Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's Spring. Show your Straw hats if you have 'em

Sweatbandjo

Familiar Face
Oh YES GHT! An MG YA sedan if I’m not mistaken? With suicide front doors and the right wheels too - the sedans don’t look right with wire wheels.
What an ensemble, magnifique! My mid-life crisis was one of the very few genuine, original MGB GT V8 missiles. It was a ghastly bile yellow but went like a rocket, stripped gearboxes and, at over 120 mph, the bodywork and notably the doors bulged out causing an impressive shrieking noise to set off the low roar of the V8. That car demanded the right outfit too... and very nearly a bespoke shroud on the first evening that I drove it, my that was a close call.
I very much prefer your ensemble, what wonderful colours, almost good enough to eat!
This YA story might interest you. http://www.mgccyregister.co.uk/restorations/ya-convertible/

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There seems to be quite a cult following for the MGB, so many Loungers either had one, or coveted one.
You are right about the Y-Type, except the final run of just 1301 cars were know as the YB, of which one is mine.
I won't go into the technical differences here, but I will say thanks for your kind remarks. Almost as good as a little lady last Sunday.
We were crawling along on a busy duel carriageway. One of those tank like Audi SUV's draws level. Little miss 10 year old leans out of the window and said: "Mister, your car is so cool."

Hello
I hope you realized what is really is. It was meant as a humorous/joke post/description of my hat, definitely not to compare to the quality hats I see. It was a 5.99 hat at our CO-OP and although I like the sun shade it got too bright so I covered it up.

Ah yes, the ultra-mega Fino Fino Fino! Beautiful! The craftsmanship really shows. As I recall, all hand woven by blind nuns sequestered from birth in a monastery high in the Andes. You can see the 80,000 hours of handwork in every weave. Gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There seems to be quite a cult following for the MGB, so many Loungers either had one, or coveted one.
You are right about the Y-Type, except the final run of just 1301 cars were know as the YB, of which one is mine.
I won't go into the technical differences here, but I will say thanks for your kind remarks. Almost as good as a little lady last Sunday.
We were crawling along on a busy duel carriageway. One of those tank like Audi SUV's draws level. Little miss 10 year old leans out of the window and said: "Mister, your car is so cool."

That 10 year old’s reaction gives me hope for the future! Why don’t they build beautiful cars anymore? Thank you for sharing yours.

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Not sure about this one, but worth a look see.
View attachment 119561
UPF 50+

Handwoven in Guatemala; Finished in the USA

Celebrate summer the right way!

The Tear Drop Fedora Hat by SunBody is an impressive and modern style fedora. This hand-crafted hat is carefully made with the famous palm leaves from Guatemala. Enjoy your day in your SunBody hat while looking up at the blue skies, smelling the fresh air and relaxing!

Approx.
4 1/2" Crown
3" Brim

Made of:
100% Guatemalan Palm Leaf Straw

Finished in the USA
UPF 50+ Sun Protection Rating
Cotton Sweatband
Leather Hat Band
Unlined
View attachment 119562
View attachment 119563
This hat looks much better on you than it does in the other pictures.

RJR

Hat-Stetson 10x 3.jpg
Stetson 10X.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Hello
I hope everyone realized this was all in good humor. It was meant as a humorous/joke post/description of my hat, definitely not to compare to the quality hats I see. It was a 5.99 hat at our CO-OP and although I like the sun shade it got too bright so I covered it up.
I'm glad you explained the visor cover, because my first thought was, "Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having one?" :D I see nothing wrong with inexpensive hats as long as they're not a complete waste of money and suit the wearer's wants and needs, even if they only survive an outing or three. And they're certainly a better alternative to damaging or losing a more expensive hat. ;)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We gatecrashed an MG event today. There's a wonderful restaurant within a hotel near the coast at a place called Milford-on-Sea. When we got to the hotel, a couple of fellows in high-viz vests were pointing us to a field at the rear of the hotel. When I asked what that was all about is when I learned that hotel was the finishing point of a classic MG run. Not wishing to encroach on the MG club's afternoon activities, I parked in the main car park and went off to the restaurant for our Sunday lunch.

At the end of our meal the waiter invited us to take coffee in the grounds of their magnificent formal gardens, it was such a glorious day, how could we refuse? Outside, there was quite a crowd around our car, I'm sure it will feature somewhere on social media. After finishing our coffee and paying the bill we wandered up to the field. A row of MGB GT V8's looked superb and the one's with chromium plated wire wheels really shone in the sunshine to great effect. "You should have worn your MG shirt," Tina remarked. Perhaps so, but just as our MG got much attention so did the rather well made combination of my Aloha shirt that Tina made coupled with the wide brimmed sun hat courtesy of Esther.
hats 059.JPG
mgb.JPG

DaveSobel

New in Town
And a boater I just purchased off ebay. Second one I’ve owned, and very nice. A couple cracks in the straw, but I was abke to fix the one in the brim, and the other is nearly invisible. It has a stiff net liner, which is the first I’ve ever seen. There’s a sticker under the sweatband with 1919 on it.

Attachments

• E5B1BBEB-6458-4298-A1D9-7A55C080F341.jpeg
    E5B1BBEB-6458-4298-A1D9-7A55C080F341.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 252

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto