Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've made a decision...

vintageTink

One Too Many
Although wigs are horrific hot icky things I'd never wish on anybody... ;) I bet in the winter they are nice though...

I've got about a quarter of an inch of hair right now, and I think it's growing about a quarter inch a month. That makes me ecstatic- I don't care if it's slow or fast, thin or thick, it's there.

To the OP: have you tried doing victory rolls wrapping your hair around something like a hair clip? That's the only way I've ever been able to do victory rolls with straight hair.
Do you wear a lace wig? Or a medical grade silicone?

What about using those hair sponges? Could you victory roll around those?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My "good" health insurance (seriously, we have pretty decent health insurance) paid $10 towards a wig, the cost was I think about $150. I got one of the cheapest one's available from a prosthetic shop. I wouldn't have purchased one at all, except for the fact that I had to attend my graduation and I wanted "hair" for that. The wig I did buy is nice... and they cut it to my specifications and tried to make it look as much like my hair as it had been before.

I didn't know at that point that the American Cancer Society gives away wigs for free... I had a woman send me a second one in the mail after she met me so that I could have a different style if I wanted. That was really nice of her. I also have a cheap party wig that's pink, but that was $15. :)

The laughable thing though is that I needed a custom lymphedema sleeve, which cost around $1700. My insurance paid $13. I got the check and I said to my husband, "Do you think they left some zeros off?"

A wig I could have lived without. The lymphedema sleeve? Not so much. (The physical therapist that fitted me for the sleeve got me a grant and told me I'd never have to pay for a sleeve. I was in tears at that point because they had told me I needed a new one every 6 months and that it would be at least $1200, and my insurance might only pay 10%... yeah, more like less than 1%.)

ETA: Even women with Alopecia often find their wigs not covered. Long story short: if you have extra wigs laying around, please donate them to your local branch of the American Cancer Society. It will seriously make someone's day if not their year.

Last edited:

vintageTink

One Too Many
I hope it's at least full lace.
My insurance cheeses me off. They refuse to cover necessary hormones.

Anyway, do the OP ever find if anyone else could perm her hair?

agirlinwinter

New in Town
Hi, I have given up on trying to curl my hair. It just refuses to curl and I am not willing to lose the good condition it has by trying a succession of stronger perms.

Alas, I've had some personal problems that have left me feeling depressed and so I've given up on vintage style for the moment. I don't even feel like putting on my red lipstick.

betty3303

New in Town
Oh dear, sorry that you are feeling so low. I sincerely hope things pick up for you and you can find a little happiness whatever your style. x :hug:

agirlinwinter

New in Town
Thank you. I miss my red lipstick! It feels like the other me has gone on holiday for a while. I don't know when she'll be back. In the meantime, my hair is scraped back in a ponytail and I'm wearing minimal make up. I don't have the energy for anything else x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk