Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's Spring. Show your Straw hats if you have 'em

Surely called the "Untz" Festival because that's the sound of those monotonous synthesized drum beats: Untz, untz, untz, untz, untz, untz, untz, untz, untz, untz, untz, untz, untz, untz, untz, untz... :D

You're a better man than I am Brent--they'd have to pay me in the high six figures before I'd attend a techno music anything.

I had to confirm they were in compliance with their permit. If I wasn’t required to go I wouldn’t have gone. You’re spot-on for how it got its name “untz.” I honestly don’t think anyone who lives within 50 miles is in attendance, but the organizers like the venue and the county likes the revenue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Today was probably the best day for sunshine that we have had this year. It was definitely a good day for my latest hand made shirt, I teamed it with the Gamboa. First time I've worn a straw in quite a while. It really started to feel like spring.
white woodie 003.JPG

(Chases Brent around with a stick, trying to knock his straw hat off and start a riot)

Having just finished Dead Wake, an historical accounting of the events surrounding the sinking of the Lusitania, written by Erik Larson, I've been looking for a place to transcribe the passage below. It describes the situation in NYC in late April 1915 as passengers prepared to board the ill-fated ship for its Atlantic voyage.

Throughout the week before departure, passengers who lived in New York started packing in earnest, while the many who came from elsewhere began arriving in the city by train, ferry, and automobile. They found a city steaming with heat - 91 degres on Tuesday, April 27, with four days yet to go until "Straw Hat Day," Saturday, May 1, when a man could at last break out his summer hats. Men followed this rule. A Times reporter did an impromptu visual survey of Broadway and spotted only two straw hats. "Thousands of sweltering, uncomfortable men plodding along with their winter headgear at all angles on their uncomfortable heads or carried in their hot, moist hands."

This is the third such book I've read by Erik Larson, after Devil in White City and In the Garden of the Beasts. I highly recommend them.

HatCheckMan

New in Town
Enjoyed the snippet from Dead Wake! I’ve heard of-straw season-but I never knew people adhered to such an exact date! I’m glad that’s all in the past, because it’s April 5th and 90 degrees here in Orlando! Got the straws out already!!

...I’ve heard of-straw season-but I never knew people adhered to such an exact date! I’m glad that’s all in the past, because it’s April 5th and 90 degrees here in Orlando! Got the straws out already!!
Some here still adhere to the old rules that dictate when we're supposed to wear or not wear certain items of clothing. But there are those of us for whom modern climate change overrides those obsolete and arbitrary control freak edicts, and we decide for ourselves when the weather is too warm for fur felt hats. So, that said, here's my newest and currently favoritest straw hat, a Jaxon "Golden Hill" Raffia:

FO5iCXY.jpg

Lightweight and comfortable, the brim doesn't provide much sun protection (especially when I choose to wear it pushed back as I have in the photos) but I have other hats for that.

Enjoyed the snippet from Dead Wake! I’ve heard of-straw season-but I never knew people adhered to such an exact date! I’m glad that’s all in the past, because it’s April 5th and 90 degrees here in Orlando! Got the straws out already!!

It was really nothing more than a retailing ploy similar to not wearing white after Memorial Day or whatever. I'm sure it wasn't quite so strict in the South. I wear felt all year because I like it better than straw (though I have some I wear quite a bit).

It was really nothing more than a retailing ploy similar to not wearing white after Memorial Day or whatever. I'm sure it wasn't quite so strict in the South. I wear felt all year because I like it better than straw (though I have some I wear quite a bit).
Oh, right. It's the same as the straw hat manufacturers decades ago creating the myth that felt hats cause baldness in an effort to sell more straw hats. To this day some still believe felt hats cause or contribute to baldness even though there's absolutely no medical proof to support this.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Oh, right. It's the same as the straw hat manufacturers decades ago creating the myth that felt hats cause baldness in an effort to sell more straw hats. To this day some still believe felt hats cause or contribute to baldness even though there's absolutely no medical proof to support this.
That fallacy reached our shores too. My grandfather was a police officer, he started losing his hair round about his mid forties. He had heard that the constant wearing of his police helmet contributed to his hair loss. Grandmother might have believed the myth too, she it was who explained to me. when I was an impressionable schoolboy, about her husband's hair loss.

What might just cause hair loss, and just about everything else, is picking up the tab for this $100,000 straw hat.

Last edited:

Well, Mr. Barnum was onto something. According to my wife, hair genes are passed down through the mother. Don't ask me for a citation, please.

Veering dangerously close to the main topic of this thread, Ladies and Gentlemen I now present a Toyo straw Pork Pie from Hats in the Belfry's "Malone" line:

2qcphJY.jpg

4" crown with a Diamond Crease, 2" brim, in a shade of brown they've dubbed "Chocolate" (probably because the color they call "Brown" looks like something you might find in a baby's used diaper), and nicely ventilated without a liner. Lightweight and comfortable, this is the first hat I've obtained in a long time that I haven't felt the need to modify in some way.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Veering dangerously close to the main topic of this thread, Ladies and Gentlemen I now present a Toyo straw Pork Pie from Hats in the Belfry's "Malone" line:

2qcphJY.jpg

4" crown with a Diamond Crease, 2" brim, in a shade of brown they've dubbed "Chocolate" (probably because the color they call "Brown" looks like something you might find in a baby's used diaper)
Well "chocolate," will always win over. Can you imagine being at the meeting of the marketing department?

"In essence we thought that the public would be impressed if we used an honest description instead of something more metaphoric. Hence forth the colour will be known as: "Baby-shit-brown."

The hat looks great, it suits you too, just the thing in that glorious west coast sunshine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto