Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Dean Jacket

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I accept any of those stories about 3 jackets and Dean taking one.

Movie jackets like this - the Indy Jones jacket especially - generate all kinds of origin stories that end up being inaccurate, even those provided by people involved in the film. In fact, the maker of the first Indy Jones jacket himself is a notoriously unreliable historian about his own production so....

But this new ebay tale is an enjoyable addition. You've got to wonder about the legitimacy of the provenance.

Last edited:

robrinay

One Too Many
Here's a thought - Spiewak made this jacket in the early 60s. I wonder if there was an earlier model circa 1955, with the same dark lining maybe with an elasticated waist and a slightly different pocket detail and a label that looked like a Mcgregor label? - or maybe the wardrobe department made those changes so they'd have an 'Antifreeze' with dark lining? - only joking.

Attachments

• IMG_2266.PNG
    IMG_2266.PNG
    821.6 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
How does one purchase this particular jacket? I couldn't find a link. It's a beautiful version of the jacket and I'd love to own one.

Thanks!

The post from the Johnson website is dated 2014 so I guess they likely don't sell it anymore. Would be watching eBay or the 2nd hand market only I guess.

johnny rocket 7

New in Town

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@johnny rocket, that's a great jacket, and awesome value for money! I'm gonna get one!

Like Peacoat says, it's gotta have that 'sheen' of man-made fabric, or it just isn't right. This is why I haven't bothered with any of the cheap cotton jackets- they just don't look right.

But Daddy O's is polyester/rayon, so should have correct 'sheen'.

johnny rocket 7

New in Town
I think Nic Ray did not like the shine of one of the jackets so he had another made that would not shine as much. I don't know how true that is, I think I read it in one of the many bio books on Dean that are out there.
If anyone like books on the details of James Dean's death—one of the best is by Warren Newton Beath. I've talked with him a couple of times and he's a very nice guy with much research under his belt about the Dean.

51ObzyDHQtL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:

robrinay

One Too Many
Well I’m curious about the lining not being grey, and the label looking nothing like the one in the still pics from the film but it’s possible a variety of jackets were worn in the film and the style looks right - maybe Berma and McGregor jackets were used? I understand that it’s usual to have several jackets in filming, as in the many used in ‘Raiders’ with varying amounts of wear?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
In an action film like Raiders there might be 8-10 of the same jacket - for stunts, doubles and action scenes. In a small domestic drama like Rebel maybe 2 or 3 jackets, with a main, 'hero' jacket worn by the star. But why different brands? Could be there was a stunt jacket. This jacket story is as mysterious as Who killed Kennedy?

It's not unusual to have scrappy, hand written letters from people involved as provenance.

Technonut

Practically Family

I've had this one close to 10 years now... :cool: Nice, comfortable, cotton jacket, but I do not delude myself into thinking it's anywhere near what was used on-screen. :p IIRC, it set me back around 70 bucks new.

EDIT: Damn... I just checked the Bay to see if I could find the above jacket, and while browsing the sold listings, I saw this Anti-Freeze which sold for $540.00... :eek:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-1950-039-RED-MCGREGOR-ANTI-FREEZE-WINDBREAKER-JAMES-DEAN-JACKET-/272987089126?hash=item3f8f4c68e6:g:KZAAAOSwPAxaNxAd&nma=true&si=Y1GsjQXqX0NWacVjddqH5GfQlQo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

EDIT: Here's an Anti-Freeze ad from 1953:

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo