Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Edgar - New Flm with Leonardo DiCaprio

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll be anxiously awaiting the release of this film. During the War my mother worked for the FBI in D.C. Growing up, I heard a lot about "Director Hoover" and always viewed him as somewhat of a hero. Of course later in life I realized that he was quite a complex individual. I think it is too bad that most "young folks" know him more (if not only) his dress wearing at the time of his death. It will be interesting to see how he is portrayed in this film.

When I saw the trailer, I thought DiCaprio's voice had a very Northeastern inflection, which surprised me, as Hoover was a D.C. native. However, on hearing this video clip, Hoover did indeed have an almost Bostonian pronunciation.

There was a style of speach that had a some what Bostonian effectation that was (may still be) used by those families that consider themselves upper crusty types. There is a sort of attempt of a sort of Anglophile British accent that represents the iconic upper class for many rich American families in the past.

If you see the film Radio Days it is the style that Mia Farrow uses as the Society Program announcer. It has this grandiose sense to it similarly there are several films where people use it and refer to the parental units as "Mater and Pater" usually some collegiate screwball comedy of some sort.

QUOTE=John in Covina;1337466]There was a style of speach that had a some what Bostonian effectation that was (may still be) used by those families that consider themselves upper crusty types. There is a sort of attempt of a sort of Anglophile British accent that represents the iconic upper class for many rich American families in the past.

If you see the film Radio Days it is the style that Mia Farrow uses as the Society Program announcer. It has this grandiose sense to it similarly there are several films where people use it and refer to the parental units as "Mater and Pater" usually some collegiate screwball comedy of some sort.[/QUOTE]

I got my answer by reading this thread last week
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?59608-Film-television-speech-patterns-from-the-1920s-to-1960s

Edward

Bartender
There was a style of speach that had a some what Bostonian effectation that was (may still be) used by those families that consider themselves upper crusty types. There is a sort of attempt of a sort of Anglophile British accent that represents the iconic upper class for many rich American families in the past.

If you see the film Radio Days it is the style that Mia Farrow uses as the Society Program announcer. It has this grandiose sense to it similarly there are several films where people use it and refer to the parental units as "Mater and Pater" usually some collegiate screwball comedy of some sort.

Would I be right to read this as the Kelsey Grammar sort of accent? He has a fabulously mellifluous voice.

I love DiCaprio most of the time. Same with Eastwood. But honestly, the trailers look bad to me. I hope not. I'll still go see it, or we'll get the screener in the mail, but I had high hopes for this one...

m0nk

One Too Many
I'm looking forward to this one simply because it's Eastwood doing a period piece. His work has gotten better over the years, and when he has an actor of quality to work with, it comes out even better.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The thing is ... Leonardo (aka Arthur Rimbaud / Louis XIV / Howard Hughes / J. Edgar Hoover / Jay Gatsby) DiCaprio likes making movies with vintage themes, and he has the clout in Hollywood to get them made.

*If* I were to write a screenplay about the grand, controversial, and ultimately tragic life of James Oviatt, Los Angeles's "haberdasher to the stars" during the golden era, I'd try to go straight to Leonardo DiCaprio and pitch it to him. *He* could make the film a reality. (Of course, he'd also insist on playing James Oviatt himself. Tit for tat.)
Just do it. Would be a welcome change from a lot of the garbage from Hollywood in recent years, such as all those appalling movie versions of wretched TV shows from the '70s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart