Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Peterman Keeper's Tweed sport jacket

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I just got my jacket today. The photographs above porttray its color accurrately - it is lighter than the Peterman drawing suggests. However, the drawing does a better job of showing the jacket's sharp, angular contours.

It differs from my hacking jackets in that it has four rather then three buttons, heavy shoulder pads, and a belted back. Like the Lambourne, it has a bi-swing back.

Comment: these types of jackets first were developed to keep Englishmen warm in drafty country houses. With heating bills now going up and thermostats going down, their original functionality once again makes sense.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I actually go shooting fairly frequently so this jacket would be really useful. The thing that is throwing me off though is the 4-button closure. Is this period-appropriate? The only 4-button jackets you see today are horrid fashionista affairs.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The four button is more sporting appropriate. You see mainly three, though the four leans more toward the outdoor Norfolk look.The four is more of a military style. I do the two middle buttons and it rolls like a three, though when i lose some weight I will have no qualms about doing up the top most and bottom most buttons.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
How does it compare? and what about the details on the other companies jackets... were they as thorough as J. Peterman?

All Lambourne and Barbour jackets are as thorough if not more thorough than the Peterman.

Barbour Tweed Beaufort: A somewhat heavier, longer jacket, I would wear it in 10 degrees cooler weather. Has more extensive inner pockets. No action back. No rear belt. Double-vet. No heavy shoulder pads. 4-button plus zipper. Can close jacket about collar.

Barbour Hacking Jacket. Perhaps a tad bit heavier. A bit shorter. More extensive inner pockets. No action back. No rear belt. Single vent. No heavy sholder pads. 3-button. Can close jacket about collar.

Lambourne Hacking Jacket. As heavy. Shorter. Similar inner pockets. Action back. No rear belt. Double-vent. No heavy shoulder pads. 3-button. Can close jacket about collar.

Lambourne Jacket. Much lighter - the only one I would wear in summer. Shorter. Similar inner pockets. Action back. No rear belt. Double-vent. 3-button-high gorge. No heavy shoulder pads.

Except for the tweed Beaufort, all generally are tailored like British (Huntsman) - style sporting jackets. Both hacking jackets are heavier than most sporting jackets and have a robust air about them.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Does the Lambrone look like this, I've been debating one of these all year.

45075_32

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer

http://s7ondemand1.scene7.com/is/ima...Post/45075_32?

That looks a lot like the last, lightweight Lambourne I mentioned and not the hacking jacket, which apparently is not currently available on Sierra Trading Post.

I'm a little but unsure whether it is the same as mine because the Sierra Trading Post description mentions "special Teflon?Ç¬Æ treatment that renders it water resistant," and I don't remember such a description for my jacket.

Still, they look a lot alike.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Regarding Lambourne jackets

Nick Charles said:

45075_32

Nick & Mad,

I am a devoted patron of Lambourne and its cousin Christopher Dawes. I own six jackets and several pairs of trousers from this firm(s?). The Jackets range from a lightweight district check that is comfortable in the summer, to a light, dressy glen plaid for early Fall, to a hefty lovat Harris Tweed for later Fall, to a very heavy HT shooting jacket with suede shoulder and elbow patches. All are three-button, with high, suppressed waists. Most have action backs, one is belted, several have hacking pockets. For daytime in the country or on campus, I never wear anything else.

Regards, --Jack

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
The Mad Hatter said:
Besides Sierra Trading Post, where do you get these?

My country collection is the result of 15 years of constant vigilance at the STP store online and occasional visits to the Cheyenne, WY store. But now, thanks to you, I have another potential source at Live Ebay Auction removed, you may place auctions in Classifieds--Matt Deckard

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
The Mad Hatter said:
Besides Sierra Trading Post, where do you get these?

Mad, You might try this:
CHRISTOPHER DAWES LTD
CHAPEL FIELD BARN 2 OLD BANK RIPPONDEN SOWERBY BRIDGE, WEST YORKSHIREENG HX6 4DG
Voice: 011-44-1-42-282-2401; Fax: 011-44-142-282-2401

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
...or this:
Lambourne Clothing International Ltd
Unit 2/Rutherford Centre/18 Dunlop Rd
Hadleigh Road Industrial Estate
Ipswich
IP2 0UG

Telephone: 01473 250404​

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Keeper's Jacket

Guys,

Here's what you are calling a 'keepers jacket' in Donegal Tweed by Bladen Brothers that I picked up in a charity shop for the equivalent of $5. They're not uncommon in the UK and Ireland.

Note the chest pockets and the bellows pockets, also the biswing back and removable belt. It's from the 60s by the label, but is the same design as the 30s and is in unworn condition.

6427e567.jpg

faad5711.jpg

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo