Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Tati *ROCKS!*

JeffOYB

Vendor
I didn't see a thread with his name in it here, so here's one now!

If you like the beauty of ART and tradition AND modernity...watch ALL of his films.

That's all I got ta say! : )

The music, the scenes, the clothes, the cars, the buildings, the bikes, the things that happen... all of it... LOVELY... ASTOUNDING...

See, I didn't shut up. Couldn't.

Mon Oncle. Mr. Hulot's Holiday. Playtime.

Those are perhaps the big 3. If you're into STYLE. WATCH THEM ALL!

Also, they're great for the whole family. They have more content, art and class than anything else anyone will make this year, that's for sure. They're BIG.

What's really sweet and neat is that they don't hardly have any subtitles. They aren't word-driven. Just open your eyes. And ears.

surely

A-List Customer
Yes, those are good movies. Seeing them and others of that era helped me see that style developed earlier in Europe than NAmerica.

I just noticed, you look like him!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There are a number of his films available on DVD now. I particularly loved Jour de Fete. Not much plot, just vignettes of a small French village when a travelling fair comes to town. You see just how much of medieval life still persisted in rural Europe, even after the War. Tati is just wonderful.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think I have seen them all. Or at least 3. I loved them. I saw the one about the mailman. I saw Jour du Fete, but I cannot remember what happened. I saw the uncle one, which reminded me of Celine's Death on the Installment Plan for some reason (but more lighthearted, naturellement). Which one had the automatic modern robotic house with the automatic doors? Was that the uncle one?

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Mon Oncle are in my top 10 of all time. I see something different every time I watch them. There's just nobody like Jacques Tati.

I've seen Jour de Fete, Playtime, and Traffic. I've got them on my list to add to my DVD collection. Hulot and Oncle were among the first of my laser discs to get updated to DVD.

Check out Wikipedia for an overview of Jacques Tati's life and career.

JeffOYB

Vendor
I think "Fete" would be the mailman one, with circus, village.

"Oncle" has robot house and quaint neighborhood.

"Playtime" has modern offices and office life plus the astounding (hour-long?) restaurant-party scene.

"Holiday" is about family vacation life at a seaside resort.

I haven't seen "Traffic."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic