Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket zipper pulls, medallions and charms.

I had this guy on one of my jackets for a long while but I got too lazy to switch it around every time I'd get something now so I wear it around the neck now.

20201005-180231.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Steve McQueen served in the U.S. Marines from 1947-1950. He had afew disciplinary issues early on but was honorably discharged (he even saved the lives of 5 fellow Marines in the Arctic when their armored vehicle broke through the ice of a frozen lake).

I stand corrected! Funnily enough, I did double check online in case I missed that but found no reference to it, which is interesting. Maybe used the wrong search terms. Maybe it isn't front and centre to the same degree because his service fell between wars?

How bout we get this thread back on track in a friendly way so possibly some others can show their 'zipper pulls' without a somewhat heated debate which can turn some off.
HD

Quite so. It's fairly normal for things to meander here, but this is something we've gone around with before, so agreed, let's get back to original intent.

I'm a big fan of the dice-puller on one of your jackets. Somewhere I have a bag full of stamped-aluminium, Chinese 'lucky coins' I picked up in Beijing years ago; I intend, when I get the length of my M442a prject jacket, to use a few of those as a puller attached to the zip. In civilian jackets, I've become a big fan of the 'ball-chain' pull look on a breast pocket; it would be pretty cool to attach a die or similar to something like that.

Monitor's cat(?) is cool. I like cat stuff; I have a black cat patch I search a long time for just the 'right' one to go on a future jacket, a nod to my much-missed little Marlene who I like to think of watching over me now when I'm out and about.

Monitor's cat(?) is cool. I like cat stuff; I have a black cat patch I search a long time for just the 'right' one to go on a future jacket, a nod to my much-missed little Marlene who I like to think of watching over me now when I'm out and about.

Haha, it's a beaver I think. My dad loved that First Nations stuff and when he got back from Canada, he brought it back along with a tooth of some kind. I remember him telling me how disappointed he was 'cause turns out, most of the FN is made in China. And it's true! I couldn't find anything worth buying when I was there. Freaking mugs, notebooks and stuff like that with generic indigenous people "art". Worst was, they all had stuff made of leather but it was all made in China! Come on, man.

thor

One Too Many
6A55A554-0670-4EE1-931E-452C7094B174.jpeg 3CD73FC1-B41F-4544-8E69-69E7C40E147B.jpeg
Military ID “dog” tags make an excellent zipper pull; I have my original boot camp issued tags on one of my jackets but you can have customized ones engraved with just about anything.
Another idea is a medical alert type ID tag for anyone who regularly wears one.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting idea. I have some Vietnam-style tags somewhere I had made up for when we did South Pacific at school (Yeah, I know! But the local army surplus had a legit Nam era machine, and in 1992 nobody had the web to know the tags looked different. nor would the audience have noticed from twenty feet away, as they were....) They might be abit big for that. If I could find the *right* usb thingy with a nice aesthetic, that could be a good option (I've seen some USB drives designed as keychains for motorcyclists with the 'In Case of Emergency' legend, the idea being to store important personal info on there. A fancy modern dog tag, really....).

Haha, it's a beaver I think. My dad loved that First Nations stuff and when he got back from Canada, he brought it back along with a tooth of some kind. I remember him telling me how disappointed he was 'cause turns out, most of the FN is made in China. And it's true! I couldn't find anything worth buying when I was there. Freaking mugs, notebooks and stuff like that with generic indigenous people "art". Worst was, they all had stuff made of leather but it was all made in China! Come on, man.

Global capitalism for ya.... But hey, I remember gonig into a souvenir shop in the Old Country in 1982 and being reduced to helpless fits of the giggles by the "Genuine Irish Leprechauns, Made in China" sign printed bold as you like on the top of the display box...

I had the same experience in China itself - went to the military museum looking for some cool, Chinese military souvenirs; naught but kiddy toys designed to look like US military. Same thing with the army surplus stores there - all knock offs of US gear, nothing the Chinese actually use apart from the odd PLA hat. Still curious to see if I could find one of their leather flying jackets, though I'd be doubtful of finding one in my "Western" sizing...

My Aunt visited Toronto back in the Sixties and saw the local reservation. Brought back some cool stuff. Shame to think it's no longer local crafts and supporting the FN themselves.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars

With that tail and the teeth, it's definitely a beaver. Although every time I see it in this thread, all I can think about is the Heritage Coffee Company logo in Juneau...

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 7.24.48 AM.png
https://fwtmagazine.com/cruising-alaska-with-holland-america/

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I have video game imaginary badge on one of my jacket, another has cross on the upper back, and another have also another video game logo on the upper back, that's all, I don't hang anything on the pulls other than leather pull tab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112