Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Dean Jacket

Hard to get great pics of it, but these two show the moderate sheen...

RebelWOAC-010.jpg

rebel-without-a-cause.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Hard to tell from the film lighting. I agree, it could be nylon, though I'd have expected more of a shine than that - especially in the second shot.

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
I took a quick snap this morning. It's very hard to capture the color well with indoor lighting. It is not made of nylon. It has a slight sheen to it but not a super high sheen.

The movie jacket did seem like it's high sheen in some shots we see of it. Hope this helps.
20170303_074655.jpg

robrinay

One Too Many
Here are some detail pics of a 1950s Antifreeze which looks pretty close to the correct model - wrong colour but apparently can be dyed red with Jacquard Acid Dye after using Rit colour remover to take the green out. I probably won't do that as I like it this colour but maybe after a while?
Detail pics here

Well I did what I said I'd do - using a large enamel pot on the stove, 2 hours simmering in Rit colour remover (it came out pale yellow), rinsed washed and then 30 minutes simmering in Jacquard Acid dye (flame red - not quite right but close enough for me).ps I removed the label to prevent it being dyed.

All the original stitching was re-dyed red, the zipper tape went a dark pink and only recent repairs to the stitching didn't dye (they were probably made of polyester which doesn't take these dyes). the fabric and the stitching do not appear to have been damaged by the two processes.

Last edited:

johnny rocket 7

New in Town
https://www.johnsonmotorsinc.com/blogs/news/14770277-that-red-jacket

RED_INSIDE.jpg

OK it's 8/24/2017 this is what I came across for the James Dean Red Jacket:

jacket is a medium weight 10 oz 100% cotton dry-wax treated, with brass zipper and elasticated waist at the back. Button cuffs, and two slash-cut D-Squared front pockets.
The license plate number of Jimmy's Porsche 550 Spyder is
printed into the inside back of the jacket in memory of our favorite young American.

DEAN .jpg

Last edited:

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars

View attachment 83415

OK it's 8/24/2017 this is what I came across for the James Dean Red Jacket:

jacket is a medium weight 10 oz 100% cotton dry-wax treated, with brass zipper and elasticated waist at the back. Button cuffs, and two slash-cut D-Squared front pockets.
The license plate number of Jimmy's Porsche 550 Spyder is
printed into the inside back of the jacket in memory of our favorite young American.

https://www.johnsonmotorsinc.com/blogs/news/14770277-that-red-jacket View attachment 83414
How does one purchase this particular jacket? I couldn't find a link. It's a beautiful version of the jacket and I'd love to own one.

Thanks!

robrinay

One Too Many
If anyone doubts that JamesDean wore a McGregor Antifreeze in Rebel, can I suggest that they do the same as creebobby suggested above and buy the DVD of Rebel Without a Cause and go forward a frame at a time in the scene where he hands the jacket over to Plato. I have done this too. The label on that jacket is fuzzy but looks to be a McGregor Antifreeze label. It looks nothing like the Berman label. I suppose the jackets are close enough in colour and design that the props dept may have used both brands in the film?

Last edited:

johnny rocket 7

New in Town
If anyone doubts that JamesDean wore a McGregor Antifreeze in Rebel, can I suggest that they do the same as suggested above and buy the DVD of Rebel Without a Cause and go forward a frame at a time in the scene where he hands the jacket over to Plato. I have done this too. The label on that jacket is fuzzy but looks to be a McGregor Antifreeze label. It looks nothing like the Berman label. I suppose the jackets are close enough in color and design that the props dept may have used both brands in the film?
I've heard over the years that three jackets were used for the filming of Rebel. I do think Deans dad ended up with one of the red jackets.
The only person I could think of that would know all the minuet details would be the owner of The James Dean Gallery in Fairmount, Indiana—David Lohur @ 765-948-3326. David is a very nice person and would love to talk about details concerning anything Dean.

If anyone doubts that JamesDean wore a McGregor Antifreeze in Rebel, can I suggest that they do the same as creebobby suggested above and buy the DVD of Rebel Without a Cause and go forward a frame at a time in the scene where he hands the jacket over to Plato. I have done this too. The label on that jacket is fuzzy but looks to be a McGregor Antifreeze label. It looks nothing like the Berman label. I suppose the jackets are close enough in colour and design that the props dept may have used both brands in the film?
There's "hero" props and then others. Quite common to use other items in background shots as opposed to the closeups where the details are seen. Take "Red Tails" - I know Good Wear made plenty of Hero jackets and then there's "lesser" jackets in the background as nobody could tell and you're not going to suit up background players with $2k jackets.
Quite possible there's more than one JD jacket, and more than one label...

johnny rocket 7

New in Town
Further elaboration on Dean's famous jacket is an excerpt from the Johnson Motors site:

When James Dean finished shooting his second motion picture film, Rebel Without A Cause, he refused to return his character's jacket to the wardrobe department and instead kept it for his own personal use. It was to become his favorite jacket.

Many have stated that this was made by the company Baracuta, but that's incorrect. Rebel's costume designer Moss Mabry would later state that he cut and sewed the jacket himself for Dean's character Jim Stark. We have chosen this timeless jacket as inspiration for our Dry-Waxed Cotton Windcheater.

On September 30, 1955 he would pull in to Blackwell's Corner to re-fuel and grab a bite. He chatted with a couple of other racers, Lance Reventlow and Bruce Kessler, also heading to Salinas. He bid his new friends good luck and would see them at the track. He grabbed his red jacket from behind the Porsche's seat and put it on, as the PCH 1 coastal route ahead would be chilled as the sun set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21