Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Tati - Vacances De M Hulot - Cut?

Talbot

One Too Many
I know there is another thread on this, but my question was a little different and I didn't want it lost.

I am a big fan of Tati, and have seen all (I think) his films, Jour De Fete, M Hulots Holidays, Mon Oncle, Playtime, Traffic and Parade.

I remember seeing Mr Hulot's Holidays at the cinema when I was a child, and clearly recall a scene where he struggles at the beach with a folding deck chair.

This scene is not in the release I have. It turns out that about 30 mins was cut from the orginal release for western audiences, and I'm assuming that this scene is probably one of casualties.

Does any one have a long version, and can they tell where I can source a copy.

I have the Madman release, but the Criterion release is the same length.

Thanks

Talbot

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Talbot said:
I remember seeing Mr Hulot's Holidays at the cinema when I was a child, and clearly recall a scene where he struggles at the beach with a folding deck chair.

This scene is not in the release I have. It turns out that about 30 mins was cut from the orginal release for western audiences, and I'm assuming that this scene is probably one of casualties.

Does any one have a long version, and can they tell where I can source a copy.

Now that you mention it, I remember the folding chair scene, too. I first saw that film in the theater, too.

I have the Criterion DVD; it's 87 minutes, right? I have the Criterion laser disc in storage. I'll check it next time I'm over there.

Zarniwoop

New in Town
I watched the Criterion DVD edition of Mr Hulot's Holidays last night and the deck chair routine was not in it. I have definitely seen it somewhere. I have all the other criterion Tati disks and will watch them over this week to see weather I can find which film it is in.
I also have David Bellos's biography of him which I can look up once I can clear a way to the bookshelf.
A brilliant comedian, mime and director. Once you read his biography you can see how tragic and commited he was to his art even to the point of losing all his money.

Talbot

One Too Many
Thanks guys

Going by the DVD feature length is a little misleading as sometimes they include the length of the trailers and special features.

It sure bugs me to know there is a lot of one of my favorite films missing:( .

I might try the blogs over at tativille. If I find anything I'll let you know.

Cheers

Talbot

http://www.tativille.com/

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
DeeDub said:
I have the Criterion laser disc in storage. I'll check it next time I'm over there.

I went to storage and either that disc is in a box I couldn't get to or I sold that disc when I got the DVD.

So I tried looking for specs on the laser disc and ran across this little tidbit at
http://www.combustiblecelluloid.com/mrhulot.shtml:

"I rented the Criterion laserdisc of Mr. Hulot's Holiday. The running time is 86 minutes, but Tati's French version runs 114 minutes... Normally, a company like Criterion presents the full version, but I suspect that Tati didn't understand the power of brevity in comedy, and Criterion knew that. I have a feeling that the cut footage was a necessity."

I don't agree with the author's eager acceptance of Criterion's judgment over M. Tati's, particularly considering the 28 minute difference must exclude a whole lot more than the beach chair sequence.

Talbot

One Too Many
I know Hulot had trouble with the deck chair, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't for 28 mins!

There was a reason for the cuts, but it hinges on what the reasons were

'I have a feeling that the cut footage was a necessity'

This is pure conjecture until both versions are viewed.

'I suspect that Tati didn't understand the power of brevity in comedy and Criterion knew that'

And Einstein didn't understand physics....

I'm reminded of something Tarantino said when he was asked why he didn't release directors cuts of his films - "I make the film I want to make the first time"

Why didn't they include the cut 28 min in the disc special features? I'd buy another just for that.

I bet my turn in the bathroom that the reason behind cuts were of a commercial nature, not Tati's strong point.

Tati is revered in France, 114 min uncut French versions must exist, even if only on celluloid.

I saw one as a child and loved it. I want to see it again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran