keeps its shape without problems and seems made to be subjected to any weather.
cb-interno-totale-jpg.372722

The lining is extremely neat and features the colors of a fancy woven felt ribbon.

The hat is signed "St Charly's" :rolleyes:
The measurements are as follows: the raw brim is 8cm, the ribbon is 2cm and the crown at its minimum point is 11cm.
cb-7-jpg.372724
The hat had this shape despite being inserted in another and after a brushing here it is to ride in the Po Valley:) or in a more appropriate western landscape

PanosChris

Practically Family
valtz-7-jpg.372709

The second wave of hats from Mantua and surroundings, contains beautiful and impossible and some curiosities
valtz-6-jpg.372710

John Valtz - Andorno - Biella size 54 or 3 1/2 France scale and 6 3/4in the USA, even if it is not indicated the internal dimension are the same of a 54 cm.

The hat factory that built this beauty is in the same area (Valle del Cervo), about fifteen kilometers from Sagliano, home of Barbisio and Cappellificio Cervo. It had the trademark registration in 1931 as Gosso Valtz and Co. but had been operating since the end of the nineteenth century.
valtz-4-jpg.372712

This hat is signed only by one of the partners, I believe from the manufacture in the 1950s.

The paper label, too dry, is present and tells us that the quality is "Osiris" and the color "Muflone".
valtz-2-jpg.372713

In my collection I have only one Grosso Valtz hat and it is a fantastic hat, but they are very scarce.
The measurements are as follows: the raw brims are 6.5cm, the low ribbon, is 2cm and the crown, at the lowest point, is 10.5cm.
valtz-6-jpg.372717

It's almost painful, the only way to avoid this is to forget about the size and admire them as a museum piece...regardless, phenomenal hats and finds Daniele!

Daniele, This is a real beauty! The Felt has such a great look. Also classic Form.

valtz-7-jpg.372709

valtz-6-jpg.372710

valtz-4-jpg.372712

valtz-2-jpg.372713

valtz-6-jpg.372717

Daniele, Another great find! Great Color and Finish. Also like the Band color / width. I remember your fantastic early Grosso Valtz.

valtz-7-jpg.372709

valtz-6-jpg.372710

valtz-4-jpg.372712

valtz-2-jpg.372713

valtz-6-jpg.372717

Now that is one fabulous hat.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I love everything about this one Daniele. Thanks for sharing!

It's almost painful, the only way to avoid this is to forget about the size and admire them as a museum piece...regardless, phenomenal hats and finds Daniele!

Daniele, This is a real beauty! The Felt has such a great look. Also classic Form.

Daniele, Another great find! Great Color and Finish. Also like the Band color / width. I remember your fantastic early Grosso Valtz.

Now that is one fabulous hat.

Thanks Bob. I have the illusion for a couple of minutes it was wearable :)
Panos the museum is far to come, for now they are sleeping in a box
Steve both are a sort of excellent/bad find. They are rare and beautiful, but unwearable at all, a sad condition
Stefan, I afree with some upsetting :rolleyes:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Near Ghiffa, exactly 7 kilometers to the south, on the shores of Lake Maggiore, the "Albertini" was founded in 1817, probably the oldest Italian hat factory in modern times.
albertini-bruciato-6-jpg.373597
Albertini size 57cm and 7 1/8 in US.
albertini-bruciato-1-jpg.373598
All the indications on the sweatband and on the paper label have been lost due to poor conservation, only the felt and the lining have arrived intact to the present day.
albertini-bruciato-interno-totale-jpg.373599

The felt is a deep brown color with a slightly contrasting band and finished with a short and shiny fur
albertini-bruciato-4-bis-jpg.373600
The sweatband was replaced by by Fleur to be worn again.
albertini-bruciato-3-jpg.373602

The measurements of this excellent hat: the raw brims are at 5.5 cm. the ribbon is 3.2cm high and the crown height at its lowest point is 10.5cm.
albertini-bruciato-5-jpg.373603
This hat has never been worn and has arrived in excellent condition until now to my delight as a collector.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112