Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Dean Jacket

robrinay

One Too Many
Apologies for resurrecting this old thread but I spotted this 'reversible parka' in a Uniqlo shop. Ok it has a hood not a pointed collar and the cuffs are not quite correct and the lining isn't fluffy etc. but and it's a big but - it's made of shiny nylon in the correct colour (select the red version once you've opened the link), the drape is correct and it's cheap! I'll post better pics of the one I bought tomorrow if you're interested. It might even be possible for a perfectionist to get a tailor to fashion a collar from the hood?

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/men-reversible-parka-182577.html

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Many years ago I was at a party in NY when a guitar player from a big-time punk band came in wearing a red Harrington jacket, and he looked great. Somebody mentioned James Dean, and I said to myself that I had to get one. So, several years later I found one in a used-clothing store (in red!), took it home, and admired myself in front of the mirror. Then my wife said, "Wait a minute" and disappeared. When she came back she put an old houndstooth cap on my head and said, "Now you look just like your dad when he goes golfing!" Too true.

basbol13

A-List Customer
Here are some detail pics of a 1950s Antifreeze which looks pretty close to the correct model - wrong colour but apparently can be dyed red with Jacquard Acid Dye after using Rit colour remover to take the green out. I probably won't do that as I like it this colour but maybe after a while?
Detail pics here-
http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/robrinay/library/McGregor Antifreeze

As I was led to believe the James Dean jacket was actually the McGregor Drizzler

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/septis/item/6-2047/?s-id=borderless_recommend_item_en

robrinay

One Too Many
If the original had been a Drizzler, it wasn't that rakuten version - pocket detail wrong (no piping on original) and original had a shiny nylon (polyamide) outer not rayon and cotton as in this one. Perhaps the seller is trying to cash in on the James Dean - McGregor link with a similar McGregor jacket? I'm no expert on the film jackets' identity but I suspect some of the the members above in this thread are and they seem to agree it was an Antifreeze or a 'personalised' jacket based on one.

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
Thanks. Done it have that nylon sheen?

I wouldn't say it has a sheen. It's not dull but it doesn't really shine either.
I will say I am pleased as someone who has always liked the jacket and the movie from which it has become iconic.

I'll get some pics once I'm home from work today.

It is great jacket and for $75 USD and being Made in the USA. It is really the best choice I've found. Ive looked for a long time for such a jacket. There are maybe more "authentic" versions, but they are costly.

There is conjecture that the actual jacket James Dean wore was a jacket that had been modified by the wardrobe man for the movie. If that is the case, we won't find one unless it is an exact reproduction. Which again is going to quite costly.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I guess what I see in the movie version and in the originals is the glossy sheen of nylon - almost like an MA-1 fight nylon. To me a replica needs to have that quality too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk