Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jaxon Hats

Dave E

One of the Regulars
I've got one and wore it a fair bit through the winter quite happily. I certainly prefer fur felts, but it is a lot more substantial than the Christys crushable I have.

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
I don't have their crushable C crown, but I do have their Diamond Crown (wool), the Detroit (fur), and the Rudeboy/Frank (fur).
The Diamond Crown is basically a porkpie and is fine for a wool hat. It's quite comfortable and I wear it as a beater. Plus it was very inexpensive. For some reason, it's one of my wife's favorite hats on me.
The Rudeboy never fit right for some reason. I also thought that an extremely short brim would look nice on me. Uh, no.
The Detroit is very nice in my opinion. It has a slightly longer "hair" to it giving it an almost velvet look. Almost. The Detroit is a very comfortable, nice looking hat, and I wore it a lot last winter. Is it the same quality as say, and Akubra? No. But still a decent hat.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Don't know nothin' about no c-crown, but the Iconoclast is a great hat, especially for the bucks

Us workin' stiffs who can't afford a couple hundred bucks for a lid can get a lot of use out of a $60 Iconoclast

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jaxon Iconoclast IS FUR FELT.

Sam Craig said:
Us workin' stiffs who can't afford a couple hundred bucks for a lid can get a lot of use out of a $60 Iconoclast

Whoa, cowboy. I too am a union dues paying, card carrying blue collar working class hero & a member of IWW (dues not current, I'm afraid :eek: ).

All that folderol aside the Jaxon Iconoclast is a fur felt. Apples & oranges, my friend.

donnc

One of the Regulars
Rick Blaine said:
All that folderol aside the Jaxon Iconoclast is a fur felt.

And a wool felt. Haven't seen either one in person, but it appears they made a fur one and a wool one.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Last year, for several months I wore a dark grey (it was almost black, and the picture advertised it to be light grey...) Jaxon wool C-Crown fedora. I still have it, but I stopped wearing it when I received my first fur felt, the Federation IV, as a Christmas gift. The C-Crown was however, my first non-straw fedora (I bought a cheap Panama around the same time), and I enjoyed wearing it around, most notably to a family cruise vacation, Disneyland, school, and sometimes to church. I also got quite a few compliments for it. The problem with it now, is that the brim is pretty warped after long exposure to the elements, and it has a permanent wrinkle when I push the front of the brim down as well. Basically, it's pretty much retired.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Sam Craig said:
Don't know nothin' about no c-crown, but the Iconoclast is a great hat, especially for the bucks

Us starving artists have the same issue. (Broke students too.)

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
ether823,

I cannot speak to the exact models you mention, but, overall, the Jaxon line of headgear provides good bang for the buck.

If you're not a hat-guy and just want a decent crushable without spending too much, go for the Jaxon.

However, taking the longer view, you'll be much happier if you save up about $120 for the Traveller, an Akubra crushable pure fur felt that will last practically a lifetime.

Wyrd

Familiar Face
Rick Blaine said:

thats the one i have, they are still selling them from here.

http://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/sessionID/GEN/Jaxon-Hats-Wool-Iconoclast-Fedora-P135050/

Its a uk site though..

heres mine

DSC07475.jpg

ether823

New in Town
Many thanks gents for your views. I think i`ll get one. For £26 in the UK, thats not going to break the bank. Regards, Peter.

leo

One of the Regulars
I bought a black and gray (in the pinch style) at their San Diego store in 2007. Collectively, they survived being flattened in luggage for 12 hours, sat on by humans, animals, and objects, and some snow and rain. During the winter, I kept one in the car as a spare/emergency hat. I once switched one with an older felt Dobbs I had been wearing before exiting into a wet snowfall.

The lesser used gray one shows the minor creases/waves more than the black. Cheap but effective hats. But I got my money's worth from them.

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
Rick Blaine said:
Wool hats are seldom a good idea, IMO.

I appreciate the above sentiment and this is a site that deals a lot with personal taste and style. Don't get me wrong, I love my fur felts, but I also love many of my wool felts. One of the factors that goes into my individual purchasing calculus is often price for value. That is to say, a brand new wool felt for 26 Pound Sterling (roughly 40 dollars American) can be a great hat that will serve you well for years, I'll bet you dollars to donuts. But a new fur felt for 26 pounds? That, Sir, will be a lousy hat, probably made from the underlines of feral alley cats...if there is such a hat for sale.
Anyway, if all you have or want to spend is $40, I don't see how you could go wrong on that Jaxon.

I've got a few wool crushers, Stetsons & other brands, that have & continue to serve me well. I wear them hiking & canoing, never risking a decent fur felt but keeping the sun, wind & rain off my noggin just fine.

thebroker

One of the Regulars
The pinch crown model was my first snap brim fedora purchase. I got the grey one with black band, and I loved it...I wore it regularly until I bought my first Stetson. The Jaxon is unlined, with a cloth sweatband...not nearly as fancy as Stetson's wool felt hats. However, it's still a great hat for the value...sharp, and I've gotten good service out of it. I still slip it on occasionally if I'm running out the door and it's pouring the rain. I think it's a great "starter hat". I wear a suit most days, and I have to say, for less than forty bucks, it's a sharp dress hat!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley