Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian brands hats

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I love those pleated liners!
Doug, the hat is done in impeccable fashion, is a product comparable to the Italian brand of high end.
The lining is one of the plus, but it is above all the felt to give meaning to this hat even if it belongs to a time when the brim had almost completely disappeared :rolleyes:
It is as significant as a "tertiary" producing hats of its own in so high quality.
Probably one of the last beaches to keep afloat in a downhill market.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Here is a series of window signs that adorned the display of hats in an Italian store in the heyday of hats
ridds4.jpg

First of all the rarest. Grosso Valtz & C., in bakelite stamped, producer of hats from the Cervo valley, located in Andorno Micca - Biella, two kilometers south of Barbisio and Cappellificio Cervo historical facilities.
I had two hats from this manufacturer, one is here in my collection another one in Germany from Manfred
Two historic showcase signs of Panizza on Lake Maggiore
2yjsnj7.jpg

Both take the form of advertising in newspapers in the 1930s of Panizza production, one is cardboard and Bakelite, the stamps, on the back have a date 2 May 1912
1417801.jpg

This one made in cardboard , wood and Bakelite has a stmps with date, not clearly readable, 1920
For each showcase sign, the hat brand is the same ;)

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Vanzina Extra Extra. Size 5 or 7 1/8 in US. EU 57 centimeters
10fru4k.jpg

Color "Uranio" with ribbon "Ella" with some "fancy" finish to match the color of the felt
2iuz82a.jpg

The luster heather felt is dark grey finished short hair with a hint of white
2ag27ao.jpg

The brim, oversewn are 5 cm. and the low point crown is 11 centimeters
23uufm8.jpg

Made probably in the 1960s for Camere - Genova hats shop, now closed. It is new, never worn
It has white lining with the Vanzina brand.
htzn04.jpg

Felt is medium and malleable
28taqux.jpg

It is quite sure it was made after the Borsalino bought Vanzina and the production was very close to an high standard
This Vanzina "Uranio" is too tight for my head, so if you have the right size to wear it let me know with a PM

This one was a while in the making. Daniele kindly threw this one in on one of our hat exchanges. He didn't expect it amount to much I guess because he dubbed it "Rotto" (meaning broken). The hat doesn't have any other brand label although the liner states "Lavorazione speciale a mano" (specially hand made). When it arrived I thought it was an odd, funny, tapered and small looking hat. Why save it then? Well: it was a heather felt too and heathers are a bit special.
So I sent it off to Fleur de Huu of Penumbra Hat co along with the others, to see what could be done. Here's what it looked like:

rotto_14.jpg
rotto_13.jpg
rotto_15.jpg
rotto_16.jpg

We decided to reblock it, replace the sweatband and ribbon (obviously) and replace the liner (but save the crown patch). In part II you can see what it looks like now. I still call it Rotto, but it has come into its own and wears the name with pride.

Part II
The Rotto in its new form. Ugly duckling becomes beautiful swan. It was actually a size 58 once but fits my 56 size perfectly. Brim at 5,5cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. Beautiful grey heather felt and a lovely touch is the bow treatment with the keeper recreated the same as the original one. Pleated liner and frayed bow because the hat just had that vintage feel about it.

rotto_01.jpg
rotto_02.jpg
rotto_03.jpg
rotto_04.jpg
rotto_05.jpg
rotto_06.jpg
rotto_08.jpg
rotto_09.jpg
rotto_10.jpg
rotto_11.jpg

Stefan, I really like this one. Again great restoration work.
Stefan, I was sure it had life inside. Now I'm happy to see it in a new version. Brava Fleur and Stefan to believe in a "new hat"

Inviato dal mio M5 Note utilizzando Tapatalk
Steve, Daniele, thanks! It was great to see a tired little hat come back to life completely. Very much worth saving.

A Rotto update. I was browsing Etsy for hats and came across this hat (so not mine) which would suggest the Rotto could actually have a pedigree: Borsalino no less.
lavo5.jpg
lavo4.jpg
lavo1.jpg
lavo2.jpg
lavo3.jpg

No definitive proof of course, but the hats do look very similar. I'll award myself a few bonuspoints just in case anyway...

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
No definitive proof of course, but the hats do look very similar. I'll award myself a few bonuspoints just in case anyway...
Stefan, it was and is my opinion too. I don't remember if I mentioned it in my message when I introduced to you the "Rotto=broken" hat. The felt is very Borsalino in the color and softness, even the ribbon indicated the Alessandria factory as place of production. The new ribbon in color and shape is, by the way, better then the original. Compliments for the choice and renovation!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Part II
The Rotto in its new form. Ugly duckling becomes beautiful swan. It was actually a size 58 once but fits my 56 size perfectly. Brim at 5,5cm and crown 10cm at the pinch. Beautiful grey heather felt and a lovely touch is the bow treatment with the keeper recreated the same as the original one. Pleated liner and frayed bow because the hat just had that vintage feel about

Great hat and Work Stefan. Love the felt color and ribbon!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Stefan, it was and is my opinion too. I don't remember if I mentioned it in my message when I introduced to you the "Rotto=broken" hat. The felt is very Borsalino in the color and softness, even the ribbon indicated the Alessandria factory as place of production. The new ribbon in color and shape is, by the way, better then the original. Compliments for the choice and renovation!
Thank you, Daniele; both for the praise and sending it over to me in the first place. The quality of the felt and the fact that it is a heather made it worth saving. And seeing the quality confirmed makes it even better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy